Old 11-30-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Living in Arizona - The Good, the Bad and the ugly

DW and I are contemplating going down to Mesa/Yuma area to determine if we are interested in staying there after we travel around a bit. Iíve had so many different stories about AZ we donít know what to think. Weíve been to Florida so we are pretty familiar there as well as Texas but it does not make me an expert by any stretch so I guess itís really between those three. If you winter over in these states I would love to hear your good, bad and ugly.

Tia
Alan
Old 11-30-2017, 03:14 PM   #2

This is our 5th winter in AZ in Casa Grande (about 45 miles from Mesa). The Good = 72 deg on Christmas Day . The Bad would be maybe 5 days where we have frost in the morning in Dec. or Jan.

Yuma is typically a few degrees warmer than the Mesa area as it is about 1000' lower in elevation. Both areas are very popular with the snowbirds.

You don't indicate what you like to do so it is tough to try to compare the two areas. I am also not that familiar with the costs of RV Parks in those areas or what amenities you want, as that can greatly affect the cost.

I would just say, "come on down, the weather is fine"

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:44 PM   #3
Multi-Slacker

Southern Az is largely desert, lots of cactus, no corn, no cows, not much rain. As you drift northwards from the Mexican border, the elevation increases and you run into all that distracting scenery and could wind up using up time in the Grand Canyon NP. From Yuma, you are less than a day's run to San Diego or Las Vegas.

Seriously, north, south, east or west all make as much difference as the time of year.
2018 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L, 4:10 rear
CurtPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:04 PM   #4
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Youíre right, I didnít say what we like to do. We are more into sightseeing and historical things as well warm weather and water. We like to relax and ponder life. We arenít into the happy hour thing as we arenít big into drinking. Walking in the country or parks.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:26 PM   #5
Berkshire 390QS

We winter in Mesa and enjoy the weather. What kind of activities do you you like? The park we stay in has plenty from tennis, pickle ball, many craft shops, 3 outdoor pools,1indoor etc. All depends on what you like. Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:37 PM   #6
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
I am a year- round resident in Mesa.....but retiring very soon. It does get warm in the beginning of May, heat sets in in June, stays thru Mid September, or mid October. This year....however....only 4 days below 80 in November. Record month. Only stayed like that for a few hours In early-mid afternoon. Cooled quickly into the 60s. There is a lot to see in this state. Depends on your interests. I will be picking all of your minds when I reverse migrate from the heat.....lol!
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:11 PM   #7

As I am a long time resident of Arizona, I am a bit biased, but will be as honest as I can. The climate and scenery of Arizona changes dramatically depending on where you find your self at the moment. Yuma is a hot, dry, desert environment with all the comforts of a small city. Typical shopping and eating, lots of snowbird activity and some fairly good camping opportunities. The surrounding area is primarily farm lands and agricultural activities. The Mesa area is just a large extension of the Phoenix big city environment. Easy to get around, easy to participate in big city activities. I work on the border down in the SE corner of the state and while we are South and east of the 2 big cities, we are at 4000 feet elevation and have HUGE amounts of cows and other agricultural type activities down this way. A benefit of being down here is we are on average, 10 - 15 degrees cooler than the Phoenix area all times of the year. As you progress North of Phoenix, you will find much cooler climates, with real trees and mountains, snow and all that good stuff. While Arizona does have a lot of desert, the desert is not unpleasant due to the scenery and wide open skies. In my opinion, Arizona is a beautiful place with a lot of offerings for those who have an open mind and want to enjoy something truly different.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:20 PM   #8

This is my 2nd winter in Wickenburg, AZ - much more country atmosphere than Phoenix/Mesa, but only 50+ miles away. Not much water around here...but you can venture to the Parker area and be right on the Colorado. Do you want a swimming pool or a river...that will make it easier to make your choice. Or - book for a month in one place and take that time to investigate the rest.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:27 PM   #9
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGal3 View Post
This is my 2nd winter in Wickenburg, AZ - much more country atmosphere than Phoenix/Mesa, but only 50+ miles away. Not much water around here...but you can venture to the Parker area and be right on the Colorado. Do you want a swimming pool or a river...that will make it easier to make your choice. Or - book for a month in one place and take that time to investigate the rest.

Typically the ocean or Caribbean but the river sounds interesting. Iím thinking we will do just that and Stay a month somewhere to check it out and explore. When we were in Texas we had a blast going into Mexico to shop and check out the restaurants. We just retired so really donít know yet what we want to do. I guess we want to do it all. Lol!
Old 11-30-2017, 07:39 PM   #10

We have snowbirded in RV parks in Tucson, Benson, and Casa Grande, but stayed away from Phoenix due to the traffic. If you like history, national monuments, and museums, Tucson is a great place with the Arizona Museum on the campus of UA, San Xavier del Bac, Tumacacori National Historic Park,Tubac, Tombstone, etc. The same area has great hiking at Saguaro National Park, Catalina State Park, and Tucson Mountain Park. And, in early February, you can spend days walking around the many venues of the Tucson Gem, Mineral, and Fossil Show, the nation's largest. Last, but definitely not least, don't miss the Pima Air & Space Museum and a "boneyard tour" of Davis-Monthan AFB. It's spectacular!

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel; 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 CC-SB 6.7L CTD
Sold: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:51 AM   #11
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanrgs View Post
We have snowbirded in RV parks in Tucson, Benson, and Casa Grande, but stayed away from Phoenix due to the traffic. If you like history, national monuments, and museums, Tucson is a great place with the Arizona Museum on the campus of UA, San Xavier del Bac, Tumacacori National Historic Park,Tubac, Tombstone, etc. The same area has great hiking at Saguaro National Park, Catalina State Park, and Tucson Mountain Park. And, in early February, you can spend days walking around the many venues of the Tucson Gem, Mineral, and Fossil Show, the nation's largest. Last, but definitely not least, don't miss the Pima Air & Space Museum and a "boneyard tour" of Davis-Monthan AFB. It's spectacular!

Wow! That sounds good! Not a fan of traffic for sure. We arenít highly social, well, I am but she is not, so this sounds pretty good to me. I will search out RV parks in this area. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2017, 08:53 AM   #12

contrary to popular opinion Arizona is not all hot desert. the southern central and western parts are desert, no other way to put it. going north from phoenix you get into the mountains and both the scenary and temperatures change. go all the way up to flagstaff and you are at 7,000 ft with snow and freezing temperatures. Prescott is about 5,000. over at the east is show low / pinetop in the white mountains with lovely forests and scenary. if you want some history take a trip to cottonwood and then up to Jerome. flagstaff has the Lowell observatory. in the south there are several mines with tours in the Bisbee area and then there is tombstone. there is always quartzite.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:31 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

WE HAVE OCEAN FRONT PROPERTY FOR SALE HERE!

We came to Casa Grande, Az four years ago Rving and bought a park model before we left this resort. It is a smaller city between Phoenix and Tucson that is in quaint. Our resort have 60 different activities a week to stay active and sometimes group tours. Or just sit down by the pool and enjoy the weather. We summer in the U.P. of Michigan and then "summer" the winter in Arizon.

Life is good!
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:38 AM   #14
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
WE HAVE OCEAN FRONT PROPERTY FOR SALE HERE!

We came to Casa Grande, Az four years ago Rving and bought a park model before we left this resort. It is a smaller city between Phoenix and Tucson that is in quaint. Our resort have 60 different activities a week to stay active and sometimes group tours. Or just sit down by the pool and enjoy the weather. We summer in the U.P. of Michigan and then "summer" the winter in Arizon.

Life is good!
Wow! You are living the dream! I’ve been to the U.P. in the summer a few times and it is fantastic up there! I was actually looking for RV parks that don’t require a long term commitment and had just decided Casa Grande was about as close to the big city as I wanted to be and your post came in. I might be wrong but this area might be somewhat central to a lot of things to make it a home base for a month or so so we can explore. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2017, 10:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awilson View Post
Wow! You are living the dream! Iíve been to the U.P. in the summer a few times and it is fantastic up there! I was actually looking for RV parks that donít require a long term commitment and had just decided Casa Grande was about as close to the big city as I wanted to be and your post came in. I might be wrong but this area might be somewhat central to a lot of things to make it a home base for a month or so so we can explore. Thanks!
Casa Grande is less than an hour from Phoenix and Tucson. 3 hours to Yuma. It is nicely centrally located which was a main reason we ended up here several yrs ago.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awilson View Post
Wow! You are living the dream! Iíve been to the U.P. in the summer a few times and it is fantastic up there! I was actually looking for RV parks that donít require a long term commitment and had just decided Casa Grande was about as close to the big city as I wanted to be and your post came in. I might be wrong but this area might be somewhat central to a lot of things to make it a home base for a month or so so we can explore. Thanks!
Our resort (Sundance 1) has daily, weekly, monthly and annual stays. The longer you stay the cheaper it gets and then also what time of the year also.

Phoenix for big events & shopping, Tucson, Tombstone, Yuma, and Mexico for cheap meds.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:18 AM   #17
2014 SunSeeker 2300

As you all know I will have to run all this information past the Ďbossí for prior approval but I think this might be where we end up. Casa Grande! It appealed to me due to its central location to many things. Seriously we both like many of the same things so it makes it easy to decide where we are going. Do any of you go to Mexico to visit? I went over many times when we were in Texas but the constant blowing of the wind down there was a complete turnoff. We enjoyed the food there and the warm friendly people there. Maybe when we come I can take a look at the oceanfront properties there.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:39 PM   #18

We have wintered in Yuma for about 12 years. Statistically, Yuma has the best winter weather in the world. Here is a recent story from the Yuma Sun reporting that Yuma was named a top winter destination by Expedia. We too are hikers and have plenty of places to go. We enjoy occasional recreational visits to larger cities. Yuma is three hours from San Diego, three hours from Phoenix, and five hours from either Las Vegas or Los Angeles.

Yuma Sun e-Edition
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:46 PM   #19
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacamastraveler View Post
We have wintered in Yuma for about 12 years. Statistically, Yuma has the best winter weather in the world. Here is a recent story from the Yuma Sun reporting that Yuma was named a top winter destination by Expedia. We too are hikers and have plenty of places to go. We enjoy occasional recreational visits to larger cities. Yuma is three hours from San Diego, three hours from Phoenix, and five hours from either Las Vegas or Los Angeles.

Yuma Sun e-Edition
Yuma was another top place we were interested in because of its location. Interesting article. Thanks for your post.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:52 PM   #20
Dahagen

Short answer...I suggest you try a few different places in Arizona. Bullhead City area is hot, dry, and full of places to 4-wheel. Mesa/Apache Junction is big city living and expensive and crowded with lots of activities. Yuma is warmer and windy and a lot cheaper. Tucson is full of history, hiking, and science, and mid-priced RV parks. A lot of smaller towns are inexpensive with not so much to do. I retired here in 2001 and have seen it all. Tucson, where I am now, is my favorite. PS...if you think traffic in Phoenix Metro is bad, try Denver or Seattle.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote