Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2020, 02:07 PM   #1

Mid May 2020 Yosemite to Denver Rt70?

Class C with Toad
Hello forum members. In Mid May after a visit to Yosemite (have a reservation at Upper Pines) I then plan to head for Denver and Colorado Springs. The most direct route is via Rt 70. Should this route be passable and what about the Chain law? I was thinking that a more southerly track on Rt50 may be safer and warmer what do you think? Also any suggestions on must see or where to stay would be appreciated.

2022 Coachmen Apex Remote 16R (Remo)
New Hampshire
Wood2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:28 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Capt Kidd Send a message via MSN to Capt Kidd
Mid June should not be a problem unless you get a freak storm.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:01 PM   #3

Going to make a new thread

Thanks Cap'n Kidd. Now I must admit that i posted this without proofreading. I am traveling mid May not Mid June. I am a poor multi-tasker.

New Hampshire
Old 01-16-2020, 08:35 PM   #4

I live in Colorado... Our snowyest months are March and April statewide. The mountains tend to have a longer winter season. With that being said, the road conditions are difficult to predict. While they may be most likely clear most of the time in mid-May...anything is possible. Best advice is to check the 7 day outlook for Vail Pass and the Eisenhower Tunnel (highest altitude points along the way) before departure and adjust your flight plan accordingly.

2014 Spartan 1032
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali 4WD/Duramax
RockyMtnMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:36 PM   #5

I live near Yosemite. The east gate (Tioga Pass) is usually still closed mid May, depending on the snow pack. The west side remains open. From the west side you may have to take I-80 E. to Reno and then 580/395 S. to 50 E. (should be fine.) Cutting through Lake Tahoe on I-50 E. is questionable. Just stay up on the weather forecasts for any potential late season storms.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:46 AM   #6

Thanks mtnlvr. My path is like this. If the weather cooperates with us we may extend our stay in the Yosemite area, exploring Stanislaus or ElDorado. This would make our Rocky mountain traverse late May-ish. We love rural America and often avoid interstate highways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yos to Den2.PNG
Views:	82
Size:	489.7 KB
ID:	222005  

New Hampshire
Old 01-18-2020, 09:50 AM   #7

Things to see or stay on Rt50 Nevada, Utah

Does anyone know of things to see or places to camp along Rt50 in Nevada, Utah and Colorado?

New Hampshire
Old 01-18-2020, 10:38 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Capt Kidd Send a message via MSN to Capt Kidd
There are lots of kool things to see and do on Hwy 50. There is Sand Mountain Nevada just outside of Fallon if you are into off roading. The KOA in Ely is a good place to stay. In Austin there is an old tower to see. There are some caves near the eastern end. Have fun.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:15 PM   #9

I agree; I much prefer getting off the large interstates and seeing the back country. Are you aware that hwy. 50 E. to Utah is called “ The Lonliest Hwy. in America “? I drove to Utah last year taking both I-80 and I-50. I preferred the 50 route. The 80 was just loaded with semis and less scenic.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:25 AM   #10

Thanks

Thanks all who replied. There is a lot to do and see in the western US, if the path across thw mountains is not clear of snow and ice we'll hang in CA for a bit.
Life's good!

New Hampshire