Old 02-20-2020, 04:51 PM   #1

Ogden Utah to Jackson Hole Route

Hi my friends!
Adding Jackson Hole as a 3 night stop over then Grand Tetons and on to Yellowstone National Park this summer.

So I'm an experienced driver in my Georgetown motorhome and toad with over 70,000 miles under my belt and no accidents. (knock on wood)
We are not in a rush so the scenic drive is what we are looking for.

My question to all who are from the area or have traveled these routes I need your opinion on the best route you think we should take to Jackson Hole from the Ogden Utah area.
Oh by the way we are staying at The Virginian RV Resort in Jackson Hole.
Expensive but a great location.

Route 1

Route 2

Route 3

I looked at Route 1 which seems to be the best route for an enjoyable ride to Jackson Hole.

I looked at route 2 on Google Map and seems OK but looks like a lot of hills and curve roads etc.

Route 3 - I have driven this route (2012) and even took the short cut over the Grand Tetons pass. 10% grade. Not Again thank you and I know you can go south around the mountain on this route to Jackson but more miles.

Looking forward to your reply's and opinions.

Thank you.
Iggy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-02-20 143229.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	318.1 KB
ID:	223706  

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:25 PM   #2

A lot depends on how big of a day you want to make of it. So lets just drop Rte.#2 as that is pure windy narrow road pretty much all the way through.
Route1 is not too bad. I came down that way in 2018 with my 5th wheel.
As for Route3 it's easy running up I-15 to Idaho Falls but stay on 26 all the way to Alpine Junction and then 89 on up to Jackson. Yep I've been across the shortcut over Teton Pass but never in an RV.

Throw in route#4 taking 89 all the way up through Logan Ut. to Montpelier is plenty windy but a nice drive.

Old 02-20-2020, 05:39 PM   #3

Lived there in the late 70’s. I doubt it has changed a lot.

The drive from Ogden towards Pocatello is all interstate. #2. The trucks drove the road to Soda Springs where I lived. 30 .i think. We then headed north towards gray lakes. Whooping crane refuge. The final road thru the mountains only was gravel but good. 34 as I remember. No traffic. Nada.

Lava is interesting.

That is the way the locals would go. 34 is closed near star valley often due to snow. In winter We then took 30 to 89. From Soda. All valley roads.

89 is a nice ride. Kind of main drag. Good road.

All routes are a little difficult.

I did not have an rv then. Also 40 years ago.

I think the 80 to 89 would be The most rv friendly!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:57 PM   #4
rbq

If you take #3 be sure & gear down after going over the summit. I remember going up from Jackson on that route & it was steep. Same thing if you chose to go up Logan canyon to Bear Lake.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:02 PM   #5

Plan B Route

Plan B route
Just spoke with my contact in Jackson Hole and she said this is the best route to take.
Eliminates Salt lake City all together and a nice drive.

What do you think ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-02-20 155639.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	319.5 KB
ID:	223711  

Old 02-20-2020, 08:55 PM   #6

Plan "B". If you can, hit the Gun Barrel restaurant one night for dinner. Genny Lake Lodge restaurant may be disappointing. The afternoon shoot out downtown is sometimes fun for pictures. Don't know if still shooting someone off the hotel balcony though. Must saddle up one time in the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar for one drink. Might like the Jackson Lake Lodge for dining in the mural room. I think it's better to discover the wonderful things within Grand Teton and Yellowstone NP's as they become apparent. There are a lot of things to see. Have a great trip.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:33 PM   #7

Bubbles thanks for the suggestions and information.
Looks like Plan B is a GO and looking at staying overnight in Evanston WY at the Phillips RV Park I-80 and Route 89.

Old 02-21-2020, 02:42 PM   #8

Bar J Wranklers and dinner

Outside Jackson is a big barn that they serve a chuck wagon dinner in and you are entertained by the Bar J Wranglers. Great country band with a lot of humor. It is at the Bar J Ranch. Dinner a bit pricey but it includes the show that is worth the whole amount.

Wranklers = Wranglers
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2000i Generator, 200 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:42 PM   #9

I'll be heading to Jackson Hole from SLC in June. What's wrong with I-15 to 89 into Jackson Hole?
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
I'll be heading to Jackson Hole from SLC in June. What's wrong with I-15 to 89 into Jackson Hole?

Nothing wrong with it a slong as go south around the mountain and DON'T take the Tetons Pass road. 10% grade up and down and peak is 10,000 ft.

We have never traveled the new route just doing it for a change. Looks like a nice slow road and enjoy the scenery.
Last 2 times we went all the way up I-15 and went to West Yellowstone first.
This year we are planned 3 night in Jackson Hole (June 28-30) then north into The Tetons NP and north into the south entrance of Yellowstone NP then out the west entrance to The Grizzle RV Resort in West Yellowstone for a week.(Jul 1 -7)
Maybe we can catch you there.?

Old 02-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #11

I was forced over the mountain 10% grade route because of wildfires a few years back. It is no joke and I did not have the proper setup TV wise for that. I was a pretty drive however.

2018 Days Camped - 15
2019 Days Camped - 34
2020 Days Camped - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Nothing wrong with it a slong as go south around the mountain and DON'T take the Tetons Pass road. 10% grade up and down and peak is 10,000 ft.

We have never traveled the new route just doing it for a change. Looks like a nice slow road and enjoy the scenery.
Last 2 times we went all the way up I-15 and went to West Yellowstone first.
This year we are planned 3 night in Jackson Hole (June 28-30) then north into The Tetons NP and north into the south entrance of Yellowstone NP then out the west entrance to The Grizzle RV Resort in West Yellowstone for a week.(Jul 1 -7)
Maybe we can catch you there.?
So does that mean stay on 89? Sorry I'm not very familiar with the area. We'll be in Moran for a couple days 2 weeks before you're there.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:28 PM   #13

Quote:
So does that mean stay on 89? Sorry I'm not very familiar with the area. We'll be in Moran for a couple days 2 weeks before you're there.
So if you are in Salt Lake City yes I would get to 89 east of SLC and head north to Jackson Hole.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
So if you are in Salt Lake City yes I would get to 89 east of SLC and head north to Jackson Hole.
Ok, my bad, I was talking about US-89 North of SLC through Logan, not WY-89. Didn't realize there were 2 89's. Any coments on that route?
Old 02-27-2020, 09:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Ok, my bad, I was talking about US-89 North of SLC through Logan, not WY-89. Didn't realize there were 2 89's. Any coments on that route?
Yes, US-89. Pick it up around Brigham City US-91 exit that intersects with US-89.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Yes, US-89. Pick it up around Brigham City US-91 exit that runs into US-89.
Are you familiar with that route? I'm trying to get info on that route, any thoughts, concerns, comments? All 89 discussion so far has been about WY-89.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Are you familiar with that route? I'm trying to get info on that route, any thoughts, concerns, comments? All 89 discussion so far has been about WY-89.
As soon as you cross out of Idaho on US-89 it will be the same hwy as Iggy will be on. Wyo 89 turns into US-89 on the Idaho border (or at least close to it). US-89 would be the hwy everyone in Logan would take to the Tetons (Jackson Hole). It's a US hwy, what's the big deal? It'll take you directly to your Moran destination and Jackson (Tetons) beyond.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:40 AM   #18

Quote:
As soon as you cross out of Idaho on US-89 it will be the same hwy as Iggy will be on. Wyo 89 turns into US-89 on the Idaho border (or at least close to it). US-89 would be the hwy everyone in Logan would take to the Tetons (Jackson Hole). It's a US hwy, what's the big deal? It'll take you directly to your Moran destination and Jackson (Tetons) beyond.
There's no big deal. I'm not familiar with the area, just trying to get any info on it. I've been on a few US Hwys that I'd rather avoid if possible, example US-212 out of Northeast Yellowstone. There's over 100 miles on US-89 before WY-89 merges with it. Just askin', if that's a big deal then don't answer.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Plan "B". If you can, hit the Gun Barrel restaurant one night for dinner. Genny Lake Lodge restaurant may be disappointing. The afternoon shoot out downtown is sometimes fun for pictures. Don't know if still shooting someone off the hotel balcony though. Must saddle up one time in the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar for one drink. Might like the Jackson Lake Lodge for dining in the mural room. I think it's better to discover the wonderful things within Grand Teton and Yellowstone NP's as they become apparent. There are a lot of things to see. Have a great trip.
Thanks Bubbles.
I have reservations for 3 nights at The Virginian RV Park which I believe is next door to the Gun Barrel restaurant.
Nice.

Looking forward to the trip!

Tags
jacks, utah