Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2020, 08:08 PM   #1

Iowa to Grand Junction, CO and on to Big Sur

We are planning onleaving from Iowa and visiting Grandson in Grand Junction, CO and continuing on to Big Sur , CA. And return to Florida via a southern route. We will be driving a 2020 30 DS and towing a car on a tow dolly. (Nissan Rogue 3500 lbs, tow dolly 600 lbs) Ive never done this towing a car and am wondering if It’s makes sense to even attempt this. We wont be in a hurry but the grades concern me. Anyone have experience doing this??
Thanks in advance for any info.
Rick g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:53 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick g View Post
We are planning onleaving from Iowa and visiting Grandson in Grand Junction, CO and continuing on to Big Sur , CA. And return to Florida via a southern route. We will be driving a 2020 30 DS and towing a car on a tow dolly. (Nissan Rogue 3500 lbs, tow dolly 600 lbs) Ive never done this towing a car and am wondering if It’s makes sense to even attempt this. We wont be in a hurry but the grades concern me. Anyone have experience doing this??
Thanks in advance for any info.
WHEN?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:23 PM   #3

Time

we're planning g on the first week of Sept. return three weeks later maybe
Rick g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:40 PM   #4

Are you planning on driving Hwy 1 south of Big Sur? You certainly can do it. But some people choose not to. Sometimes it's the DW looking down 1000' to the ocean right outside of her window that precludes the trip (that may sound worse than it really is). Again, you can do it but some parts of the road aren't for the feint of heart. An alternative would be do drive the towed down Hwy 1 and back then go down 101 with the combo. Watch some Youtube videos of the Hwy 1 drive if you are concerned.

There is a neat campground half way down the Big Sur coast called Kirk Creek CG. Check it out on Google Earth. It's a long shot at this point. We make reservations on the morning of the first day of the reservation window when we go there. There's a CG a few miles further south but no ocean views.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:35 PM   #5
Too old to be too smart

Though Glenwood Canyon is not a sight to be missed, the altitude of the Eisenhower Tunnel might be a real challenge.

-Pop-

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:47 PM   #6

Grand Junction

Since we lived in GJ and I’m from IA, we’ve driven that route many times. I-80 through Glenwood Canyon has to be one of the most beautiful freeways in the US. I don’t think the Eisenhower Tunnel will give you any problems, you’ll just be getting passed by lots of cars, as we were when we towed our TT through there. The CA roads sound more challenging - not my area, though. Have a great trip! I’m jealous!
Eldereaglewatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:44 PM   #7

Iowa to Big Sur

I-70 will take you through Denver, Eisenhower Tunnel, and Glenwood Canyon, not I-80. We have driven I-70 cross country many times, and even in the Rockies, the grades are not daunting. If you have time to visit some of the National Parks along the way, Rocky Mountain NP is a must see. Very nice RV Park in Ests Park "Spruce Lake" just outside the East entrance to the Park.

Junction West RV just off I-70 on west side of Grand Junction is one of the nicest in the area. Easy day trip from there through the Colorado National Monument.

If you continue west on I-70 into Utah you can easily stop to tour Arches NP and Canyonlands NP. We have stayed at Shady Acres RV in Green River just north of Moab.

From Green River you can head northwest tpo Salt Lake City and I-80 then west to San Francisco area. Or stay on I-70 to I-15 heading southwest to the LA area.

Other options may include finding you wat to US 50 near Delta, UT, and travel "the loneliest highway in the world" through Nevada.

X2 on recommendations to not drive your rig with toad up or down Route 1 through the Big Sur area.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:27 PM   #8
Scoundrel

I-70 through Glenwood Canyon is closed due to wildfire. Colorado Department of Transportation does not have an estimate of when it will reopen. Colorado is experiencing a very serious state wide drought, along with Utah, Nevada and New Mexico. I'm sure this particular flire will not be a factor in early September, but here's a link to monitor road closures. https://www.cotrip.org/home.htm

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:31 PM   #9
Scoundrel

There's also a 23,000 acre wildfire burning out-of-control just outside of Grand Junction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020_08_09-13.35.19.961-CDT-1024x1008.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	236290  

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
I-70 through Glenwood Canyon is closed due to wildfire. Colorado Department of Transportation does not have an estimate of when it will reopen. Colorado is experiencing a very serious state wide drought, along with Utah, Nevada and New Mexico. I'm sure this particular flire will not be a factor in early September, but here's a link to monitor road closures. https://www.cotrip.org/home.htm
Agreed. They'll have to go around. Either north on I-80 or south on U.S. 160 to get around the fires. I'm sure there are other routes as well.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote