Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #1

Northwest from Houston mid-August

We planned to do a Texas Road Trip in the spring of this year, but numbness in hands & feet led me to neurosurgery in March; turns out I'd had a broken neck for 33 years & didn't know it! Well, I should be out of restraints soon and we're planning a summer trek to Colorado (Rocky Mtn NP) beginning mid-August. Stops at Possum Kingdom State Park near Mineral Wells, Palo Duro Canyon SP near Amarillo, then on to Colorado Springs and then to RMNP. Plan to be gone 3-4 weeks. Anyone have suggestions for us to explore along the way or whilst in Colorado? We may drift over to Ouray, etc., after RMNP. Hauling 34' V-Lite with 2012 F-150EB w/ max tow pkg. Wish we were on the road RIGHT NOW!!!
jrmartin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:43 PM   #2

We stayed outside of Durango last summer with day trips to Mesa Verde Np and Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP near Montrose. We traveled through Ouray to Montrose. Very pretty and really nice mountains. Put that ecoboost to work. Enjoy your trip. We live near Ft. Worth, so pretty much the same route except we didn't make Rocky Mountain NP. Maybe this year.
Goat Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:16 PM   #3

We just got back from Palo Duro Canyon SP, it was great. We hiked out to the Lighthouse. You might want to check out Caprock Canyon SP.
Have fun.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #4

Being from SE Texas, I don't RV in Texas in August.
You could go to CO then and on your way back to the Texas thing.
No smoking pot in CO! Have a great trip.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
Being from SE Texas, I don't RV in Texas in August.
And this is what decided me on putting 50A on the new trailer..
Now...they may have to float the new unit to me this week if the rain doesn't stop.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:38 PM   #6

If you are stopping in Colorado Springs for a day or two, a drive and lunch in Garden of the Gods is a must! I don't know what it is about the place, but even when surrendered by people; I am at peace. Manitou Springs is a really cool place to visit and go for a ride on the cog railroad up to the top of Pikes Peak. If you have breathing problems, they have EMT's at the top with oxygen. I am as far South in Texas as you can get and wish I could take a nice summer trip north. Hope you don't get flooded out before you go.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:08 PM   #7

We spent the summer camping around Colorado last year. Since you are going to RMNP, you might look at Horsetooth Reservoir near Ft. Collins. There's also Golden Gate State Park near Golden, CO. And we stayed several nights at the Lost Burro campground near Cripple Creek. There's an operational open pit gold mine in Victor worth making a day trip. Don't forget the Great Sand Dunes NP. And there is nearby Lathrop State Park.
Enjoy your trip.
KD5OUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #8

Northwest from Houston to Colorado - 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
And this is what decided me on putting 50A on the new trailer..
Now...they may have to float the new unit to me this week if the rain doesn't stop.
I'm in Brazoria County, too! Lake Jackson, in fact! Wet, ain't it? I know about RV-ing in Texas in August! I'd sworn off it but I weakened being cooped up this spring. We'll just buy lots of ice - Buc-ee's here we come!!
jrmartin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmartin67 View Post
I'm in Brazoria County, too! Lake Jackson, in fact! Wet, ain't it? I know about RV-ing in Texas in August! I'd sworn off it but I weakened being cooped up this spring. We'll just buy lots of ice - Buc-ee's here we come!!
I hear you. In Jones Creek here, lol.