Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2021, 08:36 AM   #1

PNW Coast Trip

We are planning to head west from Salt Lake City with a stop in Klamath CA to se the redwoods then north along the coast before heading east again with Glacier park one of our major stops.

We are planning Crater lake, perhaps get a look at Mt St Helens and Mt Rainier, Bonneville Dam and perhaps Coulee dam. We are not mountain climbers nor am I able to do long hikes anymore (Arthritis sucks).

What are the other must see things in this area?
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:43 AM   #2

I’d put this on my list: https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvis...ng-the-hoh.htm

Also driving up the Oregon is a gorgeous drive. Keep us posted!
borismkogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
We are planning to head west from Salt Lake City with a stop in Klamath CA to se the redwoods then north along the coast before heading east again with Glacier park one of our major stops.

We are planning Crater lake, perhaps get a look at Mt St Helens and Mt Rainier, Bonneville Dam and perhaps Coulee dam. We are not mountain climbers nor am I able to do long hikes anymore (Arthritis sucks).

What are the other must see things in this area?
When/what time of year are you going?
Just a thought on your route - have you considered Crater Lake first, then going west (Hwy. 199) from Grants Pass, OR to Hwy. 101 at Crescent City, CA? You'd go right by Jedediah Smith State Park for a dose of the Redwoods, then could head south at Crescent City if you need/want more....it's not far. Then head up the coast and pick one of the roads that crosses heading east to get ready for the things you have listed in Washington. Depending on your time frame, the Olympic Peninsula is outstanding, right on Hwy. 101 but it's a long way and might be too much for this trip. I like Hwy. 2 in the NE part of WA - great road, scenic, lots of fuel stops/little towns and you come right into Kalispell and can even stay on the same road to East Glacier.

Let us know how it goes! Travel safe and have a great time.
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGal3 View Post
When/what time of year are you going?
Just a thought on your route - have you considered Crater Lake first, then going west (Hwy. 199) from Grants Pass, OR to Hwy. 101 at Crescent City, CA? You'd go right by Jedediah Smith State Park for a dose of the Redwoods, then could head south at Crescent City if you need/want more....it's not far. Then head up the coast and pick one of the roads that crosses heading east to get ready for the things you have listed in Washington. Depending on your time frame, the Olympic Peninsula is outstanding, right on Hwy. 101 but it's a long way and might be too much for this trip. I like Hwy. 2 in the NE part of WA - great road, scenic, lots of fuel stops/little towns and you come right into Kalispell and can even stay on the same road to East Glacier.

Let us know how it goes! Travel safe and have a great time.

We are meeting a group of friends in Custer SD in June and heading west from there through Salt Lake City then up the west coast with plans to visit friends in Ellensburg then head east with Glacier on the list of stops which will put us into the UP of Michigan then on over to NY state for a grandson’s wedding in late July.

We will have plenty of time to doe and see so I will be looking up your suggestions to see which and how we might add them to our trip.

Thank You.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:09 AM   #5

If you are up to Ellensburg, check out Leavenworth, Wa
Old 11-20-2021, 11:31 AM   #6

I agree, if you get the chance to go through Leavenworth it's worth it! Also, I have stayed in Mazama Campground at Crater Lake one night and it was the worst place I have ever camped. I would highly recommend for Crater Lake you make USFS campground at Diamond Lake your base and take a 1 day trip to Crater Lake from there. Diamond lake is a beautiful place to camp.

In Gold Beach, Oregon on the coast are jet boats on the Rogue River. They are a blast and tons of fun! If you end up in Grant's Pass there are jet boats there too and they have a wonderful trip to a lodge down river where you get a great lunch or dinner.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:32 AM   #7

We will be taking RT199 from crater lake to Crescent city then plan to drop on down to Klamath CA for 3 nights to check out that area, then head north along the coast from there.

I see a couple of suggestions for Leavenworth WA as a stop, what in particular makes that a good place?
Old 11-26-2021, 01:48 PM   #8

McMinnville, OR; Evergreen Aviation Museum for the Spruce Goose.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 11:39 AM   #9

Glaciers, waterfalls, enormous trees, elk, bighorn sheep, mountain goats.
The Olympics, the North Cascades, Indian artifacts, lots of art, seafood.
The Pacific Ocean, Olympic NP with elk grazing on the beach, Lake Ozette.

There is so much to see all you have to do is drive around and it will all be brand new.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 12:14 PM   #10
D W

As everyone has pointed out, lots to do and see. My only recommendation is to keep yourself apprised of the wildfire situation on the eastern side of I-5.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 12:19 PM   #11

If you go that far northwest, the Olympic Peninsula is great to explore. HOH Rain Forrest, Crescent Lake and a trip to Hurricane Ridge is worthwhile. Sequim along the way in summer for the Lavendar fields.

In Montana, stop at the Lewis and Clark Caverns northwest of Glacier. You can take a tour through the caverns.
https://fwp.mt.gov/stateparks/lewis-and-clark-caverns.

Another great stop and place to camp is Farragut State Park in North Idaho. On Beautiful Lake Pend O'reille, a glacial lake with hiking trails and a Naval Museum. 5th deepest lake in the US there is an active submarine test base there.
2012 Ford F150 FX4 3.5 EcoBoost
jay2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 12:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolland View Post
If you are up to Ellensburg, check out Leavenworth, Wa
Traffic in the summer has gotten so bad in Leavenworth. It is right on highway 2 and traffic is stop and go all through town in the summer. To me, it has lost a lot of its charm because it has become so popular.
2012 Ford F150 FX4 3.5 EcoBoost
jay2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 12:33 PM   #13
Travel Trailer Delight!

The northern part of the Oregon Coast is gorgeous. There is an aviation museum in Tillamook as well as the Tillamook Cheese Factory. Great samples and awesome ice cream. Cannon Beach is very scenic, Seaside very touristy and Astoria looks like the mini San Francisco. Lots of good places to eat. Just plan on rain when going up the coasts of Oregon and Washington. Some pretty neat little towns to see. Have a great time!
Boucherk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:07 PM   #14

Well . . . since people are mentioning air museums, I need to chime in.
https://www.waaamuseum.org/

This museum in Hood River, OR is truly amazing. I think they are up to well over 300 airplanes now - from early Wright Bros. models into the early/mid 50's. If cars are your thing (or trucks), they have almost 150 ranging from a 1900 steamer and a 1914 electric to a 1981 Avanti. Model T's, Cords, Hupmobiles, Willys, Studebaker, Stanley Steamer and on and on.

There are tons of military vehicles from WWII. They have sewing machines, motorcycles, bicycles, tractors and more.

You won't believe how much they have stuffed into their three (connected) buildings. AND almost every item actually runs. Almost every airplane is flyable. (I think I counted only 6-10 that were left in unrestored condition). In fact they DO fly them regularly. They have weekends several times a year when they take some of those old planes out and fly them. I believe that they even offer rides (check their schedules). All of the cars run. In fact the last time I was there, they had 3-4 old cars (1920's and 1930's models) giving rides to a group that came up from one of the river cruise lines - must of had a special deal with the cruise line.

You won't spend less than 4-5 hours in there and maybe more.
yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:14 PM   #15

Just north of Spokane, WA there is a wonderful wild cat refuge.
https://www.cattales.org/hours-admission.html

Wonderful place. My wife feed chicken parts to a HUGE male lion. A park worker takes you up to the enclosure and tells you how to hold the pieces (thumbs in - nothing sticking out) and put JUST the chicken part thru the fence.

Made her day - - year actually. She still talks about it.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:41 PM   #16
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay2703 View Post
.....Another great stop and place to camp is Farragut State Park in North Idaho. On Beautiful Lake Pend O'reille, a glacial lake with hiking trails and a Naval Museum. 5th deepest lake in the US there is an active submarine test base there.
There are a number of those submarine test bases on the interior lakes of the U.S. I've always wondered how they got the subs to those lakes ???
Old 01-03-2022, 02:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
There are a number of those submarine test bases on the interior lakes of the U.S. I've always wondered how they got the subs to those lakes ???
The subs are 1/4 scale, unmanned ships. A 60-70 foot model fits easily on a rail car - wrapped up tight and out of sight.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:06 PM   #18
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongold View Post
The subs are 1/4 scale, unmanned ships. A 60-70 foot model fits easily on a rail car - wrapped up tight and out of sight.
Okay, that explains it.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:39 PM   #19

The big redwoods in N Ca are one of my favorite places to go. We haven't been any further north than Crescent city. I would go there more often if we didn't have to go through the giant cluster known as SF. There really isn't anywhere good to stay in that area, and we can't get past it in one of my days (I don't do long distances all at once anymore).
Anyway, that said, since you're going all that way, I recommend going south along US101 far enough to get down to the Avenue of the Giants.
You mentioned that you can't hike too far due to your arthritis, and I can relate. The little pullouts along the Avenue of the Giants have several little hiking loops that are maybe a mile round trip and level. Even though you're not far from a highway, you can't see or hear it, and you're hiking in the most beautiful forest I've ever seen.
I really want to venture further up the coast.
Last time we were up there I was still able to fly. We flew into Ukiah, (nice little airport), and got a rental car, but I really wished I had a Jeep, or other 4X4.
RVing up there and spending more time on the coast is a bucket list trip for me.
I hope you have a wonderful time!
Old 01-03-2022, 06:05 PM   #20

I would highly recommend Jedediah Smith State Park. This is where Star Wars was filmed and will gave us a strong dose of humility. They are magnificent. Enjoy your trip.
Buddelje is offline   Reply With Quote