Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2021, 03:59 PM   #1
Calbucano

Leavenworth, Wa to Port Townsend, WA

We will be making this trip on July 5, 2021 in a Prism MH (24t) towing a Ford Ranger.
Need suggestions on routes, ferry options etc.
I see that date will be a holiday. Is this a good or bad thing?
calbucano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:34 PM   #2

You will definitely need a reservation for the Coupeville/ PT ferry. By then, they should have a two boat schedule.

As far as routes, the PT ferry is midway on Whidbey. I recommend avoiding the Mukilteo Clinton ferry and driving around through Deception Pass. It's a scenic drive and one less ferry hassle. Depending on the time of day, there can be long backups, although on July 5, most of the heavy traffic will be leaving the island,

One option is to camp at Ft Casey and take an early ferry on Tuesday morning.

Also, check the fare schedule for the cost of your combined length with passengers versus disconnecting the Ranger and driving it on separately. Sometimes it can be a little cheaper that way.

From the eastern shores of Whidbey Island, have fun and a safe trip.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:09 PM   #3

If I were making this drive, I'd get off US-2 in Monroe then head South to Bothell then P to Edmonds. Take the Edmonds- Kingston ferry and then drive to Port Townsend via the Hood Canal floating bridge.

The Coupville-Port Townsend ferry is smaller and not only have limited space for RV's, it's schedule is very often affected by low tides and wind. If it's windy cars, truchs, and RV's on vehicle deck are drenched with salt water.

Ferries to the South on Puget Sound travel in more sheltered waters. Coupville ferry route is in the direct path of wind and waves from the Pacific.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:28 AM   #4
Calbucano

Sure appreciate the advise! Adjusted our trip itinerary to include a floating bridge. TitanMike, your are a great font of knowledge.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbucano View Post
Sure appreciate the advise! Adjusted our trip itinerary to include a floating bridge. TitanMike, your are a great font of knowledge.
In this case I have lived in this area and am a "Traffic Combat Vet" on NW Washington roads since the early 60's.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:07 PM   #6

Sounds like a great trip. I love the scenery for both and the drive through Stevens Pass is beautiful and traveling by ferry is a great way to see Puget Sound. Hopefully you will have great weather for your trip. The Edmonds-Kingston Ferry is a good choice and nice places to stop at. However, don't forget to stop in Leavenworth and enjoy the German Sausage and the Kris Kringle store.

Have a safe trip.
Letarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:23 PM   #7
Calbucano

We’re spending 4th of July weekend in Leavenworth as we take 2.5 months to travel counterclockwise around upper USA starting I. Virginia.

Tags
tow