Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2018, 08:30 PM   #1

Oregon Coast Can't Miss?

We're heading out for two weeks in June for our first trip along the Oregon Coast. Figured we would do the northern half this time around. Our itinerary takes us from Spokane --> Hood River --> Yachats --> Lincoln City --> Cannon Beach --> then back home. Any strong recommendations for things we shouldn't miss along the way? We'll be staying three nights at each stop with the exception of Hood River where we'll only be two nights. Appreciate any insights from those of you who have spent time along the coast!
6.0 Gasser 4:10

Smiletwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:59 PM   #2

a few years ago when out there for my grandmas funeral I did one of my must sees that she had wanted to take me to. The spruce goose
Don’t forget mo’s restraint in Lincoln city. If you have pets they have an awesome shop for them I believe it’s something like paws on the beach
Bridgeside by bridge of the gods is a good spot to eat too
I love multnomah falls also
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:08 PM   #3

Oregon Coast Can't Miss?

The airplane museum in Hood River is world class and should not be missed. Fort Stevens State Park is just a few miles north of Seaside. It's a very large park but the camping is superb if you like the woods and miles of hiking/biking trails. There are also many fairly private sites. When you leave you can easily make your way through Astoria (way more interesting than Yachats, Lincoln City, and Canon Beach) to US 30 to Longview. Or if you didn't see any Elk herds around Tillamook you can cross the Astoria Megler bridge and take WA-4 (Ocean Beach Hwy) to Longview then a couple of miles to I-5). There's a pretty good chance you'll see some along there.

Our Thanksgiving holiday (since becoming empty nesters) has been to go to just north of Californicata and return to Longview, one way or both via US101. PM with your interests if you would like more suggestions or specifics.
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:49 PM   #4

X2 on Fort Stevens.

Don't forget to stop by Tillamook Cheese factory!

Old MH - 2000 Coachmen Santara 292SO
New MH - 2018 Coachmen Freelander 31BH
Bodiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:05 PM   #5

Maritime museum in Astoria (where Goonies was filmed) is a must see
JimFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:10 PM   #6

My sister stayed at Harris Beach last year and the pictures she sent us were beautiful.
TTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #7

Beverly state park. Even if you do not stay there it is incredible. If your a combat vet you can stay in Oregon Parks 2 weeks free. Beverly even the tent sites have power and a full line up of Cable TV.

From there you ar within 45 minutes of many beautiful marinas etc.
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #8

I would wonder, slowly, further down the coast from Lincoln city to Newport; world class fish display, and then further south just to see the beautiful area. Entrances to each of the harbors is spectacular.

Ram2500 diesel, FR Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:35 PM   #9

Stop by Tilamook Dairy for ice cream and cheese. We ate at Mo's for their "World Best Clam Chowder and were really disappointed, I have had better clam chowder from Campbells soup, the meal itself was good, but as we live on the Jersey shore we know what good clam chowder tastes like.
radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:47 PM   #10

Fort Stevens State Park is a must - we've been 3x and love it.

Also in Lincoln City - check out Sea and Sand RV Park - very nice and clean and reasonable right on the ocean.
2017 F150 V6 3.5L Ecoboost Supercrew Short Bed

Franklins Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #11

Stop at Depoe Bay between Lincoln City and Newport. You can watch the whales in the bay right from the shore or take a small whale watching boat cruise out for a closer look. The whale museum there is pretty good, too.
RoyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:38 PM   #12

In Hood River:

Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum
Home - Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum

Check out the review on Trip Advisor and Yelp

In McMinnville (about 50-60 miles inland from Lincoln City or about half way between Portland and Lincoln City. You will need to get back to Portland anyway to get back to I-84)):

Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum
https://www.evergreenmuseum.org/

This is where the Spruce Goose is. I have spent 4-5-6 hours there several times and still haven't seen all of it.

Just 1/4 mile down the road (and in the Evergreen Museum grounds - just pay a separate cost ) is:

Wings & Waves Waterpark
https://wingsandwaveswaterpark.com/

Have also spent several fun/enjoyable afternoons there. Awesome water slides and wave pools. The kids will LOVE it.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:56 PM   #13

Not sure where exactly in hood river you are staying but everything I read about all the campgrounds is that they have a lot of noise from nearby trains. The only place I found more than a quarter mile from the railroad was the Timberlake Rv Campground in Stevenson, WA. It's worth checking out for a quiet night.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:24 PM   #14

A great place to eat in Newport is Georgie's Restaurant. Spectacular view overlooking the ocean and great food.
Just North of Newport is the Yaquina Head Lighthouse. There is a small fee per vehicle unless you have one of the National Parks Passes. Great views there and usually free lighthouse tours.
Another great place to eat if you're in Lincoln City is the BlackFish Cafe.
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:04 AM   #15

X3 on Astoria and the Maritime Museum. Also visit the Astoria Column where you can climb up and see a spectacular view of the Columbia River outlet to the sea. Also, go see the "Goondocks", the private home where the movie "The Goonies" was filmed. One of Spielberg's best.

Lighthouses along the Oregon Coast are treasures just waiting to be seen. And the Tillamook Cheese Factory is a wonder. There are also dozens of terrific micro-breweries along the coast. One of our favorites was Pelican Brew Pub in Pacific City.

Just south of Astoria you can find Fort Clatsop, where the Lewis and Clark Expedition spent the winter during the second year of their exploration. Fantastic history there. The men must have been much shorter in those days. Don't bang your heads while entering the cabins!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #16

We are going to Lincoln City this fall tell me more of these Micro Breweries
Old 03-15-2018, 01:06 PM   #17

https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=bre...oln+City%2C+OR
Old 03-15-2018, 10:54 PM   #18

Thank You All!

This forum is amazing! Our first trip to the Oregon Coast and we've got "places to go and things to see" for the next five trips. Thank you all for taking the time to provide your comments and suggestions. We can't wait until July!
6.0 Gasser 4:10

Smiletwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiletwice View Post
We can't wait until July!
One thing I did not see anyone mention. This may have changed during the election.

As of 6 months ago other than in rare locations it it unlawful for you to pump your own gas/diesel.
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:17 AM   #20

Pumping your own gas here in Oregon hasn't been allowed since the early 50's. There was recently a change in rural counties with low populations that allow pumping your own gas during certain hours.
Here's an article than explains it:
https://www.seattletimes.com/life/tr...in-big-cities/