Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2019, 07:08 PM   #1

Million dollar hwy from Durango, to Ouray, Co

2017 Coachman Pursuit, 27kb. Has anyone driven the road ? We are towing our Jeep and all the horror stories, are worrying me a bit.
the thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by the thing View Post
2017 Coachman Pursuit, 27kb. Has anyone driven the road ? We are towing our Jeep and all the horror stories, are worrying me a bit.

We did it last October with a 40’ 5er. No problem. Just watch for snow and freezing temps. We watched the temps going in to Ouray but didn’t pay attention to the forecast coming back and went through snow and ice.

Won’t do it that late in the year next time.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:24 PM   #3

Easy drive... Just wish I had autopilot so that I could enjoy the incredible views.
We did it in August with a 40' fiver.
Would do it again in a heartbeat.
We were driving from Mesa Verde to Ouray.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 2 Gooseneck Mount
mekkerlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:46 PM   #4

I drove across from Ouray a couple of times, and I would NOT pull my 35' Windjammer through that road. If you meet one big truck, or another camping rig, then there will be a problem for you to pass each other. There are no guard rails and multi-hundred foot drops. The cars that are at the bottom from accidents are not retrieved. There are other ways around....
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:56 PM   #5

Thanks. We decided to stay in Durango and just take day trips up to Ouray. I am glad that's what we decided to do.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
The Driver

We did the same thing last late summer, but decided to base in Ouray instead of Durango. KOA there was good for us. This was during the fire time in Durango. Rented Jeep in Ouray for exploring.
PoppySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:06 PM   #7

Hiway 550 is a full two lane road. Most of the corners are signed for at least 30 mph. There is plenty of room for two semis to pass in opposite directions. I don't care if there are guardrails or not. Where I live in southwestern Wisconsin we have narrower, more crooked state and county roads. I have never become so fixated on the dropoffs that I have driven off of them. I have also never driven close to the edge and had my truck and TT tip over due to the distance to the bottom of the slope. By the way, counties do not put guardrails on their roads. I have traveled in 48 states and driven over all of the major passes/mountain roads in the lower 48. Never had a problem.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:42 PM   #8

Her are some photos of the several US 550 "S" and "U" (switchback) curves between Durango and Ouray. All of them are not really an issue. It is a fun and picturesque drive, towing or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Million-Dollar-Highway-between-Silverton-and-OurayHighsmith2015-1000.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	534.4 KB
ID:	208626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen-Shot-2018-02-27-at-10.55.58-AM.png
Views:	131
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	208627  
Attached Images

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:39 PM   #9

I just got back from a trip there. I did it in a Chevy Colorado pulling at 19' GeoPro with no problem.
EHT61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:29 AM   #10

Awww, you flat landers are cute when it comes to the mountains. It is entertaining watching how terrified you get. Contrary to popular belief, the drop offs are not strewn with wreckage from all the vehicles that suddenly decided to leap to their deaths. Yes, there are no guardrails, yes some of the drop offs are long, but don't you have 2 lane highways in the midwest? Are you constantly leaving the road on those? If your answer is no, then you will be fine.

The sites are beautiful. The problem is that the driver can't see most of them because they should be paying attention to the road which is the case anywhere.

Winter is a different story. Depending on weather and road conditions I would avoid it if I could, however, if I had to, I would still drive it (not pulling a trailer in winter).
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #11
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Her are some photos of the several US 550 "S" and "U" (switchback) curves between Durango and Ouray. All of them are not really an issue. It is a fun and picturesque drive, towing or not.
That last picture is a whole lot of "nope" for me! [emoji16] [emoji16] [emoji16]
Flywithlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:55 PM   #12

We live at the base of the Superstition Mountains and have driven extensively in mountains all over the country. My question was not because I'm a flat lander but because I was looking for input to be aware, before we went. I really do appreciate your opinion however. Thank you so much.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:40 PM   #13

Hello from Canada and I hope someone will understand my question from Canada. First my 5er is a Cedar Creek 36ck2. I figure I will be about 14,500 lbs max. My TV is a 2018 Chev duramax 3500 SRW. This question would be great for anyone that has done this but I am going to Penticton British Columbia via Kamloops British Columbia. There is a a mountain pass through Meritt British Columbia to the okanagan. My hope is there will be someone familiar with this highway and has pulled a similar 5er. Sorry for the long note but not sure if I should attempt this.....thanks
jmcclocklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcclocklin View Post
Hello from Canada and I hope someone will understand my question from Canada. First my 5er is a Cedar Creek 36ck2. I figure I will be about 14,500 lbs max. My TV is a 2018 Chev duramax 3500 SRW. This question would be great for anyone that has done this but I am going to Penticton British Columbia via Kamloops British Columbia. There is a a mountain pass through Meritt British Columbia to the okanagan. My hope is there will be someone familiar with this highway and has pulled a similar 5er. Sorry for the long note but not sure if I should attempt this.....thanks
I bet you'd have better luck getting a response if you start a new message. I'd make the subject line "Penticton British Columbia via Kamloops." That would catch the attention of anyone that has driven the route you are considering.
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_reaves View Post
I bet you'd have better luck getting a response if you start a new message. I'd make the subject line "Penticton British Columbia via Kamloops." That would catch the attention of anyone that has driven the route you are considering.
Great idea thanks
jmcclocklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:55 PM   #16

The road arond Ouray is narrow with few guard rails. There is a lot of truck traffic. It is no that bad until it starts snowing. In the summer they get hail storms which are like ball bearings. The weather has a lot to do with how those roads feel driving them.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:54 PM   #17

Joeuncool, I love your response. I live in Wisconsin and it is fun to listen to people around hear that can't believe that I would take my family on such dangerous roads. I feel that the interstate highways through cities are far more dangerous than mountain roads. I get to the Rockies about every other year and I travel roads like 550 because they are the way they are. I love roads like that. My kids call them "roads with character."
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote