Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #21
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

I have been to Yellowstone several times and I found the best time is just after Labor Day. Fewer visitors, still warm, and most of the park facilities are still open.

You have to watch how late you go as many of the facilities close for the winter.

Fall is nice as the wild life come down into the meadows.

I was camping in the park durning 9/11/2001! The next day it seamed like I was the only visitor in the park! The only traffic I experienced then was the normal traffic of locals passing through the park.

While it was a sad time for the nation, it was a wonderful experience as the park was so peaceful... No planes overhead, no tour busses, and no crowds.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
elundquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:02 AM   #22
peaceparson

My wife was in Lincoln NE that day visiting our daughter. I called to warn her. She got the last flight out of Lincoln before the airport closed. It was also the last flight to land at O'Hare in Chicago, and she changed there to the last plane to leave O'Hare before that airport closed. Hers was the last plane to land in Louisville, KY. I was there to pick her up. It was like being sucked into an episode of the "Twilight Zone". The place was deserted, and we hustled through the baggage claim and out the door just as the guards locked it behind us. We lived on a hill above the Ohio River in southern IN at the time. I never realized how noisy the environment was between two airports (Louisville and Cinci) until there were no planes in the air! I pray we never see our world get that quiet again--at least not for the same reason!
peaceparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #23
Who Dares, Wins

On my short list of places to eventually visit.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:21 AM   #24

I was working in midtown Manhattan and my wife called shortly after the first plane struck. Trying to get information (little plane/big plane?) we were still on the phone when the second one hit and I knew immediately it was a terrorist attack. I hung up, grabbed my briefcase and headed for the train station. Got on the last train going to CT (left at 9:40am) before Grand Central shut down. It was her 40th birthday and instead of a big night out we stayed in and held each other close. The office was closed Wed, reopened Thurs with new building entry security that lasted about 6 months.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
I have to wonder how these 'visitors' counts are computed. We stayed just outside the park and entered 6 times, while had we stayed in the park it would have been 1. So we ourselves added six visits to the total.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

I have wondered the same thing. It occurred to me that MAYBE they count the visitors by the number of passes they sell? That would make it more accurate. But.... not really.... passes are sold by car, so how do they know how many are in a car? I would love for someone to find out how they do the count.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:01 PM   #26

NPS: Explore Nature » Social Science » Public Use Statistics Office

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #27

From my friends in the NPS this morning 11/27/15.

"Current temperatures according to the National Weather Service:
-6 in Mammoth and Gardiner, Montana; -16 at Tower Junction, -21 at Old Faithful and West Yellowstone, Montana."

Brrrr, man that is cold.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #28

We are currently planning a trip for next year to Yellowstone. What is a good time in the earlier part of the year. Is May still too cold? We would love to beat the summer rush but don't want to be there in sub-freezing temps either.

----------------------------
2015 Rockwood 8289WS
2009 Ford F-250
Appalachian Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:53 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Gal View Post
I have wondered the same thing. It occurred to me that MAYBE they count the visitors by the number of passes they sell? That would make it more accurate. But.... not really.... passes are sold by car, so how do they know how many are in a car? I would love for someone to find out how they do the count.
For record keeping it probably doesn't really matter as long as how they do it is done the same way every year.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachian Ed View Post
We are currently planning a trip for next year to Yellowstone. What is a good time in the earlier part of the year. Is May still too cold? We would love to beat the summer rush but don't want to be there in sub-freezing temps either.
In may the low average is between 25 and 32 for the month of may.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...okJXE6AOei3R-A

High average is between 45 and 55.

Your experience may vary wildly.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:13 PM   #31

If I were planning an early season trip to Yellowstone it would be after mid-May or the first two weeks of June. While Fishing Bridge Campground (full hookups) opens in early May and Mammoth Campground is open year round, many of the other campgrounds won’t open until mid-May.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 11-27-2015, 05:03 PM   #32

We are planning to go to Yosemite and Yellowstone (from SC). We are just anxious and want to leave as soon as is realistically possible. Not sure on order of visit. I see Yosemite averages 73/42 in May. Perhaps we will hit Yosemite in May making it early June for Yellowstone. I guess that means we will be in the crowds but hopefully early June will be a bit before "rush hour". Anyone experienced Yellowstone in June to say it's good or forget it even if it's a separate trip to go in September?

2015 Rockwood 8289WS
2009 Ford F-250
Old 11-27-2015, 10:01 PM   #33

We have been to Yellowstone several times in late May and early June. It can begin to get crowded, but not as much as later on. We have had nice weather to raining. It can be cool, especially at night, but we found it doable. Take clothing for different weather along with umbrellas. I would say you may see more babies the first couple weeks of June than May.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:32 PM   #34

We were there this summer over the last part of July and the first part of August. It is more crowded in the afternoon so plan your day accordingly. We had one major destination each morning, and more off the beaten path to dos in the afternoon and we survived just fine. Don't forget the Tetons since you will be so close. Stunning scenery and way less people.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:00 PM   #35

When we went in 08 it snowed June the 10, 11, 12 and some of the roads were stilled closed. Yellowstone weather changes a lot. We went back in 13 in late June and it was a little crowded but we had fun

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:43 AM   #36

Thanks for all the great feedback from experience. At this point we are looking to arrive in Yosemite memorial weekend, stay for a week, then head to Yellowstone. I am still working on the exact date for reservations but it looks like late the second week of June. So I hope they don't get snow the 10, 11, 12th this year. I hope we can get reservations! Any suggestions if we can't?

2015 Rockwood 8289WS
2009 Ford F-250
Old 12-06-2015, 09:17 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachian Ed View Post
Thanks for all the great feedback from experience. At this point we are looking to arrive in Yosemite memorial weekend, stay for a week, then head to Yellowstone. I am still working on the exact date for reservations but it looks like late the second week of June. So I hope they don't get snow the 10, 11, 12th this year. I hope we can get reservations! Any suggestions if we can't?
If you can’t get reservations in Yellowstone then your next best choices are Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park and Buffalo Crossing RV Park in West Yellowstone, Montana. On the north side, Rocky Mountain RV Park and Yellowstone RV Park in Gardiner, Montana and both very close to the north entrance. To the south there is Headwaters Lodge and Cabins at Flagg Ranch and my least favorite choice.

All five of the rv parks I mentioned are very close to entrances to Yellowstone NP. A word of caution about Buffalo Crossing RV Park, it is basically a gravel parking lot with full hookups behind the IMAX theater. The other four are what I would call “true” rv parks.

Since you’re planning such a long distance trip you really should include the spectacular Grand Teton National Park which is a mere 7 miles from Yellowstone’s south entrance. If you decide to spend a few days in GTNP then Colter Bay Village RV Park is my recommendation.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 12-06-2015, 04:42 PM   #38
Site Team

I have a feeling that all the sites inside Yosemite will already be reserved for that holiday weekend.
You'll probably have to stay outside the park.

Have even checked for availability that weekend?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:11 PM   #39

All of the parks seem to be filling up. The Grand Canyon here has reported a 25% increase in attendance this year, in spite of raising the entry fees. Even some of the state run campgrounds are booked a year in advance. Fortunately we have an abundance of National Forest that is open to camping an is usually adjacent to the parks.
High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:41 PM   #40
Rivnut

The RV industry reported a 25% increase in RV sales, now all those people are in the parks. Why do people have to follow where I am going????
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote