Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2022, 11:56 PM   #21

Well that looked like a fanfreakingtastick trip. Great pictures and thanks for sharing. We did the Tetons last year. Such amazing beauty.
2021 Cherokee Greywolf 23MK
Equalizer 1,000lb WDH
Guspech750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 09:46 AM   #22

Good idea. I love Yellowstone. I used to live in Wyoming. I started visiting the Park in 1955. The off season is very rewarding. Spring to see the babies. Fall to see the elk rut.
ppine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 06:30 PM   #23

Beautiful but heavy

I love your pictures but it looks like you need a weight distribution hitch in the one picture showing both trailer and TV. Look how the front of the Suburban is much higher in the front than the back?
Iím so glad you made it home safely and had a wonderful accident free trip. I wasnít so lucky.
Gramps42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 06:33 PM   #24
2019 FR puma 39PQB

wow did we do a mirror trip , but did not see you

on May 2 we left central Florida went through I think 15 states ,, leaving Yellowstone west we got in a snow storm that shut down the hwy for 5 hours got home may 29th
got fing the pic we had a bear come up the the car window og course the pic shows him waving bye to us, a few days later we were the lead car when the bison stops trafic as they cross the road,, close up again
amx1397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:02 PM   #25
A Mile High & a Mile Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
Y
The only real crazy portion of the entire trip was the 10 miles or so up and down Teton Pass in WY into ID. IT IS STEEP!!! At mostly a curvy, 10% grade, it started at 6200' and ended somewhere near 8400'. The 3 miles up were spent in 1st gear at 35mph and the descent was again in 1st gear, going about 32 mph. Any faster up or down would have resulted in a wreck.
Sounds like a great trip for your family. I've spent pretty much my whole life wandering SW Montana, NW Wyoming and Eastern Idaho and it still never gets old (just me).
Just a thought on avoiding Teton Pass (though you'll miss that section of scenery), you can just follow the Snake River from Jackson/Moose through the Pallisades Reservoir area and catch up to your original route at Idaho Falls (I worked 2 summers building an irrigation ditch in Victor, ID on the "downhill side" of your Teton Pass adventure). If you do take the pass again, if you proceed north out of Victor through Driggs and on to Rexburg, you get to see the "backside" of the Tetons (though maybe not as spectacular unless you get take a sidetrip to the top of Grand Targee Ski Resort and view Alaska Basin and the Tetons rising out of the basin).
You can see a lot of photos, (one of mine during the 2017 eclipse) if you look for the "Teton Senic Byway" between Tetonia and Rexburg on Google Maps.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:04 PM   #26

Hey Brenden, had no idea you hung out here. Like I said before, we really like West Yellowstone (both times weíve been there). Now that youíve had a taste of the travel bug, youíll have to copy our trip to Maine - just a short 8,500 mile trip!

Glad to see you guys out enjoying the RV life!👍
Old 07-27-2022, 01:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by royboy334 View Post
I love your pictures but.....
Always nice to have an unsolicited critic!

Quote:
....it looks like you need a weight distribution hitch....
Got one! My signature for the last 4 years:
2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH

Quote:
.....Look how the front of the Suburban is much higher in the front than the back?......
Again, my signature for the last 4 years:

Furthermore, I'd rather drive a Ford than push a Chevy!

Quote:
..... it looks like you need a weight distribution hitch in the one picture showing both trailer and TV. Look how the front of the F250 Suburban is much higher in the front than the back?......
Judging a WDH setup on looks alone is meaningless.
  • A WDH is in use and dialed in for the truck and trailer.
  • The truck also has Torklift Stableload Suspension Stabilizers.
  • Both of those pictures were taken on uneven ground.
  • The camera lens was also set at a wide angle, distorting the pics.
  • You're referencing that you know how my truck sits (rake) from the factory.
  • The scale doesn't lie. My front axle has approximately 50% weight returned with the WDH in place....just like Ford says it should. And, the truck's GAWR F & R, GVWR, GCVW and trailer's GAWR and GVWR are all within spec.

To show how my truck sits, it is damn level from the factory. Any weight (950 tongue weight + about 600 in the bed) with or without a WDH will make the truck sit slightly ass-heavy....but not unsafe.

Unloaded:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	564.8 KB
ID:	277062

For your satisfaction (or disgust), another view of the truck and trailer. We've towed the Surveyor 7,369 miles with the F250 through 5 states, from the west coast to the Continental Divide and it's a great setup.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan42109.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	277063

clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 04:48 PM   #28

Trip

Iím glad you had a wonderful trip and your WDH works so well. I was obviously wrong about your tow setup.
Roy
Gramps42 is offline   Reply With Quote