Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2021, 04:55 PM   #1

Northeast Ohio to Glacier and on to Seattle

Planning a summer trip across the northern US and I wanted to know about any roads that would be difficult to go up or down with my Forester 2861 pulling a toad (4 wheels down). I have seen two different routes through Montana (Rt 2 and I94/I90). It would seem the safer route is the interstate but that is where I am looking for advice.

Also western Washington state seems to have some roads with steep grades. Any advice on what to avoid or how to arrive safely would be appreciated.
JoePa77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePa77 View Post
Planning a summer trip across the northern US and I wanted to know about any roads that would be difficult to go up or down with my Forester 2861 pulling a toad (4 wheels down). I have seen two different routes through Montana (Rt 2 and I94/I90). It would seem the safer route is the interstate but that is where I am looking for advice.

Also western Washington state seems to have some roads with steep grades. Any advice on what to avoid or how to arrive safely would be appreciated.
Go North to the UP,cross the Big Mac and turn Left onto US 2 take it All the Way West! See the USA! Youroo!!
Old 05-02-2021, 06:40 PM   #3

I agree with Hwy. 2. Where do you want to end up when you get to Western WA? It's a big state, there might be more than one route when you get there.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:00 PM   #4

Sorry for not being clear.

After Glacier I was planning to go to Seattle next.

Jim
JoePa77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:41 PM   #5

You'll have some choices once in Central Washington. You can continue on #2 most directly to Seattle. You can jump over to Hwy. 20 and take the North Cascades that drops you onto I-5 north of Seattle. You can head down to Yakima and take Hwy 12 that comes out south of Seattle. Each road has it's attractions. All are good, but you are going over the Cascade Mountains so it's definitely not flat. I would not tow into/near Seattle if something there is on your destination list. Take your toad.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:58 PM   #6
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Go North to the UP,cross the Big Mac and turn Left onto US 2 take it All the Way West! See the USA! Youroo!!
You Bet!
We came home from Glacier on Rt 2 all the way to Cleveland. Bypass Detroit if you can though.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:13 PM   #7

Just be careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePa77 View Post
Sorry for not being clear.

After Glacier I was planning to go to Seattle next.

Jim
If you are planning on going into town to watch where the ferries load, be careful parking under the bridge. Our truck got broken in to a few years ago and when the police showed up they said it happens all the time. Gee, wish I had known that before. They cleaned us out. Horrible experience. Safe travels.
Pred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:48 PM   #8
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Keep on Rt 2 through west Glacier into Sandpoint and Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, down to Spokane then overland to Seattle.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 05-04-2021, 02:27 PM   #9

We did what OXcamper did and it worked out great. staying on 2 all the way to Spokane provides a no problem drive and incredible scenery...we also followed it from Spokane to Leavenworth which is NOT to be missed...before dropping down to I90 and making our way to the Seattle area.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred View Post
If you are planning on going into town to watch where the ferries load, be careful parking under the bridge. Our truck got broken in to a few years ago and when the police showed up they said it happens all the time. Gee, wish I had known that before. They cleaned us out. Horrible experience. Safe travels.
That "bridge" you parked under was probably the viaduct that got torn down. No more parking under it but I doubt any vehile parked in Seattle is safe now.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:47 PM   #11

Do you already have campsites

If haven’t already done so be sure to make reservations for Glacier. Many of the campgrounds are already booking up. KOA’s on both west and east gates are full as are the campgrounds inside. Depending on your rigs size and hookup preferences book early.
jshaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:15 PM   #12

I have my trip to Glacier all drawn out for September. We are leaving from mid Michigan and going north through the UP. First night out will be Lake Gogebic State Park. Second night we will be just into ND around Grand Forks, etc..
Two years ago we did Utah National Parks. We went south to 80 going west. After that I decided to do the return, north through the UP. It added a day to the trip but so worth it not having to drive on 80.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:25 PM   #13

google YLAZYR rv park in East glacier. Small rural one, amenaties, Wow what a view.
Spent three days.
boatcat AH6NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:45 PM   #14

Definitely use rt.2 less traffic and so much more scenery. KOA in West Glacier is outstanding. Take your time to enjoy the views. Safe travels
K5460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
You Bet!
We came home from Glacier on Rt 2 all the way to Cleveland. Bypass Detroit if you can though.
When did they make US 2 pass through "Cleveland and Detroit"? Youroo!!
Old 05-05-2021, 05:56 AM   #16

My vote is for #2 Highway also. When ever we go out west to Alberta, Canada we use #2 all the way to Shelby, Montana and then 30 miles up to Alberta. Used 94 once many years ago. Got caught in the madhouse traffic, stop and start, near Chicago and then on a toll highway. Never again.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:40 AM   #17

We are also going through Glacier but then south to Missoula. For a change of scenery, we are going back east along 12 and 94 as far as Fargo. Then 10, 34 and 200 across Minnesota and back to 2 and through Superior, WI. then back east through the UP on either 28 or 2.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:22 PM   #18

Unless you have a great desire to watch the ferry traffic in Seattle, I would not get off of any I-5 exits in downtown Seattle. The roads can be difficult to navigate and trying to pull a trailer around some of those streets and one-way roads could be frustrating and I'm a native. At best I-5 traffic through Seattle is a lot of stop and go but more stop. There are several lanes that disappear and other lanes that are "exit-only". If you don't have an actual stop in Seattle, look at I-405 as a good bypass for Seattle.

I'm not sure of your definition of "steep". We have a couple of hills I don't like to take my car up or down (and those are in downtown Seattle) but on the whole, every where you go--especially off the freeway has some sort of hill but I can only think of 2 that I wouldn't try with my trailer and there are ways around those. Most of our hills, outside of the metropolitan areas are 2 lanes and, depending on the area, including I-5, there are outside lanes for slower traffic going up. Down isn't an issue. Even getting out of my neighborhood I have to go up and down 2 hills.

Highway 2 is a great choice and don't forget to stop in Leavenworth for German sausage and the ambiance.

Have fun on your trip and be safe.
Letarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaw1 View Post
If haven’t already done so be sure to make reservations for Glacier. Many of the campgrounds are already booking up. KOA’s on both west and east gates are full as are the campgrounds inside. Depending on your rigs size and hookup preferences book early.
I hope you have your reservations. I got the last space left a few days ago at West Glacier RV Park for June. July and August are already full.

Good info as I am heading to Washington after Glacier National Park too. I plan to do the U.S. portion of the International Selkirk Loop first. Too bad the border is still closed though to the upper loop in B.C.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:27 PM   #20
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
When did they make US 2 pass through "Cleveland and Detroit"? Youroo!!
About 75 years ago at least!
Rt 2 is Lakeshore Blvd through Cleveland.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade

Tags
ohio