Old 10-30-2019, 02:28 PM   #1

Redding CA to HWY 101 with our TT?

Hi all - we're starting to plan next summers vacation and at one point we will be staying at the Manzanitta Lake CG in Lassen Natl Park. The next major stop will be Coos Bay OR. I like the idea of going up the coast but I seem to find mixed messages on towing TT's on Hwy 299 from Redding to the 101 on the coast. I guess if you have any experience on Hwy 44 from Lassen down to Redding, that would be appreciated as well.

We have a '11 F150 with the 5.0 and 3.73 rear end and will be towing a 21' Cruise Lite TT that weighs roughly 6200# when we are loaded for long trips. Anyone have any experience with this route and a similar rig as ours?

We're also looking for a good overnight spot between Coos Bay and Redding so that we have 2 short travel days instead of a long travel day.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Two shedding mutts
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:10 PM   #2

Earlier this year we went from Susanville on Hwy 36 to Red Bluff, up I 5 to Redding and took Hwy 299 to Eureka, Hwy 101. We were in our dp with our toad so a little different but we saw several 1/2 ton trucks pulling trailers and I donít think it is a problem you just have to take your time and use the turn outs. On our way home we went back on 299 to Redding then Hwy 44 back to Susanville and again I donít see a problem.
These roads are mountainous and curvy but take your time and keep your speed under control.

clhjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:49 PM   #3

I've towed my old 27' TT with my Titan on that route and other than having a lot of curves it's a good road. Be patient as it's definitely not an Interstate.

When I went through there were a lot of deer near and crossing the road. Pretty road so take your time and enjoy.

Wife and I left the KOA near Lassen Peak and went to Crescent City for the night then on to Coos Bay and the rest of the coast.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:24 PM   #4

I'm used to pulling the trailer on 2 lane windy roads so as long as the road is good and there are some turnouts occasionally, I'm a happy guy!

Thanks gents and thanks for the tip on Crescent City Mike. That should be just about right for a days driving in the twisties.
Two shedding mutts
Old 10-31-2019, 12:55 PM   #5

We came the opposite direction, in from the coast, on 299 this past summer pulling a 26 foot Forest River Grey Wolf with our F350. I agree with all the comments about the drive and the highway. However, if you want to make a stop on the northern CA coast there is a unique private campground at Patricks Point, just north of Trinidad called Azalea Glen. It is small, quiet, and very interesting with lots of flowers and greenery and a kind of home spun appeal but with full hookups. Get a spot on the pond and you will have a deck with chairs at the back of your trailer.
Wilgarison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:04 PM   #6

Drove it with our MH. One of worst drives I've been on: hairpin curves and switchbacks abound! Unfortunately, there isn't a road in the U.S. that someone isn't going to claim is a piece of cake. You'll notice the two posts say, "take your time" or "be patient". I take that as a code word for "You'd better be prepared!" Worst part of the whole thing is that there isn't another route unless you take I-5. But, that takes you way north. If you're wanting to see as much of 101 as you can, then you don't have much of a choice than to take 299. And, I must add that 101 is one of the most beautiful roads I've been on.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:27 PM   #7

Redding to Hwy 101

Your very best highway to get from Redding to Hwy 101 or the coast is out of Grants Pass. A very good road with few grades and easy driving. Takes you to Crescent City. Then north, up Hwy 1 to Coos Bay.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:28 PM   #8

We have used hwy.299 with our 5th several times. No issue with the road. Yes, there are twists and hills but every route to the coast is that way. Expect 3 hours for that segment.
I totally second Azalea Glen for a stay. If you want to drive North past Cresent City, there is a great RV park right in the redwoods. I think called Redwood RV Park. Only a few miles from the border.
modem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:00 PM   #9

I would say if you are confident in your driving and towing ability, go for it and enjoy. I made the trip several times with my medium duty flatbed Freightliner FL 60 and a 35 foot Kountry Star travel trailer. We loaded a full size SUV on the bed of the Freightliner and towed the trailer behind. The combination was 57 feet long overall. However, I put myself through college driving long haul flatbedding and was confident in my driving. The road is difficult but hardly impossible. There are twists and turns but if you are experienced, it can be negotiated with no particular problems. It is also very pretty in places and the drivers we met were courteous. Traffic is the problem and not the road. If you are long and have to negotiate some of the hair pin curves, oncoming traffic needs to be cooperative. In the past, I always found it so. Traffic was less understanding on 101.
MacII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrell View Post
Your very best highway to get from Redding to Hwy 101 or the coast is out of Grants Pass. A very good road with few grades and easy driving. Takes you to Crescent City. Then north, up Hwy 1 to Coos Bay.
X-2
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:59 PM   #11

I agree... have friends living in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrell View Post
Best route is up to Oregon and then come back to California.
tmsimmons56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:18 PM   #12

I'm from Paradise, CA, and have taken 299 many times with my 42 foot Cardinal 5er, it's fine going across there, sure there are twisties, but it's the same on much of the coast, that's part of the beauty of it. I have no problems with it. If you go to Grants Pass on I-5 you'll not only have to go over a very large mountain range north of Redding, but it's miles out of the way. 44 from Lassen is easy driving. Get to the coast the quickest way possible, it's gorgeous, especially Oregon. Tons of places to camp, but reserve early. Safe travels!
bmrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:29 PM   #13

Thanks all, plenty of info to ponder there. I'm pretty comfortable pulling the trailer on mountain roads with switchbacks if the road is in decent condition. Our TT is only 24' bumper to hitch and the truck is relatively short so it navigates switchbacks pretty well.

The Azalea RV park looks really nice - almost too nice for an overnighter! Thanks for the suggestion.

BTW - bmrbob - I have no idea what you endured in last years fire but I hope you and your family came out of it OK.
Two shedding mutts
Old 10-31-2019, 03:50 PM   #14
Multi-Slacker

We went from Redding to the 101 last June. My wife did the driving and she is a novice trailer puller. The only challenge we faced was construction flagmen using incomprehensible gestures. The trailer is 34' and the overall rig is 54'.
2018 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L, 4:10 rear
CurtPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:49 PM   #15

I have never pulled on 299 but when I was still working and running jobs I had occasion to drive Eureka - Redding many times - - often 2 or 3 times in one day, over the course of 5 months. (for example - meet the plumbing contractor at Eureka jobsite at 7am - meet electrical contractor in Redding at 12 noon - and back to Eureka to meet painting/flooring/roofing (whoever) contractor at 4pm) I drove a fully loaded 3500 work van. I saw lots of TT's, not to mention semi rigs, using this roadway as I traveled it.

As others have said, the road itself is excellent but twisty (in the middle third especially, as I remember). It is comfortably wide with some pull-outs and a fair amount of passing lanes on hills. As long as you are comfortable doing the speed limit - or a bit less - you will be fine. If you are only comfortable flooring the pedal and get antsy at anything less than 60-65 mph you will probably think it is one of the worst drives you've ever been on.

Going the freeway all the way up to Grants Pass and then over adds more than 100 miles to the trip and it would skip Redwoods National Park (it's another 50 or so miles south of Crescent City, CA). Slowing down 15-20 mph and enjoying the scenery on 299 is still way faster than going 150 miles out of your way.

P.S. - - if you're planning on a run from Crescent City to Coos Bay without stopping, you will be passing up some of the best and prettiest scenery/parks/experiences on the whole trip - Brookings, Bandon, Gold Beach, and more. I think the southern Oregon coast is the best part of the whole state. Don't even think of passing the Mail Boat Excursion on the Rogue River out of Gold Beach. Take the 104 mile white-water trip (about 7-8 hours). I've done it twice and will do it again the next time I get that way.

gastan is offline   Reply With Quote