Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #1

Need Denver, CO. to Big Bend NP, TX. travel suggestions.

We are headed to Big Bend NP, March, April from Denver, and would appreciate any suggestions for "things to do and see" on the trip. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:23 AM   #2

If you can stop by the Gage Hotel in Marathon TX and have the ribeye steak it is to die for, also while at Big Bend drive the river road (without trailer).
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:56 AM   #3

Go in March. It gets hot there early.

On the way there or home checkout Fort Davis Mtns State Park. We usually stay at Balmoreha State Park which is 40-miles north of Ft Davis. But we prefer Ft Davis SP overall.

Lots of miles between places out there. Heck, it's something like 80 miles just to drive into the National Park. Marfa, Alpine and Marathon are worth a visit but far between each one. Of course, Terlingua is nearby, quirky and interesting. And the State has a Big Bend Ranch State Park that is supposed to be worth checking out.

And some rich California land developer is trying to create a super swanky golf resort next door called LaJitas. I haven't been there for nearly 10-yrs, so I don't know if he's succeeded yet or not.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:19 AM   #4
2012 Solera

Carlsbad Caverns And Guadalupe Mountains National Parks are "on the way" and well worth visiting.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:57 AM   #5

The McDonald Observatory outside of Ft Davis is worth considering a visit.
metalsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #6

Thanks all, this is what I was looking for. It looks like broad trip plan will be Carlsbad Caverns NP, Big Bend NP, and White Sands NM ( We have been to all 3 ). Any other side trips would be welcome. We are open ended on time for this trip.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #7

Since you've been to White Sands, you may already know that Oliver Lee State Park just south of Alamogordo is a good base. A couple hours northeast of there is Lincoln; admission to the museum gives you access to the 4 or 5 other buildings pertinent to the Billy the Kid story. I think it was $5.00 when the DW and I went 3 years ago, and we felt it was a very worthwhile side trip.

The Blue Hole in Santa Rosa NM is a deep spring on the east side of town, the signs directing you there weren't all that clear, it's a nice place to stretch your legs and walk around a bit and you might see some scuba divers since the extremely clear blue water is always about the same temperature year-round.

Capulin Volcano Nat. Monument is a geologically young cinder cone about 45 minutes east of Raton NM, you can drive to the top (no trailers allowed though). There's a small RV park across the highway that would do for overnight - we stayed there one night in a tent almost 40 years ago, and I bet it's hardly changed since then.
'95 Coleman popup - sold it after serving us well

SERENITY NOW!
SkyWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:45 AM   #8

What a neat trip, I'd go down one way then back the other. You could drop off 25 outside of Las Vegas then meander through NM.

Go all the way down 25 and you've got Raton, Santa Fe, ABQ and Cruces for the best Mexican food in the world.

Don't forget Marfa, Alpine and Ft. Davis all of these are gems in the Texas desert.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel