Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2019, 06:02 PM   #1

Recommend Full Hookup CG outside Yosemite for November

Hi Folks. Can someone please recommend a Full Hookup CG outside Yosemite NP? We will be coming from Las Vegas, NV. According to map, we will be entering the park on the East Side (Tioga Entrance), via Highway 120.

Would like to stay as close to the entrance as possible, with Full Hook-up (30Amp), 4 adults with 2 dogs. Class C, 32 ft with towed car.

I would like your recommendation, especially if you have actually used those CG. Thanks in advance.
ADOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:35 PM   #2

https://monovistarvpark.net/ its on 395 and nice park if open.....
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:42 PM   #3

Thanks Dave. But I see they close Nov. 1. We are heading
That area Nov. 8-11. How is the weather out in that area that time
Of the year anyway? Does it rain a lot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paverdave View Post
https://monovistarvpark.net/ its on 395 and nice park if open.....
Old 10-13-2019, 06:55 PM   #4

This time of the year with temp down in 20's at night it will be snow and not rain if stormy weather......Lee Vining is just down the road from Mammoth Mtn.

https://www.google.com/search?source...iz.PVOaUHdG9MY
Old 10-13-2019, 08:50 PM   #5
Site Team

Not sure if I'd be driving a Motorhome over Tioga Pass in November.
You better check the weather closely. It could easily be full of snow, since it's nearly 10,000 ft.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:54 PM   #6

Tioga Road closes due to snow, usually from sometime in November through late May or early June. The road closure extends from the Tuolumne Grove, just east of Crane Flat, to Tioga Pass Entrance Station.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:32 PM   #7

Thanks for the information folks. We have never been around that area. Wife mentioned that she would like to see Yosemite NP for her birthday week (1st week of November). Guess we will just visit late Spring or Summer next year.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:30 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOR View Post
Thanks for the information folks. We have never been around that area. Wife mentioned that she would like to see Yosemite NP for her birthday week (1st week of November). Guess we will just visit late Spring or Summer next year.
You still could take the southern route, from Vegas to Bakersfield, then north to the West entrance. It's open most of winter.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:21 PM   #9

Thanks for your suggestion bikendan. I looked it up and it seems like we can do the drive. The route through Bakersfield is about 115 miles longer. But it looks like it can be done. Wife want to spend a day driving around Yosemite for her birthday. Then she want visit her friend who was recently diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer, in Roseville (130 miles away) the next day. We will be towing a car so that drive is not a problem. Thanks again for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You still could take the southern route, from Vegas to Bakersfield, then north to the West entrance. It's open most of winter.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:32 PM   #10

I would not try to enter Yosemite from 395 unless I know in advance Tioga pass is still open. If you decide to come via hwy 49 or hwy 140, I recommend continuing towards Groveland and the hwy 120 entrance. About 7 miles from the park entrance is a 1000 trails campground (Yosemite lakes) that takes non-members and is a really nice campground with full hookups. It is not very busy in November. All the RV parks in that area are expensive.
modem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:34 PM   #11

Yosemite Lakes RV Resort, near Groveland. Nice park that's only about a 10 minute drive from the Big Oak Flat entrance on 120.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #12
Dr Travel

Go here, you won't regret it. $350 for the month. Have to join Escapees at $69 but more than worth it. 1 hour drive to the floor/valley of Yosemite, but easy driving and very scenic. A great park, great value, neat towns nearby. https://www.parkofthesierras.org

Fulltimers since 2014; still going strong in our RW Sig Ultralight Fiver. Have towed the Rockwood 27,000 miles with nary a hiccup. (Except for when participating in happy hours)

robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:41 PM   #13

Thanks for the suggestion DavidH. I saw that place, as well as Yosemite Pines RV Park. I also saw the 1000 Trails that modem9 suggested. I think they are within the same vicinity as both CG have the same Zip Code. I think we can make it there first week of November. Will make reservation tonight when wife gets home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
Yosemite Lakes RV Resort, near Groveland. Nice park that's only about a 10 minute drive from the Big Oak Flat entrance on 120.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:31 PM   #14

I would not assume you can enter the park from the East over Tioga pass in November. It is often closed due to heavy early winter snows. We have stayed at High Sierra RV Park in Oakhurst a few miles south of the south entrance. Probably a good bet that you will not get snowed in there. Also, there is a narrow gauge railroad just up Route 41 in Fish Camp that hosts a festive Saturday night BBQ and folk singing at a bon-fire in the woods. Much fun.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #15

The Mammoth Mountain RV Park is open year round. Nice park, I stayed there recently . It’s about 30 minutes from the Tioga Pass. Like others have said, just check the weather reports to see if any snow coming that would shut it down. If so, you’ll have to take Hwy 395 north to Carson City (hwy 50 W) or Reno(Hwy 80W) and go around to Yosemite’s west gate.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:56 AM   #16

We're headed up that way in Feb. Saw the recommendation for the park in Groveland. How bad is it towing a trailer up Priest Grade? I haven't been up that way in years. We have a small trailer so hoping its not too bad.
thanks in advance