Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2015, 09:04 AM   #1

Question New Mexico in Spring

It isn't too early to plan an early spring trip. We are thinking about New Mexico in late March - early April. We've never been there and I'm wondering if it is too early to find warm weather. Also I've read that spring is windy. Is that an issue with pulling a TT? Finally, recommendations on things to see and do would be appreciated. Thx - Merry Christmas
UltraV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
I Break Everything

We go to New Mexico every Spring Break, generally around March 10 through 24th give or take. We've been through the Ruidoso to Taos, we're coming from central Texas. The last 8 years we've been to Taos, northern NM. It can snow at lower elevations but in our experiences it's not too hazardous. However in the mountains it snows and all ski areas are open through out Spring Break.

Most ski resorts close relatively quick after the Spring Break season, unless they get a big blast of snow, they may stay open a week or so longer. We go skiing every year during SB because the weather is so warm in the mountains. No heavy snow gear, just a light shell and tshirts. We've stayed at Taos Valley RV Park in Taos for the last 7 years and Circle B RV Park in Ruidoso once.

We've stayed in Alto once, it was in the summer an that park isn't open during Spring break due to the snow. Not sure about April.

Depending on the year it can be quite warm or colder, but we've never experienced extremes either way.

We've pulled a TT and 5th wheel without any troubles. Late March and early April should be fine. I can't say I really remember the wind being a problem.

Santa Fe has quite a bit of shopping, museums, etc. Albuquerque shopping, their is a mall, plenty of good food. Northen NM, Taos area lots of small shops, no malls, Toas Pueblo outside of town, obviously skiing.

Rio Grande Gorge Bridge is pretty neat. You can walk across it. It's in the Taos area.

Check this website : RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:10 PM   #3
WFD

As posted by previous poster, depends where you have in mind in New Mexico, it's a big state and has quite varying micro climates.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:29 AM   #4

Temps can vary widely from North to South and due to elevation. Dress in layers as the morning can be near freezing and be in the 60's by afternoon. I think you'll find that if you keep your travel flexible and can adjust to whatever conditions you'll find.

Wind. Well yes, there are the spring time winds that can be a factor. Again be flexible, maybe stay one day longer when the wind is really blowing rather than getting on the road.

You didn't mention how long a trip you are planning. They're things to see all over the state. Carlsbad Caverns down south, White Sands (locals tip - you can visit the Trinity nuclear test site only two days every year and April 2nd is the spring opening), mountains, desserts, green or red chili on everything (or if you want both ask for "Christmas"), ancient ruins, modern day Pueblos. Spring and fall are the best times to visit. Summer thunderstorms and heat at the lower elevations make summer less favorable. Lots of "snowbirds" visit during the winter as southern NM stays fairly warm.

I think you'll find your trip very enjoyable.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:45 PM   #5

We did a long trip through New Mexico this fall on our way to winter in Texas. We loved the White Sands, the space museum in Alamogordo, all the pueblo ruins around the state, the Valley of Fires Recreation Area near Carrizozo (which is a BLM park with a nice campground overlooking the lava flow- with a National Parks pass you can stay for $8-10)
And of course Sante Fe - several nice campgrounds in the city right on the bus line make travel to downtown easy. You will really enjoy all the contrasts between south and north. In the north central part of the state visit (east of Santa Fe) is a smaller town Las Vegas. We loved just walking around the old square and the buildings downtown. The visitor center downtown has a walking tour map and will give you a great history lesson. The local people were wonderful.
frogsandhogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:48 PM   #6
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
This weekend I'll bet they were wish'n they were here....Quartzsite!
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:09 PM   #7

April May are the windy months. It can get very windy (40 -50 + mph). Can get some serious winter storms (usually last a couple of days and then clears). I live in Albuquerque and one year was going to Dallas at the end of March and a storm came through an shut down I-40 for a day (when I wanted to leave). So the north part of the state came have drastic changes. The south part is not quite as drastic. Overall, can be fairly mild. Just prepare for the worst but most likely it will not happen. The spring winds can be drastic (practically blow the semi-trucks backwards going west on I-40 coming in from Texas (semi-trucks usually pull off to the side until it blows over) and gas mileage really sucks. Trailers will be arocking.
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:21 PM   #8

If you're staying on state parks, New Mexico has an annual pass: http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/SPD/FeesPermits.html. It could be a good deal, depending on how long you're going to be there.
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #9

New Mexico has lots of BLM & Forrest that is awesome if you like roughing it.
nodrawers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:14 PM   #10

Points of Interest in New Mexico

A few points of interest I have visited and recommend in New Mexico.

Northwest New Mexico
Land of 19 pueblos, 22 Native Indian Tribes, among them the Navajo Nation which is the home of the largest Native American tribe in the United States (1/3 of the Navajo American Tribe resides in New Mexico).
Gallup … El Morro National Monument, Window Rock, Kit Carson Cave
Farmington … Aztec Ruins National Monument
Los Alamos (place where Atomic bomb was created) … Bandelier National Monument

North Central New Mexico
Santa Fe … 200 world-class art galleries
Taos Pueblo … the only living Native American community, still living in stacked adobe dwellings.
Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad

Southeast New Mexico
Alamogordo … New Mexico Museum of Space History in Alamogordo and White Sands National Monument (where the first Atomic bomb was detonated). White Sands has picnic areas.
Fort Sumner … Billy the Kid Museum, jail from which he once escaped, and courthouse where Billy the Kid was brought to trial.
Lincoln National Forest … Smokey Bear Historical Park (birthplace and resting place of Smokey the Bear) with camping and picnic areas.
Roswell … International UFO Museum and Research Center
Carlsbad … Carlsbad Caverns National Park

MRJ4393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:06 PM   #11

Lots of good info here! We haven't been through in many years and plan a trip ourselves this year. Just want to stay in an area that is cooler in the late summer. Albuquerque area?
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:15 PM   #12

Go to Southern NM

We live in Albuquerque. Lots of nice places in southern NM. Gila Cliff Dwellings, Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands, Rock Hounds State Park. Oliver Lee Memorial State Park is close to White Sands, and very nice. Weather can be unpredictable in NM in the spring. You'll have better luck down south. Wind is guaranteed if you stay more than a couple of days. We've had more snow than usual this year so the northern mountains may be less accessible.
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:22 PM   #13

We rode our motorcycles to White City one April (Easter Weekend), set up camp, got up the next morning and went to the caverns. Came back out and the wind was blowing. Got back to camp and the tent was flat. We rode to Carlsbad and we were riding sideways. Went to put gas in the tank and the wind sucked what I had in there out (no joke). Husband and I had to cover the gas tank holes to keep it from happening again and to keep sand out. We headed back South and went to Guadalupe National Park, no better there. When I asked the ranger if there was a chance the wind was going to stop, she said not till June. We headed down to El Paso and Las Cruses, no wind. Hand a grand old time camping on the Rio Grande.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:13 PM   #14

I live in NM. Last spring the wind blew so hard near Carrizozo that one night in bed in April, I thought the wind was going to roll us over, even with all our stab jacks set solid. Can't guarantee you'll be sorry,but it's more likely than not!
bondjamesbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:04 AM   #15

I lived in Las Cruces, NM for 7 years. I head south for a few weeks in late Feb/early March. I would love to go to NM for that time period but the wind is the reason I head to the Gulf Coast instead. Not fun riding in it.

US Army, 1979-1990 95BZ6
Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:52 AM   #16
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Sounds like some nice places to visit in NM. Is there a good time to go so you don't get the winds? Sounds like a trip I like to do next year also. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Sounds like some nice places to visit in NM. Is there a good time to go so you don't get the winds? Sounds like a trip I like to do next year also. Later RJD
IMO September/October are the best months to visit New Mexico. However the summer months are awesome too. Hot in the lower elevations but nice temps can be found in the mountains.

US Army, 1979-1990 95BZ6
Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:01 AM   #18
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Thanks for the tip Keystone. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:55 PM   #19

We love NM We like to stay in Santa Rosa on I40 and old Rte 66. You can drop South to Lincoln and Billy the Kid (also Ft Sumter or go North to Taos and Santa Fe. We are Yuppers from Mi and like to stear clear of big cities (Albuquerque)
newcowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #20

This was a surprise for us in Farmington, NM.

http://www.bolackmuseum.com/

There are two separate private museums owned by Tommy Bolack. Both are open to the public at no charge, but you have to call ahead to get a time to visit. The wildlife trophy museum is very well done, but the electromechanical museum is a blast. You won't believe the stuff that's there. Think Jay Leno's garage but industrial and technical stuff.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote