Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2021, 09:01 PM   #1

Oak Harbor, WA to Manzanita, OR

In a few weeks I will be traveling from Deception Pass state park at Oak Harbor Washington to Nehalem Bay state park at Manzanita Oregon.
What would be the best route to tow a travel trailer between the two?
Is I-405 better than I-5?
Mapquest shows Rte. 20 to 101 as an alternative, but it appears to involve a couple of ferries. Is this a viable route?
I know that some of you live in the area, so I'm hoping for some suggestions from real world experience.

Edit: Ok, it appears to be one ferry, the other crossings are bridges.

Thanks!
Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:27 PM   #2

I live North of Seattle and when traveling South prefer to bypass Seattle via I-405.

Traffic can be heavy on 405 but there are more lanes most of the way. The bottleneck through downtown Seattle can back traffic up and make one mad enough to kick their dog.

Using Waze yields great traffic info so you can make final choice before passing I-5/I-405 split south of Everett.

If you do choose to use I-5 through Seattle, while there is really no good time, midday is at least better. Also watch signs as you cross bridge and approach downtown. Left lanes are through lanes.

The alternate route only has one ferry but is not just a long way around, the ferry Coupville to Port Townsend, is EXPENSIVE for RV's. If I recall correctly my truck and 25' trailer is around $100 and fare is based on total length. If you are looking for a slow, scenic route, then perhaps it would be worth considering.

Last item, the last Rest Area just south of Everett is the last one until South of Olympia. If you like to sip coffee as you drive, like I do, that stretch can get REAL Long. [emoji15]

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:32 PM   #3

Thanks a lot Mike. Exactly the kind of information I was looking for.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:16 PM   #4

Where are you planning to cross over to the coast? Google maps suggests getting off at Longview/Kelso, crossing the Columbia into Oregon at Rainier, and then taking Hwy 30 to pick up 101 at Astoria.

That is definitely the most direct route, but in my experience not the most RV-friendly. You start out with a 1/2 mile two-lane bridge that climbs from more or less sea level to 200 feet of river clearance, and back down to ~50 feet. At the bottom of the bridge you make a hard right onto the Rainier Hill - a 500 foot climb in 2 miles at a 6% grade. The good news is that there is a passing lane. The bad news is that the lanes are super narrow because the center Jersey barrier divider was added to the existing highway after *decades* of fatal head-on collisions on the hill.

If you *do* choose to go that way, and it's a clear day, make sure that you stop at one of the two viewpoints on the hill. I prefer the view from the lower one, but both are nice on a pretty day. You will see the Columbia River, the Lewis & Clark bridge you just crossed, the Longview industrial area and port, and if you are lucky, Mt St Helens in the distance.

Anyway, once you crest the Rainier Hill, you will have 4 miles of level two-lane before you get to Lost Creek Hill. This will be an additional 250 feet of climb in just over a mile at a 5% grade. After that, you have 5 miles of 55mph downhill into Clatskanie. Well, almost 5 miles. About 1/4 mile before the bottom of the hill, the speed limit drops to 45mph. 1/4 mile later, it drops to 30mph, and stays there all the way through town. Do *not* make the mistake of thinking they are kidding about that. My family has lived in Clatskanie since the mid-60s, and they *love* to see out of state plates barreling down that hill....

After Clatskanie, it flattens out for a while, & you will have about 12 miles of flat two-lane. At Wauna you will start another climb - this time 625 feet in 2 miles. The highway is flat and straight leading up to it, but you don't want to take a run at it until you are sure that there are no state patrol cars waiting on the on-ramp at the bottom of the hill.

Again, if you go this way, make a stop at the top of this hill at Bradley State Park. There is a viewpoint on a cliff above the Columbia River where you can look across to Cathlamet, WA. Also, note that if you have gotten this far and change your mind, there is a small ferry that runs between Westport (that you passed 5 miles ago) and Cathlamet on the Washington side.

Once you clear this hill though, it's just 30 miles or so of two-lane into Astoria. It's pretty twisty on the Astoria end, so pay attention to the recommended speed limits.

After Astoria, it's more or less a straight shot down 101 to Manzanita/Nehalem/Seaside/Cannon Beach, etc. If you can (and again, if it's a nice day), try to make a stop at the Neakahnie viewpoint at the south end of Oswald West state park. It lets you look south along the ocean beaches from about 500 feet above the water. The parking area can get crowded at times, so there may not be space for your truck and trailer. I think they have finally blocked northbound vehicles from turning left into there, so if you miss it coming south it's kind of a pain to get to.

So, the (lesser known) alternative to that is to not cross into Oregon at Longview. State Highway 4 (Ocean Beach Highway) follows the north bank of the Columbia River out of Longview to the west, and to my eye is much more scenic. There is only one climb of any significance , over KM mountain, about 35 miles west of Longview. Hang a left at Naselle onto hwy 401, and follow the signs for Astoria, and the route will take you over the Astoria-Megler bridge at the mouth of the Columbia, and dump you on US30 right where it meets up with 101. As a bonus, there is a rest area on the Washington side just before you turn on to the bridge. It has a little bit of history, and a cool name - "Dismal Nitch". Lewis and Clark must have been struggling for place names as they neared the end of thier journey!

Anyway, I am pretty familiar with southwest Washington and NW Oregon, feel free to reach out if you want any local info.

Good luck!

edit: if you buy me a beer, I'll even teach you how to pronounce all of those places, and the others you will pass through on the way....Looking at YOU, Skamakowa!!! (Skuh-MOCK-uh-way)

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:41 PM   #5

Yes, as TitanMike put it, the stretch from the rest stop around milepost 188 to past Olympia is a long one. I've made that trip before many times and have found several spots to stop between those points on I-5 southbound-
Milepost 188 is the Silver lake rest stop
Exit 142b is a good stopping point with a WalMart just west of the freeway
Exit 111 has a Cabelas but it's a mile or so off of the freeway and has parking for trailers.
Best time to travel southbound on I-5 or I-405, any time earlier than 5am or during lunch hours with Fridays being the worst day to travel.
Have a good trip.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:30 PM   #6

Though there is virtually no reasonable way around it once you are on 101, do not think you will get through Seaside quickly. It is one of, if not the, busiest coastal cities in Oregon and the traffic can be very, very slow! It has taken us as much as 45 minutes at times to travel that relatively short distance with the backup starting well before Gearhart and traffic moving at a walking pace through the city itself. No accident nor police presence, just lots of vehicles and people.
Wilgarison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:56 PM   #7

Thanks for the input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
Anyway, I am pretty familiar with southwest Washington and NW Oregon, feel free to reach out if you want any local info.

Good luck!

edit: if you buy me a beer, I'll even teach you how to pronounce all of those places, and the others you will pass through on the way....Looking at YOU, Skamakowa!!! (Skuh-MOCK-uh-way)
Wow! Thanks for all the detailed info. I’m going to have to review your post with a map and see where I am!
Old 05-03-2021, 06:01 PM   #8

Thanks guys. A lot to consider.
I have a reservation at Nehalem Bay for the same night that I leave Deception Pass, so I’ll need to make the trip in one day.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:55 PM   #9

Deception Pass

Did you enjoy the park at Deception Pass? My last trip up to Whidbey we visited the cliffs at the top of Mt. Erie, OMG the views looking south were out of this world. The beaches at Deception Pass park have always been a mandatory visit for every trip.
RedhawkCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:33 PM   #10

I agree with TitanMike. Using I-405 as a bypass for Seattle is a much better option. Seattle traffic can be a nightmare and it is tricky going through downtown Seattle with all the thru lanes on I-5 and the lanes that disappear.

There's also a Bass Pro off of Exit 129, on the east side of I-5 that, I believe has trailer parking.

Have fun on your trip. It sounds great.
Letarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:11 PM   #11

Deception Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedhawkCC View Post
Did you enjoy the park at Deception Pass? My last trip up to Whidbey we visited the cliffs at the top of Mt. Erie, OMG the views looking south were out of this world. The beaches at Deception Pass park have always been a mandatory visit for every trip.
Haven’t been yet. I’m making my way out there now. Should arrive May 21st. Looks like a great place. My daughter in Seattle has been there and recommended it. In fact, she reserved a neighboring campsite for the weekend.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:33 AM   #12

Update: Last Monday I left Deception Pass and took I-405 around Seattle and got on 101 at Astoria, and made my way down to Nehalem Bay. It was a good trip. We passed around Seattle about noon or so. There was a lot of traffic, but no issues at all.
My wife enjoyed 101 so much that we left Nehalem Bay Tuesday and continued down 101 to Newport before heading back east.
Thanks to you folks for the tips and suggestions.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:46 AM   #13

Deception Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedhawkCC View Post
We had a great time there. My daughter had made ferry reservations for us to go to Orcas Island on Saturday, and it was spectacular. We went to Moran state park and up to the top of Mt. Constitution. Unbelievable views from there. We hiked the shoreline trail on Sunday from the campground around to the bridge and beach. We enjoyed some great views there too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DD178584-94A0-4B48-9506-2407AEAA3F0C.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	255869  
Old 06-01-2021, 03:54 PM   #14

I'm so happy you had a great trip. I've lived here most of my life, born and raised in Seattle. Although, many places have wonderful views, I've always been proud of the northwest and our mountains and water.

Hopefully, you'll have the opportunity to visit again but a different part of the northwest.

Safe travels.
Letarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:24 PM   #15

Ferry crossing in WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

the ferry Coupville to Port Townsend, is EXPENSIVE for RV's. [emoji15]
Even with my tiny teardrop trailer, I had to pay $80 one-way for a ferry crossing of the sound. (The opposite way the clerk winked at the length and charged $29.) I have not taken my FR trailer on the ferries. 101 on the peninsula is a pleasant drive.

Drivers in Tacoma can be aggressive at times and the I-5 lanes are narrow. I found myself taking things very slowly each time.

I hate going through Portland while towing. Narrow lanes, bridges, many merges and diverges plus traffic even worse than Seattle. 205 is better but a bit longer.
2020 Nissan Armada
gerald98053 is offline   Reply With Quote