Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2019, 06:49 AM   #41

It’s how long your gone and how far you go. You decide how you want to travel.
Our longest trip was to Alaska for 80 days and 12000 miles. Went again for 60 days and 10000 miles. Been there 4 times.
I put over 200,000 miles on 3 trucks each, traveling and site seeing.
It’s not how far or how long, it’s your enjoyment on the trip.
gfdrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I thought my forum name TimfromMA gave it away.
30 miles West of Beantown sounds like Lowell, where I was born.
If you are headed to AZ. be prepared for the mountain climbs and revving engines. We spent the Winter in Las Cruces, NM and it got cold and freezing some nights this Winter but was still better during the day,( sometimes 70's).
Indiana is where we now live and it got brutal this season.
Upon reading more of your posts, thought I add a a little more to my post.
We wish you and your wife the best and hope you really enjoy your trip. See as many sights as capable and we wish your wife the best possible journey.

Have safe travels
Bytesponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:15 AM   #43
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytesponge View Post
30 miles West of Beantown sounds like Lowell, where I was born.
Thats NW of Beantown.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #44

It does seam a bit Demanding but take a look at the RVTRIP WIZARD and the Allstays apps and look for stuff that might be accessible to make your trip more memorable.
JPSJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:29 PM   #45

Kodachrome Basin SP southeast of Bryce Canyon is worth a visit even for a day if you have the time,

https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/kodachrome-basin/
Old 04-06-2019, 02:46 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I think the journey is better that the destination. I love to go
X2

You might want to hit the Balloon Festival in Albuquerque if y’all have time

Always Prazing
Linda
Prazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:49 PM   #47

In the past few years we have done several long trips, including trips all the way across country from California to the East Coast and north into Canada, and then back. Planning is the key to a successful and stress-free trip with a big rig like ours. We do not do boondocking anymore, although we had fun doing that 30+ years ago.

We typically begin planning long trips at least a year ahead of time, sometimes even more. Places like Colter Bay in Grand Teton NP fill up with RV reservations often more than a year ahead of time. Last time we were there, more than half the RV sites were already occupied by an Airstream Trailer club that had made their reservations 3 years prior. They were some of the nicest camping neighbors we have ever met. Then, one day, they were all gone.

Planning ahead relieves the stress of bailing out of one RV site and wondering if you will find another to your liking at the end of the day. I've been there and done that way back in "the day". Found myself surrounded by flood waters one morning on the North Platte River in Nebraska. Fortunately I had pitched my sleeping bag on top of one of the campground picnic tables. Several raccoons had joined me during the night!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Thats NW of Beantown.
Just trying to be friendly and not specific.
Thanks
Bytesponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:02 PM   #49

Nat'l Parks in UT, AZ and Co

In the fall of 2018, we made a 7500 mile, 6 week loop around the northern west and had a great time! During that time we were in Jackson, WY on our 20th wedding anniv (that's where we were married). Now we are planning a loop for the Aug-Sep time frame for Parks in Utah, Arizona and Colorado. The question is ... are there campgrounds that are somewhat centrally located where you can see several parks from one site without having to drive several hours to get to them? We have a Micro Lite 25DKS, which will fit almost anywhere. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Capri Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:11 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri Sailor View Post
In the fall of 2018, we made a 7500 mile, 6 week loop around the northern west and had a great time! During that time we were in Jackson, WY on our 20th wedding anniv (that's where we were married). Now we are planning a loop for the Aug-Sep time frame for Parks in Utah, Arizona and Colorado. The question is ... are there campgrounds that are somewhat centrally located where you can see several parks from one site without having to drive several hours to get to them? We have a Micro Lite 25DKS, which will fit almost anywhere. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
In 2016 we stayed at Cadillac Ranch (https://www.cadillacranchrv.com/) and we found it very conveniently located.
In their webpage you can see the list of close attractions and the distance.

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:51 PM   #51

Thank you RACarvalho. I will check into that.
Capri Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:07 PM   #52

Quote:
Thank you RACarvalho. I will check into that.
If you go there don't forget to visit Bluff Welcome center... That is an attraction in itself....

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:05 PM   #53

Capri Sailor:

We have stayed several times at Zion River RV Park just outside Zion NP. Very nice facility with full hookups for any sized rig. Minutes away from the entrance to Zion NP, where you park your car or truck and ride the free shuttle buses into the valley. The hike up to Angel's Landing is not as scary as it looks, according to my wife.

From Zion River it is an easy one day drive to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Plan on having lunch at the Lodge there. Memorable.

Also an easy one day drive north to Bryce Canyon NP and then return via Cedar Breaks NM. We have been there in Spring, Summer, and Fall, and got caught in snow flurries at Cedar Breaks a few years ago. Had a snow-ball fight with our daughters, and they won!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:31 PM   #54
Multi-Slacker

+1 on the recommendation for Zion River RV Park. Great park, but they are tight on spacing and, I believe, have only 1 ADA bathroom if that is of im[ortance to you.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #55

As mentioned earlier, we like Archview Campground Just North of Moab. Easy access to Arches NP, Canyonlands NP and Dead Horse SP. Be sure to take Hwy 128 out of Moab on your way to Denver, beautiful drive.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #56

For some of us that grew up in the 1960s Life has been One Big Road Trip. I have travelled for fun and travelled for work. The cute little map was filled up by 1975. Everything is much more crowded now, so the trick is traveling to the quiet sites and going to the popular ones in the off season. I like the desert in winter. Describing your favorite places with videos is the fastest way to ruin them. I read Outside magazine once in awhile so I know which places to avoid.

Boondocking is the way. We grew up traveling this way because we had no money. Then it becomes a habit. Then a life style. There is no changing now. I do not like resorts, motels and RV parks. Too many inconsiderate people. Forest Service campgrounds in the summer on weekends can be the worst. Too many drunk people staying up all night.

Still on the Golden Road to Unlimited Devotion. Walk me out in the Morning Dew. . Strangers Stopping Strangers, Just to Shake Their Hands.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #57

Quote:
The West is big. It is very difficult to access several parks from one location. It may be possible in southern Utah to some extent. I think one of the best things about camping in NPs is living there. You go sleep listening to the elk, and wake up to beautiful sunrise. Otherwise it is too much driving around. Some people like to camp in RV parks outside the NPs and commute. You pay a price for that approach.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote