Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2022, 08:42 PM   #1

Portland OR to Dallas TX

We will be traveling from Portland, OR to Dallas, TX the last week of April. I am route planning and it looks like there are two (major) alternatives.

RV Trip Wizard wants to route me to Salt Lake, then thru Utah (Moab), cutting the corner of Colorado and into northern New Mexico to Dallas on I40.

The alternative is to Salt Lake but then cutoff to I80 to Cheyenne, WY, use I25 thru Denver, hop onto I70 to central Kansas, then finally I35 south to Dallas.

Mileage wise it isn't too far apart. But I am wondering about the weather thru the Rockies in late April. I have heard and read that the weather in those mountains can be dicey/changeable that early in the year. It looks like the route down thru Utah and New Mexico puts me in the mountains longer and I know a good part of it between Salt Lake and Albuquerque - maybe most of it - is two lane state highways.

Considering the time of year and possible traveling conditions, any suggestions on which may be a better choice?

Thanks.
yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:00 PM   #2

I've only made that trip twice (Lubbock to PDX), but IMO the southern route in April would seem less of a concern.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:33 PM   #3

So I live about 6 hours west of Dallas, my dad lived just outside of Medford. So there is about 12 hour driving difference, but when growing up and for his funeral we take 20 to 10 then at Blythe we head to needles then 99 to Sacramento then 5 the rest of way. Pushing hard just under two days taking easy 3 days, So probably 4 for you with added distance. Of course you could cut to 40 as well you have the more scenic routes. But once you leave Northern California virtually no mountains comparatively speaking
moose074 is online now   Reply With Quote