Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 09:08 AM   #1

Need advice planning first RV Trip - SD & WY

We are trying to plan out our first trip from our RV pickup in Michigan to Wyoming. We expect to leave late August.

We only have a couple of weeks so I planned out the following stops:

Badlands National Park
Custer State Park
Mount Rushmore National Memorial
Devils Tower National Monument

https://goo.gl/maps/nCTAQSFQGjp

Did I pick the best route? Any other stops or areas I missed? Never been out west in a car or RV before. Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated!
MBSNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:14 AM   #2

Deadwood if you have the time.
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #3

Deadwood for sure. Plus, check out the decommissioned Minuteman missle underground launch control center. It's run by the National Park Service and is right off of I-90. You have to get tickets at the visitors center at exit 131 and they go quickly.

Also, check out Wall Drug in the little town of Wall, SD. You'll see billboards for it all along the Interstate.

Oh.... Make sure you take some warm clothes. We were staying at the KOA in Rapid City the second week of September 2014. It was in the 90's a couple of days.... Then on the 11th we woke up to 2" of snow. Drove up to Deadwood and they had 8" there!

Days camped in 2016: 58[/COLOR]
Days camped in 2017: 87[/COLOR]
LarryInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInNC View Post
Deadwood for sure. Plus, check out the decommissioned Minuteman missle underground launch control center. It's run by the National Park Service and is right off of I-90. You have to get tickets at the visitors center at exit 131 and they go quickly.

Also, check out Wall Drug in the little town of Wall, SD. You'll see billboards for it all along the Interstate.

Oh.... Make sure you take some warm clothes. We were staying at the KOA in Rapid City the second week of September 2014. It was in the 90's a couple of days.... Then on the 11th we woke up to 2" of snow. Drove up to Deadwood and they had 8" there!
Bob and Larry,

Great suggestions! Regarding the missile site - Will I get to see the WOPR Computer there?

Interesting about the weather. I'm very allergic to the white stuff. Have dodged it for several years now.
MBSNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:31 AM   #5

Devils Tower can be a day trip from where you are tied down at in SD. Depending on what you are driving take the Engineers Highway and Needles Highway drives plus a stop at the Crazy Horse site.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #6

SD Trip

A stop in Mitchel S.D. for a visit to the corn palace. is fun and you have to stop at Wall Drug all fun stuff wish I was going with you
Paynediaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:28 PM   #7

If you have any interest in native American culture I recommend the Akta Lakota Sioux Museum in Chamberlain, SD.
jamesarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:43 PM   #8
jkoenig24

In the Mt Rushmore area; Needles Hwy is a beautiful scenic ride BUT, check to be sure your vehicle will fit (there are several tight spots). If it's too big, you can take a bus ride on the Needles Hwy. Well worth it.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #9

Post RV trip to SD/WY

Crazy Horse for sure! Custer and Keystone are cool little towns and the 1880's train from Hill City to Keystone (or reverse) is a good ride if you like trains.

2014 Sunseeker3050S
wrbenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:25 PM   #10
Retired Techie

Just spent a week there exploring. Based out of Hermosa heartland rv
2013 Keystone Springdale 5r Sold
1998 Honda Valkerie Sld
2016 Camping 148 days so far Bought park model and moved to Florida.
moligney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:01 PM   #11

I would take I-80 to I-39 to avoid driving through Chicago traffic. We went through there at the end of May on our way to Yellowstone.

The waterfalls in downtown Sioux Falls is very picturesque.

If you are towing a trailer or have a toad, here are some suggestions for Custer State Park. Iron Mountain road (Rt 16A) from Custer State Park to Mt Rushmore has 3 tunnels that frame Mt Rushmore as you drive north to Mt Rushmore. On the Needles Highway, the tunnel at the Eye of the Needle is only 8' wide. Both the Iron Mountain road and the Needles Highway have height and width restrictions so they are not suitable for motor homes.

There are several nice waterfalls along the Spearfish Canyon Hwy (Alt Rt 14 south of Spearfish).

If it is too hot, there is Wind Cave NP and Jewel Cave NM near Custer to cool off.

You may want to drive into Montana on I-90 (Crow Agency exit) or take US-212 from the Black Hills to visit the Little Big Horn battlefield.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #12

Are you staying in the area? We are right now at Rafter J Bar campground based on the recommendations from this forum. It is beautiful and centrally located. Iron Mountain Road is a must drive. Amazing roads and tunnels. Followed winnebago motor home through them. I was sure he wouldn't fit, but he did. This drive is not for an rv but really worth it.

I can't disagree with anything that was said here. Everyone of these suggestions are dead on.

Deadwood is great. You may be coming during the Rally at Sturgis. I'd avoid that. Last year had 2 million people there I was told.

Have fun. This is an amazing and beautiful part of the country.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:44 PM   #13

Sturgis motorcycle rally is August 8-14.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:24 PM   #14

Just google: Buffalo Jump , Wy. On US National registry. Historic and amazing. Nice road stop.
Hiker12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:35 PM   #15

Heartland RV park if a member of Passport America, 22.50 a night

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote