Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2019, 05:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco View Post

If time allows, take the cog railroad up Pikes Peak (Colorado Springs).

the cog railroad is closed. i had heard that they were not going to reopen it - but just now checking the web site, they are planning a reopening in 2021. so it will be a few years before you can ride it again.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:35 PM   #22
Multi-Slacker

When you leave the GC, may I suggest driving around it to the east - which takes you past the vermillion cliffs and over the Navajo Bridge and past the north rim. You may not want to (or be able to) take the rig down through the switchbacks in Zion. Going around takes longer but we think the trip is worth it.

At the GC, take the railroad up if you can. It's not all that scenic but it is so totally relaxing compared to driving. Can generally see elk up top and sometimes turkeys. Rail has wheelchair/scooter lift and she can ride over to the RR station from your campsite in the chair/scooter.

Good luck and happy travels!
Old 03-26-2019, 06:45 PM   #23

AMEN to those who predict it will be hot pretty much all the way. Make sure you have confirmed reservations at RV parks with full hookups. It may already be too late for some of the most popular RV Parks near the sites you will visit. We made a similar trip last year, visiting nearly every NP west of Denver during 2-1/2 months. We started making our reservations more than 1-1/2 years ahead for some locations.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:24 PM   #24

I'm planning almost the same trip now. Leaving from NJ heading to Mt. Rushmore then south through utah stop in salt lake for family visit then south to all the parks and 4 corners for my kids to see. Then east over to Nashville and Memphis, Raliegh NC for more family then north home. Only got 4 weeks off work to do it. Leaving July 11 returning Aug 13.
KEliasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:11 PM   #25

"Meander"...? Have fun.
BigRockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:17 PM   #26
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Yes, it will be hot in Arizona that time of year...and probably in Denver, too!

Are you going to stay in Estes Park or Grand Lake when you visit Rocky Mountain National Park?

Trail Ridge Road is one road you don't want to drive an RV over...

I know many will say they've done it...at the expense of holding up traffic for others and massive engine and brake overheating is a problem to be sure!

Not too mention that the worries of hauling an RV over that climb will pretty much take away most of the enjoyment of the views.

Over in Gunnison...the Blue Mesa RV Ranch is an awesome place to stay...my favorite place in Colorado!

Near Denver, my favorite places are Cherry Creek State Park (might be hard to get a spot there) or the Central City KOA.

I lived in Denver for 26 years up until March 30, 2018...so I've been to a lot of Colorado campgrounds!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:21 PM   #27
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
the cog railroad is closed. i had heard that they were not going to reopen it - but just now checking the web site, they are planning a reopening in 2021. so it will be a few years before you can ride it again.
Yes, last year just before I left Colorado it was announced that the Cog Railroad was being closed due to aging and it was deemed to be cost prohibitive to tray and fix the old cog, rails and everything else.

I'm glad to see that they are considering fixing it up as I never once rode the cog in all the years I lived in Colorado and hope to do so when I visit in the future.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:55 PM   #28

Stop by the Four Corners monument if you get a chance. It is kind of cool and there is some interesting Native American artists there with stands, plus they have an RV parking lot. The freeway across northern Arizona has some pretty rough patches (in July 2017 at least)
Webfoot0807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:29 AM   #29

We did nearly the same trip, originating and ending in the northern suburbs of Chicago with 4 small children in a 25' class C. Our baby celebrated her first birthday in Truth or Consequences NM. (She is now a successful attorney). The older kids agree it was one of our best adventures. 5600 miles in 22 days
Open Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:42 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN9XL View Post
Wow! You have me beet.
and here I thought doing 4400 miles in six weeks was a great accomplishment.

Someday we will do the same trip again and it will take us probably 2 years!!!!
There is so much to see in Utah and even Grand Canyon that your 6 weeks will still be too short!

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:07 PM   #31

For scenic routes, campgrounds, and not-to-be-missed sights on the Colorado portion of your trip, you might want to take a look at my Colorado Rockies RV camping blog HERE.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:53 AM   #32

6 days does not seem like enough time for all the places you listed in utah and Colorado. We spent about 10 days to cover that area and could have used a could more depending on how in depth you want to see stuff. Check out the free mountain gondola in telluride. It is pretty cool.
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:46 AM   #33

I'm taking 5 weeks for this trip. Not 6 days
Old 04-01-2019, 05:40 AM   #34
Insert witty title here

I am not retired and have a terminally ill wife who can't tolerate being on the road away from doctor's too long. I booked this trip but may have to cancel depending on the status of her health as the date gets closer. My time with her is limited so I'm getting in as much as I can as quick as I can.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:21 AM   #35

Last summer we had no reservations. We went thru Branson Missouri to Colorado Springs to Denver and spent a week in the Black hills. Cooler trip.

You are doing a lot of driving. Southern Utah area is worth a lot more time.

We try not to travel over 300 miles a day. Chairman Mau referee to seeing the flowers by helicopter!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:32 AM   #36

I know it's a lot of driving but with work it's the only time I have to get out there while kids are out of school. The initial push from NJ to mt Rushmore I have no problem driving 8 hours a day if not more. After that it's a slower pace not going more than 4 hours or so between places
Old 04-01-2019, 07:33 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I am not retired and have a terminally ill wife who can't tolerate being on the road away from doctor's too long. I booked this trip but may have to cancel depending on the status of her health as the date gets closer. My time with her is limited so I'm getting in as much as I can as quick as I can.
I hope you get to take this trip with your wife and that she has a great time. I am truly sorry that this is the reason for the trip and that this cannot be a more relaxing journey. Peace to you and your wife.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:36 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Sorry for what you are going to through. Enjoy the time.

In most of the national parks you are going to, they have great bus systems. You can just ride in the ac and it gives you a tour of the park with narration most. times
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:36 PM   #39

Send a message via AIM to Capt Kidd Send a message via MSN to Capt Kidd
So the longest trip I have taken was a few years ago with my teardrop behind my PT Cruiser convertable. I started in Chico, CA went down to
San Francisco and followed the Lincoln Highway (the first cross country highway
it went from Golden Gate park in SF to time square on New York city. Then went up to Maine and thru Vermont and New Hampshire then down to Virginia and did the Shanendoa Parkway then the Blue Ridge parkway thru the
Great Smokies then up to Chicago, and did highway 66 to Santa Monica in California then up Highway one to Fortuna, CA and highway 36 to Red Bluff and highway 99 to home. I was gone about 2 months and mostly stayed in KOAs. Never made a reservation and only one time had a problem getting in. I left Chico on April 15 and was home 8 weeks later. Had a great time.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:21 PM   #40

Reverse Trip ?

SUGGESTION - I would try to reverse the trip. Make your way out to your reunion in Denver first and see the rest of your stops after. You may hit some cooler weather and less crowds as you get closer to September ! We started a similar trip beginning on Labor Day and had a comfortable, fewer tourist trip !
rflarouere is offline   Reply With Quote