Old 02-29-2020, 06:07 PM   #1

Wink May Trip to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone

We are planning a trip out West in mid May. We are driving a Ford F350 and pulling a 34 foot Cedar Creek Fifth Wheel.
We will be leaving the east coast via route 70, visiting family along the way but ultimately planning on being in Cheyenne on or about May 28th. We want to see the Grand Tetons, Jackson Hole and Yellowstone. I am wondering how many out there don’t make reservations ahead for this trip? I know it’s far too late to reserve in the National Parks but I also have read a lot of the camp grounds are 1st come basis.
Can I get some recommendations on a good route and camping/campgrounds from members that have traveled this route? We are willing to tweak our itinerary as we are flexible. Also, any recommendations on the vest route when pulling a large rig up the mountains. I had thought about staying at a campground in Victor, Idaho since it’s close to Jackson Hole much less expensive.
Thank you in advance for any input and help. Happy Camping!!!!

MelFor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:15 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
This is far earlier in the year then i have traveled. I know Gros Ventre's campground in Tetons was first-come a few years ago (and has 30amp service). At the time even in August it did not fill most days. We used it because we planned too late. We stayed in a small CG in Teton Village for $85 a night the day before.

NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:39 PM   #3

Coming or going, try to visit Cody, WY for the Buffalo Bill Museum/complex https://centerofthewest.org

Admission good for 2 days - you'll need it. Stayed at Absaroka Bay RV park
index for 3 nights and it was perfect. On the edge of town, easy
drive to Museums.

Great part of the country! Have a good trip.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:47 PM   #4

We were out that way two years ago and stayed in Dubois WY. We did have reservations at the Local KOA, but I'd think your not to late at this point. It's centrally located and you can be in the Tetons, Yellowstone or Jackson Hole in fairly short order.
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #5

Try to make reservation now! We made West Yellowstone reservation about now and got in. It was full the days we were there.
Jdhudkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:59 PM   #6

May is a bit early for visiting Yellowstone. Been there 12 or more times and got snowed on during the week of July 4th. June is probably a better time. Keep in mind parts of the park are as high as 10,000 ft.
jrlepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:03 PM   #7

Suggestions

Highly recommend Big Pine Campground in Custer and Absoroka Bay RV Park in Cody WY, Colter Bay Village in Moran wy, and Henrys Lake State Park about 15 miles west of Yellowstone Western Entrance in Island Park, Idaho

Highly suggest reservation in the Teton and Yellowstone area as soon as you can, especially if over 4th July.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:07 PM   #8

Gros Ventre campground in GT is first come first serve only. They have 15 or so electric sites. The rarely fill this campground, even in July. I stayed at the Dubois KOA and got up early to go to Gros Ventre by 8am to try to get an electric site. It worked, and that was July, peak time.

I also stayed at Colter Bay with a reservation. For May you might find a reservation now. There are a couple of private campgrounds just east of Moran. Not a bad location if you want just one place. I choose a week at each of the above mentioned campgrounds in the park to reduce driving.

Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone is closed until Sept, and is only campground in the park with hookups. Staying at a private campground in West Yellowstone is the best place if you want elec, etc. The Canyon area and Hayden Valley, and Lamar Valley are a bit far from there. Madison campground in the park is a bit closer but don't know if a big rig can get in those spots, and no elec.

May is supposed to be the best time to see bears in the park. Hope to get there in May sometime. Not sure if all the roads are cleared of snow at this time, especially Mt Washburn.

Cody, east of Yellowstone has a great set of museums, but is 70 mi away, hard to do day trips into the park. The Beartooth highway is usually a must on Yellowstone trips, but won't be open in May.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:12 PM   #9

Campgrounds

You might want to check campground at Flagg Ranch. Hookups and about 2-3 miles from YNP South Gate. I would always call the reservation folks at the National Park, they can tell you quickly if any NP campgrounds have reservable sites available. The length of your trailer and tow vehicle might limit you for some spots in the NP system.
Bailsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:14 PM   #10

May 15th 2019 we stayed at, Yellowstone Grizzly RV park and May 20th stayed at, Grand Tetons, Colter Bay Village, had reservations for both and it was a good thing we did because they were booked. I made both reservations in the month of February 2019
Ready2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelFor View Post
We are planning a trip out West in mid May. We are driving a Ford F350 and pulling a 34 foot Cedar Creek Fifth Wheel.
We will be leaving the east coast via route 70, visiting family along the way but ultimately planning on being in Cheyenne on or about May 28th. We want to see the Grand Tetons, Jackson Hole and Yellowstone. I am wondering how many out there donít make reservations ahead for this trip? I know itís far too late to reserve in the National Parks but I also have read a lot of the camp grounds are 1st come basis.
Can I get some recommendations on a good route and camping/campgrounds from members that have traveled this route? We are willing to tweak our itinerary as we are flexible. Also, any recommendations on the vest route when pulling a large rig up the mountains. I had thought about staying at a campground in Victor, Idaho since itís close to Jackson Hole much less expensive.
Thank you in advance for any input and help. Happy Camping!!!!

I noticed that you asked about other routes as well. Everybody jumped on your final area. Have you thought about stopping in Dayton Ohio and doing the National Air Force Museum and the Wright Brothers Bicycle Shop? 29 north out of Kansas City to 90 into Billings. This would give you the Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Wind Cave National Monument, Crazy Horse Monument (a work in progress). How much time are you allotting for this trip?
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailsh View Post
You might want to check campground at Flagg Ranch. Hookups and about 2-3 miles from YNP South Gate. I would always call the reservation folks at the National Park, they can tell you quickly if any NP campgrounds have reservable sites available. The length of your trailer and tow vehicle might limit you for some spots in the NP system.
X2

We've stayed at Flagg Ranch several times. Its located in the National Forest, along the Snake River between YNP and GTNP. Very convenient to both parks. I understand they've done substantial renovations to the park since the last time we were the about 5 years ago. When we were there the electrical connections in the full hookup sites were only 20amp. but I think that's been upgraded. BTW, take the warnings about bears seriously. The campground is in grizzly country. Also, the adjacent lodge sells gas and diesel and has some grocery shopping. Check it out at https://www.gtlc.com/lodges/headwate...at-flagg-ranch
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:08 PM   #13

It's been a few years since we've been there, so I have no current information.

However, your best information regarding conditions on the parks is their website. Yellowstone has road conditions, camping information and other useful information here: https://www.nps.gov/yell/index.htm
Old 03-02-2020, 05:10 PM   #14

Sylvan Lake

We camped at Sylvan Lake campground in Grand Teton NP in an electric site (not sure if full hook ups are available). We did not have a reservation, and this was late August. Since no sites are reserveable, we reserved a site outside the entrance but learned when we drove in that we could have gotten a site at Sylvan Lake even in the afternoon. It was a great campground, but we have a short rig, so you might not have the same luck. Tetons are less crowded than Yellowstone, though.
Eldereaglewatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:13 PM   #15

while traveling from Jackson Wyoming to Yellowstone, there is a very nice campground called Colter Bay along the road past Jackson Lake. Some full hookups. We go every fall to Jackson Lake. Signal Mtn campground is okay but not for big trailers. Colter Bay has pull through spots. Very roomy and still in the trees. Lake is very close by. That’s our campground is choice now. Close to Yellowstone too.
GmaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldereaglewatcher View Post
We camped at Sylvan Lake campground in Grand Teton NP in an electric site (not sure if full hook ups are available). We did not have a reservation, and this was late August. Since no sites are reserveable, we reserved a site outside the entrance but learned when we drove in that we could have gotten a site at Sylvan Lake even in the afternoon. It was a great campground, but we have a short rig, so you might not have the same luck. Tetons are less crowded than Yellowstone, though.
Do you mean Signal Mtn campground? I don't think there is a Sylvan Lake campground in Grand Teton.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:05 PM   #17

You're right. I should have said Signal Mountain. And another post mentioned that their rig might be too long for Signal Mountain. Our 2109S was fine, but it's small. Thanks for the correction.
Eldereaglewatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:34 PM   #18

Pack your parka and gloves. Last time I was there, in June, light jackets were barely enough.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:50 PM   #19

I will chime in here. We were out there last year and the parks are great.
The I29 to I90 is a good route. I90 is a great interstate. In very good shape. There is a nice city park in Montrose, SD. I90 will take you by Wall Drug, they have room for big rigs, Minutemen museum, badlands, Custer State park south of rapid city is great along with Mt Rushmore.
If you are staying on the East side of Glacier, we stayed at the St Marys KOA. Pricy, but the red bus tour picks you up at the CG and took the boat tour on St Marys Lake. Not much to do in St Marys. Oh, rt89 out of St Marys on the 4 lane, there is a very nice overlook. Worth the short drive.
I would recommend taking rt489 out of Browning to Babb. Their was a lot of construction on route 89 to St Marys. Travel on wet gravel, narrow. They must be putting in a 4 lane. Check for construction information We came out on rt489 with a very pleasant, easy on the rig. BTW, fuel in Glacier is expensive, plan accordingly.
Going to Yellowstone I would stay in West Yellowstone. Close to the park. Cody is on the East side but you will have about a 45min drive just to get to the park. The park is large, closer to entrance the better.
If you are staying in Jackson Hole area transit thru Yellowstone into Teton. Easier that going over the Teton pass. Yellowstone is really large, we we t into the park for 4 days and still did not see it all. Fantastic.
While in Jackson Hole ski resort, go early (parking) and take the ski lift up the mountain. Beautiful.
Yellowstone Tip, rise early, eat breakfast and coffee in or near the park, maybe a breakfast picnic, picnic for lunch. Back to RV for nap and dinner. Back into the park after dinner for sunsets, etc.
We stayed at West Yellowstone KOA. Again pricey and full. Lots of amenities. If you want to see Steamboat, rise early and make a beeline. We missed it because of parking.
Sorry about the tour guide, got carried away. Enjoy your trip, we did.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:12 AM   #20

X2 what OldGal3 said. Also I've not pulled with a set up like yours, but if you are planning to go from Jackson to Victor, it is steep. Do a Google Earth (free download if you don't already have it) and pay attention to elevation change along the highway. It is a beautiful drive and sunset on the WY side of the summit at the pull out is a must. Do some planning, like you are now, give yourself time, and it'll be a great trip that you'll want to make more than once for all there is to see and do. :-)

Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote