Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2021, 05:22 PM   #1

Need Colorado Campground Help!

The DW and I are looking to book a trip out to Colorado early August and are having trouble finding campgrounds we want to stay at. We don't like the crowded, mobile home type RV parks. We like to feel a bit more secluded. We do, however prefer sites that have electricity. We've never boondocked and while the idea appeals to me, I don't think Colorado is the place I want to try it for the first time.

We just want a view without feeling like we're sharing our site with our neighbors. That shouldn't be too much to ask!

So far, the closest thing I've found is Golden Gate Canyon SP. The sites are not right on top of each other and there are trees between many of them. The views probably aren't as good since you're in the trees but that's ok. We'll probably split the vacation up between two different campgrounds; one a little to the North and one a little farther South so we can explore more of the state.

Ridgeway SP is our choice so far in the Southern region. Won't have the shade like Golden Gate does but the views should be more open. There are several campsites here that look like they have some space to spread out and don't have other campers practically sharing your campsite.

Seems like all the other campsites I'm finding that appeal to us would have us boondocking. Surely there are other RV campgrounds that don't feel like a KOA (no offense to those that like KOA's. They're just not our thing).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2021, 05:40 PM   #2

Colorado has plenty of public land and lots of National Forests and remote areas. I would suggest learning something about dry camping and trying some of the older, smaller USFS camp grounds.

Once you are comfortable with that, then boondocking is easy.

I just can't imagine traveling from out of state to a state like CO and hanging out in RV parks and only camp sites with hookups. Do whatever makes you happy, but how do you know that without trying new things?
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:43 PM   #3

Ridgeway is very crowded in summer. beautiful place . got last spot on time on a trip. buy the. hwy. make a res months ahead of time. the sites on top overlookig lake are no kid friendly or if you sleep walk. cliff site. we stayed at blue mesa res . rec.gov. sites. and black canyon of the gunnison. has sites . a super busy place for camping , lots to do.. we loved the place.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:56 PM   #4
Always Learning

Mountaindale campground in Colorado Springs was a unique place. RV park but quirky layout. I’d go back there.

Lots of people spoke highly of Cheyenne State Park. We drove through but didn’t stay.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Mountaindale campground in Colorado Springs was a unique place. RV park but quirky layout. I’d go back there.

Lots of people spoke highly of Cheyenne State Park. We drove through but didn’t stay.

Yeah, I looked at Cheyenne SP. It doesn't look too bad if you can get the right spot.

So, is that all there is? Surely not! Hopefully more folks will chime in on this.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:44 AM   #6

We enjoy Ridgway State Park. Great trout fishing if you fly fish. Some campgrounds have sewer. Plan ahead.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:43 PM   #7

Western CO

If you'll be in the west, James Robb Colorado River State Park has 3 different campgrounds. We've stayed in the one just east of Grand Junction. Site was right on the river. Not much shade but sites are well spread out. There is electricity. We also drove through the Fruita, CO section of the same park, and it also looked nice. Remember over there is desert climate so not a lot of big tree shade until you get in higher elevations.
Eldereaglewatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:55 PM   #8

Lathrop SP just west of Walsenburg has a 2 lakes, trails, elect, dump station, trees but not to shade your RV. Sites are sufficiently far apart, mostly pull thru. There is even a golf course!
KaptnKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:00 PM   #9

Ridgeway is a great state park for camping, good sized campsites, nice location in San Juans. Its my favorite place in Colorado for viewing/photographing Aspens. But you will need to go the last week of Sept/first week Oct to view the peak Aspens.

State parks are your best bet if you want utilities and more room than a KOA. There are many national forest campgrounds, but often no utilities.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:13 PM   #10

Quote:

We stayed at Mountaindale also. Very nice park, only down side is it’s like a 20 minute drive to Colorado Springs.
kurtsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:34 PM   #11

Colorado campgrounds

Riverview in Loveland is a very nice park right on the Big Thompson river use to go there all the time when we lived in Colorado.
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:42 PM   #12

We stayed at Rifle Gap SP last summer. Very quiet and remote tucked away in the mountains. CG is on a reservoir. CG water goes through an RO system, so very clean. Less than an hour away from Glenwood Springs (to soak in the hot springs). Rifle Falls SP is close by as well worth the visit for a bit of hiking.

Safe and happy travels.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:09 PM   #13

Quote:

Site 33 is the best in the whole CG. Easy to back into and lots of space.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief T View Post
We stayed at Rifle Gap SP last summer. Very quiet and remote tucked away in the mountains. CG is on a reservoir. CG water goes through an RO system, so very clean. Less than an hour away from Glenwood Springs (to soak in the hot springs). Rifle Falls SP is close by as well worth the visit for a bit of hiking.

Safe and happy travels.

Rifle Gap looks like it has several campsites with space and a nice view. I'm used to camping in the woods with lots of shade. With so many of these campsites I'm finding being out in the open, how hot can I expect it to be in these shade-less campgrounds in early August?
Old 01-14-2021, 04:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daebado View Post
Rifle Gap looks like it has several campsites with space and a nice view. I'm used to camping in the woods with lots of shade. With so many of these campsites I'm finding being out in the open, how hot can I expect it to be in these shade-less campgrounds in early August?
It will most likely be in the 90s (at least it was for us last August). But, if you strategically select your site with the curbside facing north/northeast you'll be in the shade under the awning during the heat of the day.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:45 PM   #16

You want a view?? All of Colorado has a view....
What do you want to do is a question to also answer.

We have camped multiple times in Colorado with an idea of what to do.

We have stayed at 'Mountain Dale' and would recommend that. yes it is 20 minutes or so south of Colorado Springs, that makes it great to be 'away' from the city and them go to 'the city' to do touristy stuff. Had three bears come into the park for several days in a row while we were there. Don't leave food or little animals outside for the bears lunch...

We have stayed at '11 Mile State Park'. Oh my, what a view of the view of the lake and cloud below you and the expanse of stars and mountains above you. 30-40 miles west of Colorado Springs

We have also camped a few miles north of Canon City and did some sweeeet White Water Rafting.

Do some google and you will be able to find a lot of places to camp that you will love.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
You want a view?? All of Colorado has a view....
What do you want to do is a question to also answer.

We have camped multiple times in Colorado with an idea of what to do.
We mainly want to hike and see the mountains. Not generally into touristy stuff but will probably have to check out a mining town or two since we're there.

Quote:
We have stayed at '11 Mile State Park'. Oh my, what a view of the view of the lake and cloud below you and the expanse of stars and mountains above you. 30-40 miles west of Colorado Springs

Never thought of 11 Mile SP! I've stayed at 11 Mile Canyon several times back in the early '80's when I was young and still tent camping. Don't think you can take travel trailers back there (and I wouldn't want to even if I could!) but I'll definitely check out the SP option. Would be cool to take a day trip back to the canyon for old time sake!

Quote:
Do some google and you will be able to find a lot of places to camp that you will love.
I've been googling and even using google maps til I'm blue in the face. That's why I'm asking the question here, 'cause I need help!
Speaking of help, thanks to you and everyone else who has replied so far for all of yours. It is helping!
Old 01-14-2021, 05:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daebado View Post
We mainly want to hike and see the mountains. Not generally into touristy stuff but will probably have to check out a mining town or two since we're there.

Never thought of 11 Mile SP! I've stayed at 11 Mile Canyon several times back in the early '80's when I was young and still tent camping. Don't think you can take travel trailers back there (and I wouldn't want to even if I could!) but I'll definitely check out the SP option. Would be cool to take a day trip back to the canyon for old time sake!

I've been googling and even using google maps til I'm blue in the face. That's why I'm asking the question here, 'cause I need help!
Speaking of help, thanks to you and everyone else who has replied so far for all of yours. It is helping!

I would then bump 11Mile SP to the top of the list to look at. You feel as though you are on the 'top of the world'.... but there are mountains still above you.. The sites have electric. There is a few water faucets in the loops to get water from (bring water containers). There is a dumps station (do you have a gray/black water carrier to dump?). There are one or two bathroom houses to go potty in so you do not have to use your camper if you do not want to, in the loops.They (bathrooms) have running water and are not 'pit' toilets, but there are some pit toilets. The shower house is coin operated to save water. We loved it and would go back if we got around to it.

The lake in the park) way up there can also be used for boating. saw a bunch of sail boats on it. also Kayaking and fishing if you are into that. there is a marina. The clouds came in every day and across the lake which was really neat and the lake and clouds are below the camp ground we were in. There is no grass that high up. Scrub brush and rocks, have some mats to put down in front of your unit. Around many parts of Colorado.... they do not have populations signs, just Altitude signs....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:14 PM   #19

Ridgway has some nice spots and some not so nice ones. Pac-achu-puk is nice if you can get the ones by the river. Mark your calendar I do believe that the reservations are 6 months in advance.
x-splicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:28 PM   #20

Ridgway pa-co-chu-puk g loop is below the dam and yes 6 month reservation window and they go fast!!
x-splicer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, mpg