Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #1

My first BIG trip.

If all goes well I'm going to be headed out west with some of my extended family. Headed to grand canyon, moab, monument valley up the mountains and over to Mt Rushmore. And back to Tennessee. Just bought a new to me tow pig (07 F250) will be pulling a 36.5 ft Surveyor SV305. I will have the wife and two boys (5 & 3). Will be traveling with my father and his clan in a Prevost motorcoach. Added it up roughly going to be a 4500 mile round the block trip. This will be by far the longest trip I have ever attempted. Any veteran advise will be helpful.
Kamping Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #2

Nice! I'm not that "veteran" enough with a TT, had a pop up for years but wishing you a good time, sounds like fun.
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #3

Sounds like a great trip. Years ago I went to the same places and had a great time. At that time I was tent camping. I found out after buying a National Park pass, that got you into all the National Parks, that Monument Valley was on Indian Land and they didn't recognize the pass. It cost 25 cents a minute for water to shower with. We also went to Mesa Verde and Canyonlands. Have a great time out there.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChow View Post
Sounds like a great trip. Years ago I went to the same places and had a great time. At that time I was tent camping. I found out after buying a National Park pass, that got you into all the National Parks, that Monument Valley was on Indian Land and they didn't recognize the pass. It cost 25 cents a minute for water to shower with. We also went to Mesa Verde and Canyonlands. Have a great time out there.
$.25 a minute?? Glad I have my own shower as small as it may be!! Lol. I never been out west before other than a 2 day training trip to San Diego which we flew at night both ways.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #5

Nice you will be traveling with another rig. It always makes me feel a little more secure to have another rv along. Mesa Verde over towards Durango is agood stop. If you are just driving by and decide ro stop there ... You must drop,your trailer at teh base, only rigs allowed on the road are C class.
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #6

I asked the old man did he have a route planned out and places picked out to stop and/or reservations. He said "nope just gonna wing it". This should be interesting.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #7

When traveling we usually only have reservations for our major stop. Normal travel days, we decide about midday how far we are going to drive and whoever is not driving starts looking for camp grounds and RV parks. We carry the Trailer Life directory and have the iPad with a cellular connection so we can check out reviews. Of course we also have a few favorites in areas we travel more often.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #8

Well as it often happens plans and (mostly) finances decided to change the trip plans. Been postponed for a year. So instead the wife, boys and I are going to head south to the beach for about a week. Does anyone have any advice on where the best place to stay? Would obviously prefer beachfront RV parks. Or as close as we can get.