Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2018, 07:50 AM   #1

Orlando to Wyoming and ?

I am starting to plan a trip from Orlando to Wyoming. Most likely after summer when it has started to cool down.
As of now, Memphis, Branson, Wichita, Dodge City, Cheyenne and Laramie are stopping points that we are interested in. I can easily look up all the “tourist” things to see and do in those areas. I don’t expect someone to do all the work for me. But I know everyone on here will have great ideas and suggestions and tell me places that we should not miss and other places to forget about.
Along the way our idea was to stay in camp grounds when we are in the area of places we want to stop. When just going from place to place a Walmart or Cracker Barrel etc. is OK. The route right now is what Google Maps has suggested except we are going to go by way of Montgomery and Birmingham to miss Atlanta. We don’t have a certain time that we have to be any place. And getting off the route is ok. The only restriction I have is I am disabled and can not do a lot of walking. My wife is a big fan of the old west and old cowboy movies that is the reason for the “western” towns. I don’t know about getting back to Florida but the wife has mentioned going by way of Minneapolis. That’s a little far from Laramie just to go shopping but I’ll do it if she wants or tell her to make that trip another time.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Jim_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:30 PM   #2

I spend the night at campgrounds, DW said we didn’t have the money for campgrounds we wold just stay home. I use rvparksandcampgrounds and rvparky to find campgrounds along the way. Also for finding campgrounds at my final destination
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:32 PM   #3

It sounds like you will be gone for a while. I wouldn't start any later than early September. The open plains of Kansas, Nebraska and Wyoming can have weather changing very fast. Winter comes early in Wyoming so expect cold weather. You may have to make the Mall of the Americas another trip if you don't get there until mid October.

Yes, getting to Memphis will be a couple days. Go Orlando to Tallahassee, Dothan AL, Montgomery, Birmingham to Memphis. From Birmingham to Memphis it is I-22, a new interstate that doesn't have a lot of services on it yet so make sure you have fuel when you leave Birmingham, Tupelo MS will be about the only large stop along the way. When you get to the Tennessee state line I-22 ends and in Memphis you are dumped off to city streets, not bad but plenty of traffic lights for a short distance. There are towns along that route but not directly on it. You may want to stay at Tom Sawyer RV park in West Memphis, right on the Mississippi Riverbank. I'm guessing DW wants to go to Graceland, a little pricy and lots of touristy although there is plenty choices for good BBQ in Memphis downtown. From there to Branson you can go a couple ways. From Memphis go I-40 to Little Rock then Conway and take US65 North to Branson, a mix of 2 and 4 lane highway or you can take a better route and head north from West Memphis up I-55 to Hwy412 and take that west to Kennett MO and from there North to Poplar Bluff, MO, only a little under 50 miles of 2 lane with light traffic and take US60 west to US65 south to Branson. I have been on US60 a number of times, it is newer 4 lane divided highway all to way to Springfield, MO, very little truck traffic. I've been both ways and much prefer the US 60 route across southern MO. A quite a few small towns in the West have city parks you can stop at or check county fairgrounds, they always have RV sites.

I can't help much more from there. I have taken my RV from Atlanta to Omaha and like to avoid Interstate highways so I can take my time and enjoy the scenery. I've taken Hwy 400 from Wichita and Dodge City going to Montrose, CO but that was not with a RV in tow. I-35 in Kansas is toll road. The highways were pretty good. You may want to avoid Denver so 2 lane highways in Western Kansas and Nebraska north to I-80 shouldn't be a problem, I sounds like you don't mind them. Winds should have slowed down in Kansas that time of year but they can be a problem. It's always tornado season out there. Especially in Wyoming on I-80 look out for strong crosswinds. One valley on I-80 is called Trailer House Gulch where there are strong winds. I don't think the wind in Cheyenne is ever less that 25mph. BTW not as many Cracker Barrels out west as there are in the SE US, it's a southern thing.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:57 AM   #4

Orlando to Wyoming and ?

Thanks for all the good information. I knew about RV Parky but not rv parks and campgrounds, I’ll have it in a few min. Buffalo Wyoming is now on the list.
Yes, Graceland is for the wife. If I had my way I would just drop her off and I would hit all the BBQ places!
BooBoo23, how in the world can you and others remember all of that information!! I remember awhile back looking at Tom Sawyer RV park. I know there is a RV park at Graceland but I had heard at the time that it was not real good no idea why now.
What I am thinking is, today I am going to find a big paper map might sandwich it between 2 pieces of plastic then put everyone’s suggestions and routes on it. We are thinking about starting out just after the first week of Sept. I’ll watch the weather close to see what is ahead. I won’t be driving in bad weather.
Jim_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:28 AM   #5

You might need to check the campgrounds inside Yellowstone, I think they shut the campgrounds in mid September. You will see snow but hey I like snow. We love the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. We never get tired of going
Old 05-28-2018, 09:33 AM   #6

You're probably going to want to get started earlier than September. You are talking about a 4,000 mile round trip journey. Driving 300 miles per day which seems to be average for rvs, you've got 14 days of driving, not including stops for sightseeing and rest.

As mentioned, many campgrounds shut down in September. Some as early as Sept. 1st. We've been 'chased' south by campground closures at the end of summer as we headed back to Texas. In major cities you can usually find one campground open year round, but they are pricey and sometimes are full.

We've found ourselves at KOAs lately because DH has difficulty walking and most of their campgrounds have paved pathways.

Coming home, you might want to consider heading south to avoid bad weather.... We have a lot of 'old west' here in Texas.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:45 PM   #7

Buffalo and Sheridan Wyoming are both really neat towns with lots of history. Buffalo is my favorite. Have been up in Wyoming and seen it snow on September 1st in Sheridan. So you may want to reconsider your time frame for being up there. The storms blowing in off the Big Horn mountains can be pretty rough.
CharlesHerrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:58 PM   #8
Dahagen

I just drove the 1000 miles from Orlando to Boise, Idaho. Saved a lot of money by using Passport America campgrounds. For places like Yellowstone make reservations NOW. And as others have mentioned, many Forest Service and BLM campgrounds in the northern tier of states close up after Labor day weekend. Denver has no camping without reservations 6 months in advance, and Wyoming campgrounds are full of oil pipeline workers so make reservations there, too.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:00 PM   #9
Gold Tee Box

I would suggest you flip your trip around. Head to Wyoming late August and enjoy the area after school is back in after Labor Day. Then head south to Branson, etc in the early fall. You will enjoy some beautiful scenery and avoid the chance of bad weather.

By the way, you didn't mention what you are driving/towing. Don't take on too much travel each day, so plan accordingly and enjoy your trip.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:05 PM   #10

Maybe it would be better to head straight north and hit the northern stops in Wyoming first. Plan to be in Wyoming by the 1st of September and head back south from there to Dodge City, Wichita, Branson and Memphis from there OR start earlier than you are planning. I forget about campgrounds shutting down in September although many of the COE campground here in Georgia shut down the 1st week after Labor Day, except for those the stay open year around.
Go from Birmingham to Nashville, then St Louis, Kansas City, Omaha, to Wyoming make your stops and head back south by mid September.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:16 PM   #11

I live outside of Memphis so if you need any local information let me know. The area that Graceland is in is not the greatest but since the campground is run by Graceland I would stay there for convenience. EZ days and Memphis Jellystone are about 15 minutes south of Graceland if you want something else. Branson is in the middle of the Ozarks and not easy to get in or out, IMHO. But I understand if you want to visit. Good Luck!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:21 PM   #12

Surely you are going to Yellowstone Park. It is a must! But, winter arrives early. Plan accordinly.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:01 PM   #13

I stayed at the campground in Graceland. It is actually behind the Heartbreak Hotel. I didn't mind it. Very easy access to Graceland across the st. There is a bus terminal or something like that along side the campground. Ask not to be near it, alot of diesel engines running through the night.
atemplesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:18 PM   #14

Not sure if Cody Wy is a part of your itinerary but the Buffalo Bill Museum is huge and the tickets are good for 2 days and it is a super place to visit
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:08 PM   #15
Boondocking Only

Check out Deadwood South Dakota. It's close
2010 F250 Lariat 6.8 V-10 w/Timbren SES
Custom Tunes by 5 Star Tuning
Boondocking Only
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:25 PM   #16

Orlando to Seattle

I took my 2016 FR3 28ds from Daytona Beach area to Seattle just after I purchased.I take off every year just after Labor Day. I put a steering stabalizer on my rig before ever departing. I took the same route that you are mentioning. But when I went along 400 from Wichita to Pueblo the winds about beat me to death. A lot of the road is two lane. So between the wind and tractor trailers made that drive very tiring. I then went up I-25 to I-90 to Seattle. The V-10 did great through the Rookies.

I'm taking the mother road this year to the pacific and then I-8 and I-10 back.
DavidShifflett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:46 PM   #17

A great place to stay if you want to see Old Faithful is West Yellowstone MT. If there a great campground is Grizzly RV Park
Old 05-28-2018, 06:48 PM   #18

With your wifes love of the old west...I'd suggest that you plan your route through south dakota into wyoming...and then go home through a more southerly route as the weather gets cold and/or snowy early in both places.
Things to see in SD in the western part of the state are:
Badlands, Sturgis, Deadwood, Mt. Rushmore, Custer and Custer State Park (which is full of animals and spectacular scenery).
In Wyoming...you can enter Yellowstone from the east and Cody is a real western town with Buffalo Bill museum and lots of other stuff Cody, Wyoming Official Travel and Vacation Guide
Fishing Bridge is the campground to use INSIDE yellowstone if you can get a reservaton...otherwise stay at one of the campggrounds outside the WEST entrance to the park (Grizzly and KOA get good ratings).
From Yellowstone...hit both Grand Teton National park and Jackson down 191. Colter Bay is a wonderful campground right on the lake in Grand Teton...make reservations now if you still can. If you can't get in the park...Jackson has campgrounds and is a great town. We like the Virginian RV park since it is on the free bus line that will take you all over town. You can leave out of Jackson on a more southern route and plan different stops on the way home, than on the way there while having options to avoid bad weather. (Denver. Salt Lake/Utah, Albuquerque?)
Have a great trip.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesHerrera View Post
Buffalo and Sheridan Wyoming are both really neat towns with lots of history. Buffalo is my favorite. Have been up in Wyoming and seen it snow on September 1st in Sheridan. So you may want to reconsider your time frame for being up there. The storms blowing in off the Big Horn mountains can be pretty rough.

I agree about Buffalo. Just passed through there on the way home from my trip to New Mexico. Checked into the Indian Campground which is in Buffalo and a nice, well maintained, campground. Only planned on staying the night but it was so relaxing I stayed a second night. Was visited by three young bucks (buttons for antlers) that stopped in to prune the trees at the edge of the campground. If anyone plans on staying in/near Buffalo, do so when their Occidental Hotel "Jam Session" is scheduled. Once a month some of the best music is performed by amateurs who live around town.

http://www.occidentalwyoming.com/eve...s_jam_sessions

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:15 PM   #20

If you go through Tupelo stop and see Elvis’s birth home. Memphis you must stay at Tom Sawyer in West Memphis. Also in Wyoming check out independence rock and chimney rock. If the DW reads westerns as you said,I think, she’ll probably know both of them.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote