Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2021, 02:25 PM   #21

South Dakota Air and Space Museum at Ellsworth Air Base between Underwood and Rapid City. Free admission.
https://www.sdairandspacemuseum.com/plan-a-visit
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 05:48 PM   #22

need to add to mntraveler's excellent list. Tony Packo's in Toledo. Remember MASH and Klinger? Also, if you've never been to Chicago, you could spend a week there seeing the sites!
glfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 06:56 PM   #23

For a return trip you might loop north of Belle Fourche, SD to the Medora, ND area, then Theodore Roosevelt National Park, Lewis & Clark sites north of Bismarck, ND,
are impressive. If you loop south, some interesting attractions in Sandhills of Nebraska, notably Chadron. Outstanding ranch and native American country. Keep your fuel tank full for many of these areas.
Foothills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 08:55 PM   #24

If you go to Madison on your way they have a lovely county park it was cheap and on the water had a dump and water fill. 25 sites only Dane County was the name IN Madison so you are driving on side streets. We stayed one night but man we wished we were there for at least a week!! Very residential.
dschust1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 11:57 PM   #25

The Wall.... A MUST DO! we.drove out there but did not camp. I plan 9m going back just to camp on the wall.
RV4me21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 01:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
If you want to see things along the way, I suggest the Mackinac Bridge and Mackinac Island. Worth a one day stop. A big plus to this stop is that you avoid going through Chicago by driving through the upper peninsula of Michigan.
This is an outstanding suggestion and would relieve the brain-numbing flatness of the Indiana-Illinois prairie with some beautiful scenery and an exciting trip across the Mackinac Bridge. It might add a few days to your journey but is well worth it. Just be ready for the possibility of a little occasional snow and chilly temperatures for being so far north scattered in with beautiful, warm, pleasant days.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 01:42 PM   #27
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchilero53 View Post
This is an outstanding suggestion and would relieve the brain-numbing flatness of the Indiana-Illinois prairie with some beautiful scenery and an exciting trip across the Mackinac Bridge. It might add a few days to your journey but is well worth it. Just be ready for the possibility of a little occasional snow and chilly temperatures for being so far north scattered in with beautiful, warm, pleasant days.

I took a detour through the Michigan upper peninsula and over the Mackinac Bridge last summer as I journeyed home from a trip out west. I just passed through and did not stop but I found the bridge to be underwhelming and the drive through southern MI to unbelievably boring. The upper peninsula was nice but once I crossed that bridge it was a fight just to stay awake. If you go this route, bring lots of caffeine.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 03:55 PM   #28

Heh, don't knock Mi and the bridge! At the time of completion, it was the longest suspension bridge in the world! It had not only one but two vehicles blown off it due to high winds! South of the bridge you have a very famous fort, Fort Michimackenaw and a great shopping experience at Hudson Bay Traders. Going further south you can stop at Frankenmouth, the all year round Christmas village! Finally, in the Detroit area you must stop in at the Henry Ford museum and Village which rivals the Smithsonian in depth!
glfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:41 PM   #29
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by glfillion View Post
Heh, don't knock Mi and the bridge! At the time of completion, it was the longest suspension bridge in the world! It had not only one but two vehicles blown off it due to high winds! South of the bridge you have a very famous fort, Fort Michimackenaw and a great shopping experience at Hudson Bay Traders. Going further south you can stop at Frankenmouth, the all year round Christmas village! Finally, in the Detroit area you must stop in at the Henry Ford museum and Village which rivals the Smithsonian in depth!

That was just my experience. If you like it, more power to you.

Old 12-17-2021, 11:02 AM   #30

We stayed at Wheels West Campground outside of Custer last October and were happy with the experience. It is outside the entrance to Custer State Park and about 4 miles from the town of Custer. You won't have any problem finding things to do in the area regardless of your interests.
Old 12-20-2021, 07:50 PM   #31

When you get to the Black Hills, on the north edge in the town of Sturgis (where the annual international motorcycle rally is held in August) visit the motorcycle museum if you like motorcycles.

Tons of stuff to see in the Black Hills...including Crazy Horse being carved out of a mountain and Mt. Rushmore faces.

Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 08:28 PM   #32

Great Choice: Badlands PLUS Black Hills

What a great choice! This is our favorite area to visit. We try to go every few years, but for us it is only 750 miles to Custer.

Others have given great suggestions but no one has mentioned our favorite restaurant: The Alpine Inn in Hill City. It's in an old Victorian house and operated by a lady from Germany or Austria, if I remember correctly. (Google it.)

We enjoy going for lunch but dinners are great, too. The evening menu is simple: small or large steak!

Our preference is to stay in Custer. It's centrally located. Go south to see wide valleys. Go north to see forests and spires.

Our must-do list: drive through the Badlands, stop at Wall Drug (good place for lunch), drive the Wildlife Loop in Custer State park ($15(?) vehicle fee for a week), visit Mt. Rushmore (hefty ($10???) parking fee, good for one year), eat at the Alpine Inn.

I predict that you'll easily be able to keep busy!

Oh, if you're over 55(?), and don't have one be sure to get the national parks pass, whose current name escapes me. That pays your fee to drive through the Badlands, gives 50% off at many federal campsites, etc. Don't leave home without it.

If interested, email me at kawpics@ls4dotus and I'll send you a few photos to whet your appetite!
Keith W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 08:29 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetken1 View Post
Hello all, We will be heading to The Badlands area end of May. Any suggestions for sites to see along the way and back? Where should we be staying in The Badlands area and what should we NOT miss? Class B+ without a toad.
Ken & Celia
Since you are traveling half way across the country, you might want to make a loop ... head about 4 hours north from the Rushmore area and see Theodore Roosevelt National Park and the Enchanted Highway, both off of I94. You can head east on I94 if you are heading home from there.
NancyLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 10:33 PM   #34

Been in Hill City many times ... didn't know about food at the Alpine Inn. My favorite food is large steak - will check it out next time there. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:41 PM   #35

Lots of great info here that I have made notes of. My big tip shared from experience, if traveling on I-80 westbound, is be very rigid on your speed crossing from Illinois into Iowa. The Iowa town of Le Claire has a shameless speedtrap camera on the bridge that sends a speeding ticket to your registration address starting at 1 mph over posted. FWIR, posted speed goes from 75 in Illinois to a barely noticeable 65 sign at the bridge. After I recieved my welcome to Le Claire ticket via mail, I googled them and discovered their little camera has netted millions to their city budget. Good for them! They didn't even have to buy the camera or deal with mailing the violations, it's all done via contract out of New Hampshire. Brilliant small town move, but a little sneaky way to do it.
I paid my "fine" because I received an excellent photo of my truck in action...along with some other stuff about a radar showing 5 mph over posted....
Enjoy your travels!
metalsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 11:15 PM   #36

On speed traps ....... this article has some good info.

https://www.frommers.com/tips/car-bu...can-speed-trap

And you weren't the only one who contributed in Le Claire Iowa.... check this out:
https://qctimes.com/news/local/slow-...15fd93f02.html
Old 12-21-2021, 08:15 AM   #37

The Badlands Suggestions68

I hope this is reaching all who have sent great suggestions. Last time I was in the Badlands was in 1969, in a pup tent, on the road for a few months. Lived through all the conditions Mother Nature could bring. Even a 2’ show dump in Yellowstone. It’s a lot easier now in our “ready for everything” Class B+. Great reminder of the sharks out there using us for bait (e tickets). No wonder our great country is in trouble when the people we pay are hunting us ! But in spite of it all, can’t wait. Keep the suggestions coming. Maybe going in June would be better ? Still “out of season” ?? Ken
Hetken1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 08:55 AM   #38
Insert witty title here

I have zero sympathy for anyone who violates the law and gets in trouble. Speed limit signs are not a suggestion, they inform you of the maximum speed you are allowed to travel on a particular stretch of road. If the police catch you for ignoring these signs, you deserve whatever punishment you get.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:10 AM   #39

Ignoring traffic and speed limits is most importantly”dumb” not just “against the law”. I agree ! The average person walks at about 3mph, so getting an ticket for going even 1mph over the limit is also “dumb”. I would like to see anyone, especially driving a rig, maintain “exact” speed for a mile. I believe e tickets have a place in controlling bad drivers but is a lazy, sneaky way of milking the public. When cameras were set up on our main street here in Yonkers NY the yellow light went from 8 seconds to 3. Um wonder why
Hetken1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:29 AM   #40
CathMo

You could head NW of Badlands and see Theodore Roosevelt NP and Medora, ND. Check and see if the Medora Musical is playing (think it starts in June). Kinda fun TR tribute in an outdoor amphitheater.
clandsie is offline   Reply With Quote