Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2016, 10:55 AM   #1
Explorer

Must sees in or around Joshua Tree National?

Doing a quick(10 day) trip and would love any info on must does. We are always looking for adventures, beauty, nature(kids love animals, I’m a flower nut), interesting history/science…
The trip is from San Jose, Ca to Havasu, Az to Joshua , Febuary 9-18th;this is not our first trip to Havasu but Joshua Tree is all new.
The plan is to move quickly toward Havasu with a short off-shoot to Lancaster for the Musical Road, a road grooved to play a musical tune when driven over. Just info: I hear the star spangled banner road is outside of Albuquerque somewhere. Something to do……
Havasu is having a fireworks demo/sales show that weekend so lots to watch, day and night. We’ll probably do the slot canyon(Crack in the Wall), feed the wild burros, London Bridge, we’ll be hanging out at the SARA gun club shooting some trap and letting the family work on their skills. We’ll meet up with Grandma and Grandpa(full-timers) and probably Sister and her family.
Is there anything ells, local, at Havasu we’re missing? I know there are solar fields and maybe wind fields out that way, has anyone ever done an informational tour?
Never been down to Joshua Tree national so I did the web search on the area, figure we can do 3 days. We’ll be coming in from the North East, any must see stuff on that side of the park? Any natural hot springs(I’m not a “spa” guy), good nature viewing areas…….?
I have some thoughts on going over to the Salton Sea, just because we’ve never been. Anyone know a good reason to go there, we have floated in the Great Salt Lake and its flies.
We’ll head back toward the coast probably doing Pismo Beach, definitely bypassing LA.
Time will be running out but I would like to do a day to San Simeon to see the monarch butterflies and the elephant seals. Not that we don’t have them close by the Bay Area, just some place different. We have done Hurst Castle.
It would be nice to follow up Hwy 1 on the way home, the Big Sur coast line is beautiful. I have never stopped on the southern side of Big Sur so that could be nice. Are there any great coastal view camping areas for a one nighter?
I think this post may be longer than my trip.
Can you tell I’m excited!
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:04 AM   #2

Sounds fun. I haven't done it but would love to hear the post trip updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Pill Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:31 AM   #3

How is the trip going?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Pill Billy is offline   Reply With Quote