Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2019, 07:42 PM   #1

I want to buy a small used trailer ...

Which is the best city for finding a larger selection of small used trailers? Tucson, Albuquerque or Phoenix? Just want to know where the best availability is not necessarily the best dealer. Thx
AtexInTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:54 PM   #2

Go on-line, search those three places for dealers and start a comparison.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:07 PM   #3

Our search took us 2 1/2 years of online shopping, driving all over God’s creation and getting totally frustrated. We finally found our used trailer at a large, major dealer where we least expected to find it. So my suggestion would be to look everywhere. And I hope your search doesn’t take as long!
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:22 PM   #4

Yes, online search ... but ...

I'm not lazy but was hoping to find someone who had already gone through the search areas I had mentioned.

I'm hoping not to spend more than 2 mos in my search - starting Nov. 1 I'll be boondocking/stealth living in my Dodge Caravan which will be a challenge as I'm also doing some telephone training - even with live clients now and then (but I use a hotel for the live clients - not the back end of my caravan).
Old 10-10-2019, 01:39 PM   #5

The inventory is constantly changing. Search.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:11 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtexInTx View Post
I'm not lazy but was hoping to find someone who had already gone through the search areas I had mentioned.

I'm hoping not to spend more than 2 mos in my search - starting Nov. 1 I'll be boondocking/stealth living in my Dodge Caravan which will be a challenge as I'm also doing some telephone training - even with live clients now and then (but I use a hotel for the live clients - not the back end of my caravan).
IF your minivan has the factory tow package, you're limited to a trailer with a GVWR of 3500lbs and a max loaded tongue weight of 350lbs.
There's no way of telling you which city has the best selection of small used trailers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
IF your minivan has the factory tow package, you're limited to a trailer with a GVWR of 3500lbs and a max loaded tongue weight of 350lbs.
There's no way of telling you which city has the best selection of small used trailers.
My GVTR is 3,600 according to the manual and my new hitch will carry 4,500 with a tongue weight of 400 lbs. I don't have a tow pkg.

Also, much like sports recruiters, I'm looking for info on finding the area that has the highest * probability * for finding what I want. Availability in different areas fluctuates but given 3-4 different cities, my question is which is more likely to have what I'm seeking based upon several decades of people buying/selling trailers in these different cities. I'll bet some geek knows but, I'm not going to belabor the point.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:27 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtexInTx View Post
My GVTR is 3,600 according to the manual and my new hitch will carry 4,500 with a tongue weight of 400 lbs. I don't have a tow pkg.
Just because you had an aftermarket hitch receiver added, doesn't mean that your minivan has the 4500lbs towing capability.
You have to go by the max numbers for your minivan, when equipped with the factory tow package. For a Caravan, that GVTR number is ONLY if it has the full factory tow package, which you don't have.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:38 PM   #9

My 'guess' would be Tucson due to the year round camping available and Tucson tends to be less expensive than the other two cities. However, there are other small cities in the area that have lots of rvers and dealers.

You might want to try a 'consignment' rv dealer. Another good resource is rv trader.com.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Just because you had an aftermarket hitch receiver added, doesn't mean that your minivan has the 4500lbs towing capability.
You have to go by the max numbers for your minivan, when equipped with the factory tow package. For a Caravan, that GVTR number is ONLY if it has the full factory tow package, which you don't have.

From what I've read, I believe this to be correct. BUT, you would not believe how many different pieces of input I've gotten from different sources and, as a newbie, I'm still trying to understand all the terminology.

I'm just thinking I can pull a trailer with a loaded weight of around 3,400 lbs (2,900 dry + 500 cargo).

I just found out that I have an "integrated" transmission cooler that comes from the factory so I don't need to have one installed. This is after a mechanic told me that I'll need a transmission cooler (he evidently was not familiar with my Dodge Caravan).
Old 10-10-2019, 07:07 PM   #11

Decide what you want. Narrow it down to 3 or 4 brands and 3 or 4 models in those brands.
Then use RV Trader. https://www.rvtrader.com/

You should find what you're looking for, and then you can just go buy it.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
Decide what you want. Narrow it down to 3 or 4 brands and 3 or 4 models in those brands.
Then use RV Trader. https://www.rvtrader.com/

You should find what you're looking for, and then you can just go buy it.

Hi Jim,

Well I'm searching a number of places and I'm not concerned about brand or model - only weight, layout, condition, price $8-10K and a couple of other things. I want a 2015 - 2018 but most are 2019-2020. Should be better pickings as winter comes along.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:46 PM   #13

I think it depends on what style and layout of a camper you are looking for. Once you find a floorplan that you like then use rvtrader.com or similar website to see where you can find it. Someone near where you live could have one they are selling. These websites list new/used and for sale by dealer or owner.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:33 PM   #14

I'm thinking that since youth are on the Forest River forum, you should research the R-Pod. I don't know the whole FR tow behind lineup, but that's one on a quick search that might meet your weight limitations. You're not going to be able to to tow much more than that.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:50 AM   #15

Mine

I have a 2016 Forest River Microlite, 21DS for sale.
I live in the Atlanta area.
rwatson908 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer