Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2020, 12:04 PM   #81

Steve,

X2 on the Gas Buddy card. The TSD Logistics card also sounds like it's worth a look.

If time permits, a few days in the Black Hills would be well worth your time and it breaks up the trip. Like Yellowstone, it's busy in the summer. You didn't mention your travel dates but be aware that the Sturgis Rally is August 6-15 next year. Lots of people go 1-2 weeks early or late to avoid the biggest crowds so campgrounds are pretty much full and the rates are higher. Thru traffic on 90 usually isn't too bad though.

Consider taking a couple of spare tire/wheel combos along. I've wasted a lot of time over the years finding a tire store or waiting through the night till they open. Buy them pre-mounted at Walmart and if you don't use them, you can return them. I also carry a portable air tank and a tire plug kit for punctures in the tread as well as a jack and lug wrench that fits my tires. Better to be back on the road in under an hour rather than wasting half a day or more.

Also, check tires at every stop, especially the inside sidewalls. Better to find a bulge or leak early than to have a blowout tear up your wheelwells.

Safe travels,
Another Steve
Hogrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 02:18 PM   #82

Things have changed with the pandemic

Just about every response I just read said they made the trip 2 years or longer ago. The pandemic has caused an explosion in RV buying and people travelling through RV parks. Even boondockers have run into issues finding places to stop because a lot of places for boondocking have been shut down due to too many visitors that don't clean up after themselves. SO a combined increase load of new people along with a shift of boondockers back to parks has caused many places to fill up. I haven't done that trip so I am only reporting what I have heard. Most decent spots here in Michigan you need to reserve EXACTLY 6 months before your date or you won't get decent spots or sometimes any spots - Michigan won't permit reservations earlier than that at State parks. So if it were me, I'd plan it and make reservations.

ON a side note, Walmart has varying rules but many people have indicated they don't permit overnights anymore. The Walmart website says this: "While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store parking lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV."
Cracker Barrel does but they only have a couple of spots marked for use in most locations. If you plan on using either, I'd call ahead and make sure they still have it.
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 04:57 PM   #83

KOA in Cody

We stayed at a KOA in Cody, Wyoming that was very nice. 30-45 minute drive to east side Yellowstone entrance.
Rick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:57 PM   #84

Yellowstone

We're going there in june but camping outside of yellowstone at longhorn ranch rv campground. It's an hour drive to get into yellowstone. Check it out on the internet. Lots to do in small town it's in. Also only an hour drive to grand tetons. We stayed at fishing bridge the first time there but it's not cheap. I think there closed for upgrades any how.
cobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:36 AM   #85

Steve, My wife and I were out west for a little over 3 weeks in 2019. We have a 2018 Rockwood 2306 TT, and 2007 F-150 TV. My first suggestion would be if at all possible to find some more time. Mainly because you'll be spending almost a week of your time just driving there and back. Yellowstone is unbelievable and it would be very easy to spend a week there, or more. However, just south of Yellowstone is Grand Teton NP and nearby Jackson Hole ski area. I'm sure the girls would love to take the gondola to the top. The Tetons are quite beautiful. I assume you'll be traveling interstate 90 most of the way. A few interesting things to see along the way would be Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument, Custer State Park, My Rushmore, Wall Drugstore(these three are close to each other). Devil's Tower in Wyoming is another interesting and scenic place. The small town of Shipsehwana, Indiana would be a nice place to spend a night. It's near the center of the RV industry in the US. Lots of manufacturers, and dealer's, etc, and it's in the heart of Amish country.
For most of our trip, we tried to stay in national parks or state parks, occasionally a private park. Not all have full hookups. Do your research, and get reservations asap, especially to the national and state parks.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:02 PM   #86

YNP Trip

I live in Idaho Falls, ID, a couple hours sw of West Yellowstone. I was a longhaul semi driver for 17 years and made many trips east on 90/94. Most of the time I went through West to Bozeman, then east. YNP is huge, and inaccessible. There are 4 entrances to the park, West, Gardner via Livingston, Cody on the east, and south via Jackson. If I were you I would find a place around West to park the trailer and drive into the park daily. There are loop roads that you can take once inside the park, north towards Mammoth, Petrified Tree, Tower, Inspiration point (Yellowstone Falls), the back to West. Then the Old Faithful, West Thumb, Yellowstone Lake loop. Don't take the trailer into the park!! Parking is hard with a car or truck, let alone a trailer. You can make a drive south to Jackson and Jenny Lake and Coulter Bay. The road from Bozeman (Belgrade) on 191 is not a high speed road, it is windy 2 lane but no mountain passes. The only mountain pass you will have on 90 is between Livingston and Bozeman. If you are an "old" person get a senior pass, else you will be charged daily to enter the park. Good Luck and enjoy!!!
SaladShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:02 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroni View Post
Good morning all!

I live in NY and I am trying to plan a trip to Yellowstone National Park WY for the July 2021 timeframe. I have a 2018 Ram 2500 diesel and a 2016 Primetime Avenger 28DBS. It’s just my 2 daughters and I and we camp about 4-5 times a season mostly within a few hours from home. Our longest trip was to Cedar Point OH.

I don’t really know how to plan this trip as far as getting out there. It’s 33 hours from home and I only have 2 weeks. I’m thinking of finding a campground in Yellowstone and make reservations but as far as getting to Yellowstone I’ve been assuming I would either try to just call a campground a few hours out each day that I am driving or possibly just stay in a Walmart parking lot over night. I’m not sure if that’s a good idea or not.

Also, I was going to try to plan out fuel stops. I did this for our Cedar Point trip, but it seems that was a waste of time. I was able to just find truck stops along the way.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
We stayed at Buffalo Bill State Park at Cody, Wyoming. It is along the reservoir & about 30 minutes to Yellowstone. October we didn't need a reservation, but the ranger told us in the summer you do. We stayed in Rapid City KOA overnight & saw Mt. Rushmore the next day & then drove on to Cody. Beautiful!
DLC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:52 PM   #88

A nice feature at the Rapid City KOA, in 2019 anyway, was that they had a few cars for rent. Reserve them early. I got lucky in 2019 when I reserved a car about 3-4 weeks before my trip. My site situation wasn't so good. I had 2 nites at one site and then had to move to get another 3 nites there.

Reserve early no matter where you stay.

Btw, staying south of Rapid City is closer to most attractions, and you can easily run to Walmart in Rapid City if you need supplies.

Theres a Camping World just west of town too.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:59 PM   #89

We bought an annual national park pss good for all occupants in vehicle
Old 12-26-2020, 09:09 PM   #90

Henry’s Lake State Park

Another option I’m not sure I saw in the thread. Henry’s Lake State Park is west of West Yellowstone in Idaho. Great campground. Short drive.
KCB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:52 AM   #91

Some good comments. I have been going to YNP since 1955. You are signing up for a driving vacation. Eight days to and fro plus long commutes from outside the park. July is the peak season. Yellowstone is wonderful but loved to death. I really like Sept for the elk rut and late May and Junes for all of the baby critters.

Cody and W Yellowstone are your two best bets for hookups. I like the Shonshone River canyon from Cody in the morning as a place to see critters. Before the wolves there were lots of moose around.

If you go to all of the trouble to see Yellowstone in a 2 week trip, make sure you do some memorable things. If you and your kids are hikers, get out and lose the people. Just make noise when you travel and maintain your situational awareness.

I really like to pack a tailgate dinner at least one night, and go out to Lamar Valley with some binoculars. Stay out until after dark. It is the American Serengeti. You will see mule deer, elk, antelope and the sacred dance between bison and the wolves guaranteed. That is the kind of experience that will make strong memories on your kids.

IN 1955 bears were everywhere in the Park. They were along the roads waiting for handouts. The dumps were in operation and Rangers fed bears. My first trip the dark shadows came by the canvas tent all night long in the moonlight. I got up the next morning and my Dad strapped on a .38 and we followed bear tracks. I think it was the day I became a forester at age 5.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote