Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2020, 07:24 PM   #1

Looking for recommendations for Glacier NP area

We are re planning for mid August thru September trip. GNP we hope to spend maybe 8 nights in the area. Looking for input on Campgrounds as I am crosseyed looking at internet comparing campgrounds. Mountain Meadow in Hungry Horse seems to check a lot of boxes power water and sewer...Anyone stayed here? Or other suggestions.
Tigerstripes7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:08 PM   #2

Looks like a great central location for the park.
If it has all the amenities you want go for it.
I have traveled thru that are but never over night.

If you had planned to head into Canada a bit I can suggest Waterton Lakes NP which is the most beautiful and relaxing place I have found.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:34 PM   #3

Thanks Iggy. Since the post got so little response we we pulled the trigger and made our reservations. I tried to convince my wife to cross the border on this trip but with all the excitement with Covid there is little I could do to convince her. We were in Glacier summer of 2018 in a rental house between the W entrance and Columbia Falls and had a great visit with the grand kids. We stayed on Spoon Lake.

North of the park is a bucket list. Thanks for the reply and offer if you need any info on south Louisiana or the panhandle of FL keep my contact info.

Merci Beaucoup
Tigerstripes
Tigerstripes7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:54 PM   #4

Don't worry about the virus at all.
I still have plenty of reservations and plans for Yellowstone National Part in July and Texas and Oklahoma in September.

But if you ever make it that far north you have to check that Waterton Lakes NP
Here is a pictures and link to the campground.

Waterton Town Site Campground
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	229531   Click image for larger version

Name:	watertonpark630.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	229532   Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW Waterton map.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	369.1 KB
ID:	229533  
Old 05-22-2020, 01:28 PM   #5

We stayed at Fish Creek in West Glacier. It's right on the lake. West Glacier KOA is really nice as well. The little town of West Glacier just outside the park is cool. Also, going to the Sun Road going from West to East I think is the best way to go early in the morning to avoid the crowds, lot's of stops on the West side.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:53 PM   #6

Just thought I would mention that he going to the sun road has severe size restrictions for height, width and length. Don't expect to take your TT in that road.
Also, I believe that the Canadian border is currently closed to recreational travel. I would double check that if you do plan to go into Canada.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:56 PM   #7
Dr Travel

You'll want to be as close the West Entrance as you can get without spending a fortune. I would check this one out, for sure. New owners have busted their butts with upgrades/improvements, making a good park much better. And a fair price to boot! https://moosecreekrv.com

Fulltimers since 2014; still going strong in our RW Sig Ultralight Fiver. Have towed the Rockwood 27,000 miles with nary a hiccup. (Except for when participating in happy hours)

robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:01 PM   #8
Dr Travel

Fish Creek is a National Park campground so you will not get electric, or sewer. Also known as dry camping or roughing it. The Moose Creek RV park is full hook-up with lots of amenities and you will not have to be as concerned about bear intrusion as you will in Fish Camp. Just sayin'

Fulltimers since 2014; still going strong in our RW Sig Ultralight Fiver. Have towed the Rockwood 27,000 miles with nary a hiccup. (Except for when participating in happy hours)

robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:24 PM   #9
J&E Grandpa

Where to stay near Glacier NP

We stayed at the West Glacier KOA a couple years ago and loved it so much we’re going back this summer for a week
(KOA campground of the year a few years back)
We had steak dinner at the cafe on site and it was delicious.

The Whitefish KOA is ok if you have too. The lots are right on top of each other and the pool wasn’t nice.
mflummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:50 PM   #10

If we go back to Glacier, I plan to stay on the east side of the park. That way when driving the Going-to-the-Sun Road we will have the sun at our backs as we go up in the morning and again when we come back in the afternoon. We did not plan enough time to explore any of the east side of the park on that trip.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:58 PM   #11
wjo

Due to covid border crossing closed to recreational travel National parks restricted might change check. Highway to the sun is awesome drive but no rv's. Have a great trip.
wjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:40 PM   #12

US and Canada Border Update

US to Canada Update
The current travel restrictions, allowing only commerce and essential worker travel, will expire June 21,
Old 05-22-2020, 05:17 PM   #13

GNP

We were there last late August. Make sure and take your passports to go across to Wharaton, we forgot. I suggest doing the "Road to the Sun" tour in one of the parks restored 1936 Whites tour buses, enjoy the view and lets someone else drive. A lot of the drive is stop and go. These have a fold back convertible roof and the drivers give you info on route. They take blankets for the morning. There are a lot of tight turns and narrow roads. They know the places to pull over and point out the best photo shots. I believe we stayed at St. Mary's campground, nice, but like all the older national parks smaller tight campsites. Ours was pull through-31' TT w/ LWB F-350-limit of available length. We planned way ahead to get this site. Great free bus service to trailheads, just plan to leave early to go to Logan's Pass-"High Line Trail", even if you only do the 1 st 2 miles of trail. Enjoy, beautiful area.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:30 PM   #14

Look out for the TRAINS

we stayed in a rv park and thought we had a nice spot until the first Freight train came through . Yikes it raddles your teeth
the camp ground was a little north of park entrance on easterly side of road. Google earth camp grounds before booking we learned our lesson.
jgiarrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:12 PM   #15
wjo

As above June 21 subject to change. We live 60 miles north of the Sweetgrass hills spend lots of time in Montana can't wait for stuff to open up hopefully don't have to quarantine for 14 days
wjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:28 PM   #16

I camped at Glacier NP late August in 2019. I loved the park and saw lots of wildlife. For 2 nights I stayed in the East Entrance KOA. I would not plan to stay there again.
TST 507 TPMS
nutdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:56 PM   #17

We camped at the East Glacier KOA. It's got great views of the mountains and you're a stones throw away from the Visitors Center where you can pick up a shuttle bus to go on the Going-to-the-Sun Road.
It's in the middle of an Indian Reservation so some conveniences that you expect in the town might not be there.
We spent a couple of nights there, then went to the West Glacier. Luckily we had reservations, since a bear made a visit to a tent camper and they closed the campgrounds in the park til it could be relocated. No injuries thankfully.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSman View Post
Just thought I would mention that he going to the sun road has severe size restrictions for height, width and length. Don't expect to take your TT in that road.
Also, I believe that the Canadian border is currently closed to recreational travel. I would double check that if you do plan to go into Canada.
Canada border closed until June 21. Only Essential Travel!
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:32 AM   #19

My 2 cents.
The Road to the Sun is full of great views! I think they are making good progress on the snow removal and won't be open before June 22. Some snow pics on the road this year:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/glacie...57713900310191

Logan's Pass parking lot gets full quick. I think last year the parking lot was full by about 8:30 am! Travelling it both ways lets you take in the views of everything from both angles. Highway 2 on the south side of the park has some nice views and is a lot less congested. It ends in East Glacier, which has some nice restaurants. If you are on the west side, and like sight seeing, a trip to Pole Bridge is worth it for the day.

The Canada/US border is still closed and depending on how the 'ol one niner is doing in June, will determine if the powers that be reopen it.

Being a Canuck, I also enjoy visiting Waterton Park, and think it has a lot of great sights. I'm not sure if they're reopening the two main roads in the park that open up lots of trail access. They have been closed since the Kenow Fire in 2017 which did A LOT of damage in the back country of the park. The fire was hot enough that it killed the top 2-6" of top soil, and they figure it will take close to 100 years to return it to the way it was.

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:51 AM   #20

We stayed at Mountain Meadow a few years ago. Decent campground with all the stuff you need. Convenient to the park. But since you've visited before you probably know what to expect traffic-wise. There were several places we wanted to visit in the park, but couldn't find a place to park our TV.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote