Old 03-02-2020, 10:26 AM   #1

Looking for an overnight spot in N.W. New Mexico

Hello all,
I'm looking for suggestions for a quick overnight stop between Albuquerque, NM and Farmington, NM, along hwys. 550 and 64, first week of May. (Not interested in Harvest Host or other membership type places, thank you tho.) Something convenient to those roadways so we don't have to backtrack very far. Just a dry camping spot will do to rest our heads before continuing on to Arches. Small rig - truck and 14' trailer.

My internet searches are coming up pretty sparse, or I find places that have changed hands so many times that I can't find current info and reviews.

I haven't called the Farmington Wal-Mart yet to find out if they allow over nighters...but does anyone have experiences here? Good/Bad?

I saw the McGee Park/Fairgrounds - any thoughts?

And I read up on the BLM site at Angel Peak...love the sounds of it but don't want to risk driving the 6 mile washboard in the afternoon/early evening to find it full or something. But again, if anyone is willing to share their experiences here I'd appreciate it.

My thanks in advance for anyone willing to share info.

Old 03-02-2020, 11:41 AM   #2

Not much in between Albuquerque and Farmington as far as quick, easy overnight stays. There is Clear Creek Campground about 11 miles (20min) from Cuba that is nice. After Cuba, I wouldn't stop overnight anywhere. Just go to Farmington and check in at Walmart.

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Not much in between Albuquerque and Farmington as far as quick, easy overnight stays. There is Clear Creek Campground about 11 miles (20min) from Cuba that is nice. After Cuba, I wouldn't stop overnight anywhere. Just go to Farmington and check in at Walmart.
Thank you for that. I sure liked the looks of Clear Creek, but then found that they don't open until May 15th. Bummer. Something to keep in mind for future trips though, so thank you.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #4

Definitely a bummer. You might use the contacts on the webpage to see when exactly they will open. Sometimes they adjust the schedule according to the weather/camp host situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbears View Post
Thank you for that. I sure liked the looks of Clear Creek, but then found that they don't open until May 15th. Bummer. Something to keep in mind for future trips though, so thank you.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:05 PM   #5

According to My Park advisor app, which is extremely handy to have, there is a park called Bluffview which was formerly Mom and Pop RV park in Farmington which looks pretty good on the satellite photo. Moore RV park which appears to have also been known as Desert Rose is in Bloomfield and also looks pretty good on the sat photos and has good reviews.

Walmart in Farmington is listed as overnight parking allowed, and their sat photo shows RV’s and Big rigs parked in the lot.
Cricket RX5 Golf(?) cart
DougW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:06 PM   #6

There's a small RV park just on the outskirts of Cuba after you go through town (about 2 hrs from Abq). Not much there, never been but I see it as Im passing through town.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:56 PM   #7

San Juan river starts at Navajo Dam....Navaho lake...campgrounds there outside and in town...take your flyrod with best trout fishing in state....Good restaurants in town
juice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:13 PM   #8

I'd also be interested in any information about places to camp in the Farmington area the latter two weeks in Sept on my way to the balloon festival.

I have identified possibles as Bluffview RV Park, Dad's RV Park, TeePee RV Park, and San Juan County Fairgrounds (McGee Park). Anybody stay at any of these places?

I'm looking for three nights while I visit the Bisti/De-Na-Zin Wilderness for a little photography.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:20 PM   #9

From what I recall driving that way, there is a lot of nothing between Albuquerque and Farmington. If you can drive on to Mancos, CO, there is a Good Sam park that is rated 10-10-10. It’s call Mesa Verde RV. Mesa Verde National Park, in my opinion, is worth a stop.
2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:41 PM   #10

We stayed in Mom and Pops RV Park in Farmington a few years ago. As previously posted, it's now Bluffview. It was okay. We mostly enjoyed talking with Pop - Mom had passed away. As you can see from the satellite view, it's just a basic place to park your RV. (Side note - Pop was a toymaker. In the satellite view I can see the outdoor train layout he built.)

While you are in Farmington, I recommend visiting the Bolack Museum of Wildlife and especially the Bolack Electromechanical Museum. Admission was free but you have to call ahead to reserve a visit. It's private and they have someone show you around.

We also stayed at the Navajo Lake State Park. It was nice. I forgot why we moved the short distance from the state park to Farmington - probably because it was time to wash clothes!
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:06 PM   #11

You might consider going to Gallup Walmart and then US 491 & US 191 north to Arches

15 min and 23 miles further but 1/3 of trip on I-40.

Old 03-05-2020, 12:04 PM   #12

Thank you to those who took the time to respond, and especially those who stuck to the topic question.

It looks like the Farmington Wal-Mart will be our overnight. I called to verify that they will allow overnight RVs. (They instructed us to park on the far west side of the lot.) I still wouldn't mind hearing from folks that have actually stayed there tho, just to be sure it isn't in a "shady" side of town or something.

We don't have the luxury of unlimited time for this trip, as we're not retired yet. So rerouting, excessive backtracking, and other sights of interest aren't on our radar. Thanks for those thoughts tho. We'll be concentrating our 12 days specifically on Arches/Canyonlands, with an exit through Valley of the Gods, Monument Valley, and Four Corners; and south out of Shiprock back to I-40 and the next east bound truck stop.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:58 PM   #13

We've never found a great spot near Farmington. If you're willing to go another hour north, Target Tree Campground might be good, but I've never been there. If you have time. Goblin state park is my wife's favorite. Ken's Lake is a good boondock camp just 10 miles south of Moab. We stayed there when we went to Arches. On your way back, Sand Island near Bluff, Recapture reservoir near Blanding, or Valley of the Gods are nice boondock campgrounds. Please let us know what you do, and how you liked it.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Thank you to those who took the time to respond, and especially those who stuck to the topic question.

It looks like the Farmington Wal-Mart will be our overnight. I called to verify that they will allow overnight RVs. (They instructed us to park on the far west side of the lot.) I still wouldn't mind hearing from folks that have actually stayed there tho, just to be sure it isn't in a "shady" side of town or something.

We don't have the luxury of unlimited time for this trip, as we're not retired yet. So rerouting, excessive backtracking, and other sights of interest aren't on our radar. Thanks for those thoughts tho. We'll be concentrating our 12 days specifically on Arches/Canyonlands, with an exit through Valley of the Gods, Monument Valley, and Four Corners; and south out of Shiprock back to I-40 and the next east bound truck stop.
Keep track of the great places you miss and hit them after you retire.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Keep track of the great places you miss and hit them after you retire.
Fortunately we have been blessed to have visited many places already. We made it a point to not be the people that say, "maybe someday", or "maybe when we retire", because we've known far too many folks that didn't make it to "someday". So we've always traveled, even if it meant sleeping in the car, or tenting the whole way; we made sure we weren't going to miss out.

We will retire in a few years, and we do have plans for a multiple month trek to "pick up the strays". But in the meantime we'll have to stick to our 2 big road trips per year, with the little outings in between.

When we do go for our 11-14 day vacations, we like to stick to a basic area so that we can feel relaxed and really enjoy what we are seeing, without all the rushing around to try to see more. Especially when 4-5 days have already been dedicated just to the travel there and back... There's nothing worse than spending the rest of the trip sitting in the truck darting from sight to sight, and not being able to take the time to hike, kayak, or go wildlife watching. Those are the experiences that really count for us... Quality, not quantity.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
We've never found a great spot near Farmington. If you're willing to go another hour north, Target Tree Campground might be good, but I've never been there. If you have time. Goblin state park is my wife's favorite. Ken's Lake is a good boondock camp just 10 miles south of Moab. We stayed there when we went to Arches. On your way back, Sand Island near Bluff, Recapture reservoir near Blanding, or Valley of the Gods are nice boondock campgrounds. Please let us know what you do, and how you liked it.
I had a boondock planned for Valley of the Gods on this trip, but then the guy who originally told me we could take a 14 day trip sprung it on me last week that we'd only be going for 12 days. I won't mention any names....I'll just purposely burn his pancakes...
Old 03-21-2020, 05:32 PM   #17

Be careful about boondocking in nw NM. There is a still a lot of ill will about the Spanish Land Grant system. Don't just pull of the road somewhere.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:37 PM   #18

Quote:
When we do go for our 11-14 day vacations, we like to stick to a basic area so that we can feel relaxed and really enjoy what we are seeing, without all the rushing around to try to see more.
It's been my experience that when one rushes around on a trip like you describe to see as many things as they can, the fewer they actually SEE.

You have the right idea. Want to see more places and things--------- take more trips

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote