Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2021, 08:46 PM   #1

Il to Bryce alternate routes

Back in 2016 we took a trip to Ruby's in Bryce Canyon, took the I-70 route up and over the IKE. We are considering doing it again this year, different truck and trailer this time around, and though I know the F350 will have NO issues pulling our 3660 up and over, there is that one stretch through Utah that is 120 miles without any services that I would like to avoid. I do plan to replace the 26 gallon fuel tank with a 50 gallon tank, but I still remember the F-150 over heating through that stretch due to using low octane fuel and not paying attention to the grades. The 3.5EB is so damned strong that I didn't notice the 6% grade until the DING truck overheating warning went off. It pulls like no tomorrow, in a high gear(that was my mistake, should have downed a gear had I paid attention to the grades), and while it didn't leave me stranded, I did have to pull over for it to cool down, and it was 115* outside that day. It wasn't very far from a lookout place, so was able to top off the coolant with the water from the trailer, and then a HUGE gust of wind rolled in and nearly tipped the trailer over, it rocked enough that the truck was lifted up. Glad I wasn't driving when it did that!

What alternate routes are there without long stretches without services? I was thinking I-80 around Colorado, but someone mentioned there is a similar stretch. It will probably be late July, Early August like last time, so will be HOT in CO and Utah once again. Everything checks out on the truck, but you never know.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:34 PM   #2

Yessiree that stretch of I-70 out past Green River can be intimidating. Lonely and beautiful but when the wind blows down right scary.
You can drop down to Hanksville on Hwy 24 and the make you way through the Capital Reef and Grans Staircase/Escalante Country. I did it with my half to and 5th wheel no problem just be ready for a lot of mountain driving. But it is country that is wild as can be. You come out to Bryce Canyon, maybe stop at Zion or on down to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Monument Valley and Arches National Monument and Moab are great places as well.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:24 AM   #3

Whichever route I take I have to keep in mind that my rig is 60' long. The 3660 is over 42'.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:46 AM   #4

I-80 in Wyoming can be just as windy or worse! How about waiting in Grand Junction, CO for a favorable (non-windy) travel day?
PeteBrayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:54 AM   #5

Wind doesn't bother me, the long stretch with no services does. I just happened to have parked in the perfect spot to get hit with a blast of wind that was channeled up from the valley floor between two ridges and got the full blast of it. Only thing I thought was, glad I wasn't driving. All through that drive the winds were calm.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:14 AM   #6

so- take it easy. you learned from the first trip how to go on the IKE.
I pulled a 25 foot hybrid trailer with my SUV through that section after traversing the IKE. i took it easy on the IKE and just followed the trucks, did not push the SUV and coasted down the other side, did not have to brake much at all and did not overheat. hit that 120 mile stretch with a full tank (25 gallons) and came out the other end without any issues and a half tank of gas. we did stop for lunch at a pull out for a trail head just before we entered that stretch. it was a beautiful drive - i would do it again. we went in late June.

I would think any other alternate roads would have more grade issues than the interstate.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
Whichever route I take I have to keep in mind that my rig is 60' long. The 3660 is over 42'.
Eeeyup as big as you are you are going to want to stick to the I-70 route. Top off with fuel in Green River. The west end exit is the best for easy on and off with plenty of parking for a bigger rig.
Old 04-06-2021, 01:52 PM   #8
Dahagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
Eeeyup as big as you are you are going to want to stick to the I-70 route. Top off with fuel in Green River. The west end exit is the best for easy on and off with plenty of parking for a bigger rig.
Why is it that the sign that says 'Next Gas 150 miles' is AFTER the last Green River exit going westbound?
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
Yessiree that stretch of I-70 out past Green River can be intimidating. Lonely and beautiful but when the wind blows down right scary.
You can drop down to Hanksville on Hwy 24 and the make you way through the Capital Reef and Grans Staircase/Escalante Country. I did it with my half to and 5th wheel no problem just be ready for a lot of mountain driving. But it is country that is wild as can be. You come out to Bryce Canyon, maybe stop at Zion or on down to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Monument Valley and Arches National Monument and Moab are great places as well.
I agree; Green River to 24 and Hanksville, then 24 to Torrey, 12 to Bryce. On 12 there's a gradual climb to over 10,000' on Boulder Mountain, then the exciting "hogback" near Boulder crossing a narrow ridge. All good road suitable for any size rig. Fuel at Hanksville, Torrey, Tropic, and Ruby's.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
I agree; Green River to 24 and Hanksville, then 24 to Torrey, 12 to Bryce. On 12 there's a gradual climb to over 10,000' on Boulder Mountain, then the exciting "hogback" near Boulder crossing a narrow ridge. All good road suitable for any size rig. Fuel at Hanksville, Torrey, Tropic, and Ruby's.
Southern Utah south of I-70 isn't for the faint of heart. Big wild, open country with very little civilization. Robber Roost, Hole In The Wall and places where a man can get lost from the law. We got snowed in at Loa,Ut. two years ago Memorial day weekend.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:00 PM   #11

Someone mention Hogback? Been there, Done that, had puddles for passengers.

https://youtu.be/sqRssG1LKkU
Old 04-06-2021, 05:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Someone mention Hogback? Been there, Done that, had puddles for passengers.

https://youtu.be/sqRssG1LKkU
My wife asked me if I knew about this ahead of time. I lied
Then she asked me if we had to come back this way, I said only if you want me to baby
Old 04-06-2021, 08:27 PM   #13

I thoroughly enjoyed that drive, my passengers OTOH had their eyes shut tight and were hanging on to anything they could and were sobbing. It was Glorious! I had forgotten I had the audio off on the dashcam, or that video would have been so much better.

I wouldn't want to take that road with my trailer though, but in the F350 being much higher than my F150 was, I think it will be even more fun!
Old 04-07-2021, 07:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Back in 2016 we took a trip to Ruby's in Bryce Canyon, took the I-70 route up and over the IKE. We are considering doing it again this year, different truck and trailer this time around, and though I know the F350 will have NO issues pulling our 3660 up and over, there is that one stretch through Utah that is 120 miles without any services that I would like to avoid. I do plan to replace the 26 gallon fuel tank with a 50 gallon tank, but I still remember the F-150 over heating through that stretch due to using low octane fuel and not paying attention to the grades. The 3.5EB is so damned strong that I didn't notice the 6% grade until the DING truck overheating warning went off. It pulls like no tomorrow, in a high gear(that was my mistake, should have downed a gear had I paid attention to the grades), and while it didn't leave me stranded, I did have to pull over for it to cool down, and it was 115* outside that day. It wasn't very far from a lookout place, so was able to top off the coolant with the water from the trailer, and then a HUGE gust of wind rolled in and nearly tipped the trailer over, it rocked enough that the truck was lifted up. Glad I wasn't driving when it did that!

What alternate routes are there without long stretches without services? I was thinking I-80 around Colorado, but someone mentioned there is a similar stretch. It will probably be late July, Early August like last time, so will be HOT in CO and Utah once again. Everything checks out on the truck, but you never know.
Gas tank size will be a key factor in selection of my next truck. Total miles per tank is the real factor. Thinking 3/4 ton gasser or 1 ton diesel. If it can't go the distance it's not going home with me. Expect I'll need to order.

Present range typically 700-800 mile/tank no trailer, half that with the trailer. Going west in CO/WY gaining altitude and into those winds maybe 300 mi. Tooling around Yellowstone and NF w no trailer: almost 900 mi last time. Nothing like 25 mpg and a 36 gal tank.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote