Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2020, 05:55 PM   #1

Old Route 66 from Ash Fork to Kingman, AZ

Anyone traveled this road and was it decent? My dislike for Interstates has me looking for alternate routes. Thanks.
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:04 PM   #2
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

We have a friend who lived in Ash Fork and we visited. Great area, but know there are not too many convenience/necessity stops available. Plan wisely, and you'll be OK.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:07 PM   #3

Many times!! It actually comes back into I-40 a few miles outside of Ash Fork. We stop at Grand Canyon Caverns for their 50s diner and have stayed at their RV park several times. There is also an ice cream shop near Kingman we stop at, but can't recall the name now.
Road is actually in much better shape than I-40.
Enjoy!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:30 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies! I'm staying in Williams right now and will leave next week. I-40 is a mess....seems fine for a while, then you get tossed into the pinball machine! Traveled this part of the country a bit but never took that section of 66. Saw the RV park, sounds....interesting?
Old 09-19-2020, 06:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGal3 View Post
Thanks for the replies! I'm staying in Williams right now and will leave next week. I-40 is a mess....seems fine for a while, then you get tossed into the pinball machine! Traveled this part of the country a bit but never took that section of 66. Saw the RV park, sounds....interesting?
LOL!! The RV park at Grand Canyon Caverns is definitely minimal. One section has full hookups and they have even hosted Good Sam Rallies there. An interesting place that tried to stay true to the Route 66 history.
We always enjoy it there. The tour down into the caverns is fun and you can take the ghost version. You can even stay down in the caverns overnight in a 'hotel room'. We haven't done that one, didn't want to share with the ghost......

Oh, and we LOVE Williams! We try to stay there at least a week each year. Nice night life for us old farts. Several restaurants with patios and entertainment, at least before covid. And of course close to the Grand Canyon and THE TRAIN!
Old 09-20-2020, 02:52 PM   #6

Last Sept we traveled Rte 66 West from Kingman to Needles in our 25' Isata 3 Motorhome. Burma Shave signs along the flat highway kept us amused, FANTASTIC scenery over the mountains and found a boondocking place near the summit (even saw a UFO that night). Speed Limit was 25 over the mountain and we found it hard to maintain more than 20MPH as the road is very narrow and twisting but well worth the ride: may be restricted if pulling a trailer. Oatman AZ was lovely semi-restored ghost town: wild burros in the streets and annual bed races. Well worth the detour off the Interstate.
The2002Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:52 PM   #7

From Peach Springs you can drive down to the Colorado River - fun day trip. Although there's camping there (with tribal permit), I wouldn't try to tow anything to there. Might be OK these days but, if interested, locals would know.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:05 PM   #8

Peach Springs is a fun stop in itself, a Rt 66 travel back in time town.
Glampen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:59 PM   #9

Thanks everyone, good info. Look forward to visiting Peach Springs.....yes, I'll get the t-shirt! Went to Oatman many, many years ago (1980's) - this trip will head from Kingman to Laughlin, then up to Las Vegas (95). Like that route better than 93. I'll have SiriusXM on Golden Oldies
Old 09-20-2020, 08:43 PM   #10

Oh, and we LOVE Williams! We try to stay there at least a week each year. Nice night life for us old farts. Several restaurants with patios and entertainment, at least before covid. And of course close to the Grand Canyon and THE TRAIN!
NMWildcat........
Which campground in Williams. We might be heading that way in January.

Ken and Denise new SOB Imagine2019 2850mk 2017 Ram 2500 ctd.
previous 2015 shamrock23s,2015 Ram Eco diesel
previous 1997 coleman highlander pup,1994 35rb Vectra,diesel,2007 Fleetwood arcadia pup.2005 ram
kennyairport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyairport View Post
NMWildcat........
Which campground in Williams. We might be heading that way in January.
We always stay at The Grand Canyon Railway RV Park. It's well maintained and is in town, so we can walk or ride our bikes to most of the bars/restaurants, and shops.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:51 PM   #12

I was there yesterday

I'm currently boondocking at Welch Road near Ash Fork. I drove old Rt 66 west to Seligman yesterday. It's in excellent shape, much better than I-40, which is nothing but potholes; no problem cruising along at the 55mph speed limit.

Ash Fork is on its own short stretch. The long stretch to Kingman exits I-40 about 3 miles west of Ash Fork.

Another camper here told me that the Hualapai Nation has the road blocked each side of Peach Springs to limit the virus. They may let you through with a temperature check, or they may deny passage through the reservation. You would do well to call them first.

2018 Coachmen Viking 21RD
2012 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Full-timing since October 2017
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntaylor View Post
I'm currently boondocking at Welch Road near Ash Fork. I drove old Rt 66 west to Seligman yesterday. It's in excellent shape, much better than I-40, which is nothing but potholes; no problem cruising along at the 55mph speed limit.

Ash Fork is on its own short stretch. The long stretch to Kingman exits I-40 about 3 miles west of Ash Fork.

Another camper here told me that the Hualapai Nation has the road blocked each side of Peach Springs to limit the virus. They may let you through with a temperature check, or they may deny passage through the reservation. You would do well to call them first.
Thank you for that info, I'll be sure to check the latest.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:08 AM   #14

Made the trip, enjoyable drive, very little traffic until 15-20 miles out of Kingman. No road blocks except one on a side road in the Rez (19?) but that didn't affect Route 66. Spent one night at the Caverns RV park and visited their gift shop. Weather was perfect (no wind!). Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. This is a great forum!
Old 09-28-2020, 10:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGal3 View Post
Made the trip, enjoyable drive, very little traffic until 15-20 miles out of Kingman. No road blocks except one on a side road in the Rez (19?) but that didn't affect Route 66. Spent one night at the Caverns RV park and visited their gift shop. Weather was perfect (no wind!). Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. This is a great forum!
Thanks for letting us know. Glad you enjoyed it! It is a nice little break from the interstate