Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2020, 06:44 PM   #1

Rocky Mountain NP

I am starting to plan a vacation to Colorado in early September. Has anyone camped at Rocky Mountain National Park in the beginning of September? Do I need reservations? I didn’t know how busy it would be.
See2Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:01 PM   #2

Yes, you will need reservations and I would make them ASAP. There is basically one campground on each side of the park within the park and they can fill up pretty fast and stay that way. There are also campgrounds outside the park on each side. Some in Loveland and up the Big Thompson Canyon on the east. A couple in Estes Park as well. On the western side there are campgrounds in Grandby and in the Grand Lake area. All of them stay pretty busy so I would start checking now while your selections are good. I live in Loveland and I can tell you that there is a lot to see and do when you are in this part of the country.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:12 PM   #3

start looking at the reservations NOW... usually federal parks are booking 6 months in advance at RECREATION dot GOV... keep track of how fast they fill up... decide where/when you are going... then pull the trigger as soon as you can, like at 8AM on the first day of your reservation window. National parks fill up fast...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:35 PM   #4

RMNP is about the 2nd busiest in the nation. Also, depending how late you are getting to arming, the elk rut may be starting which draws a ton of people, in addition to those already there. Get reservations now, if possible. Also, depending on the size of your rig, you may not be able to get a spot in RMNP.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 04:47 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
We have a 26' MH and reserved the first day permitted for July - 6 months from your first camp day. Of the sites that we could fit into about 1/2 were reserved (you can reserve up to 14 days from the 6 months start day). I would guess September would be better - families back in school, but make your reservations soon. 9-6 = 3(March) so you have time. We picked 3 sites over 8 days all on the East side of the park. No toad, but the park has a shuttle system that i have used in the past and it's nice. Good luck!
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 04:51 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Here are the park campgrounds and if you scroll down it shows RV limits (lengths by campground)
https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/camping.htm
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:02 PM   #7

I lived in CO for 5 years and went to RMNP once. It is crowded all the time. So many better places to go in the same area. Look at some maps and head out.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount