Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2019, 06:28 PM   #1

roadtrip

I know I have seen this on here before but can't find the thread. Am looking for info on taking H550 from Durango, CO to Montrose, CO. Class A diesel pusher and 38' fifth wheel with 2018 Chevy duramax dually. Any suggestions or advice.
Thanks.
hollandsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:48 PM   #2

Try to stay on the paved portion of the highway.
Seriously though; be sure and stop by the Russell Stover chocolate outlet and the Ute Indian Museum while in Montrose. Both provide a break and at Russell Stover some bulk chocolate goodies at very low prices. The drive is very scenic and easy. It's called the "Million Dollar" highway and the view is contributory. Drive it many times (both directions) in my class A towing.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:46 PM   #3

I live just outside Durango and make the drive to Montrose regularly (most recently just last week). My #1 question to you is how much mountain driving have you done?

On this route you'll encounter steep up and down grades, switchback curves and sheer drop-offs at times with no guard rails. Not trying to scare you but I don't want anyone taking this route in a large rig that's not prepared for it. Even full time semi drivers are caught off guard and end up burning up their brakes and wrecking on this road. It's a great drive in a car but even that can be a puckering drive for some. Many a time I've come around a curve to find a car half into my lane trying to get away from the drop off on their side of the road. Google Million Dollar Highway for pictures and videos.

Alternate routes include going west to Mancos, then north over Lizzard Head Pass before turning back to the east and rejoining Hwy 550 in Ridgway. Still will have some pretty good grades but not the switchbacks & drop offs.

Heck, there's even been times the only safe route was way out west to Cortez, Dove Creek, Slickrock and back east again.

PS. If you're a John Wayne fan the town of Ridgway (and surrounding area) was the setting for True Grit. There's a restaurant there by the same name with lots of memorabilia.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:14 PM   #4

Good to know! We just drove from Florida to Marysvale, Utah, via 64, 70 and I think 191, maybe. That was an incredibly beautiful trip but a little scary at points. We drove through Cortez and Dove Creek.
Ramblingromines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:37 AM   #5

I thought I had seen that the road between telluride and Cortez was closed due to boulders. I really liked telluride and the free mountain gondola was fun
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 02:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttimerstraint View Post
I thought I had seen that the road between telluride and Cortez was closed due to boulders. I really liked telluride and the free mountain gondola was fun
Correct, a boulder the size of a house took out the road. DOT not sure when it will reopen.

Safe and happy travels
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote