Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2020, 02:26 PM   #1

Route Utah to Jackson Hole Wy

OK my friends I need a clarification on my route from Utah to Jackson Hole WY.

Please take a look at the route off of I-15 exit 263 in red to Evanston Wy. and I-80.
It seem to be an easier route back to I-80 than to go thru Salt Lake City.
This route is about 10 miles less and seem may bypass traffic in Salt Lake.
I see it has a few stop light but that's ok and maybe Heber will be a good stop for lunch.

My question is for me with my motorhome pulling my car any issues on the bypass route?
Seems I see a switchback and some hills but I can handle most anything.
If the road is good and is it easier I probably will take it as it should be around weekday at noon when I hit this.

Thank you all and hope I find someone in Salt lake City to clarify.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-05-28 121433.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	230074  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:16 PM   #2

Iggy, we traveled pretty much the same route last June. Pulling a 37’ 5ver with F350. I don’t remember any issues with that route. Different set up, so hopefully someone with local knowledge or a MHer will chime in...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3845EFD7-7769-4193-B9FE-3F04DB7E0B69.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	362.7 KB
ID:	230076  

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:19 PM   #3

Iggy, Don’t know you’re plans after Jackson Hole but if going to Yellowstone enter thru the south entrance. Do not take the Teton Pass to get to the west entrance. You probably already know this...

And the Grand Tetons are magnificent...

Old 05-28-2020, 03:38 PM   #4
Newbie-big time

OK, so thats Provo Canyon to Park City from the south.

2 lane , sometimes passing lanes; it may be shorter milage, but not likely to be shorter time; maybe not a factor though.

If you are hitting this section on a Friday or any weekend day, i think you would be better off just dropping in behind a semi and settling back in the seat. That would be my choice.

If your right seat has the laptop with the nav app up check the traffic prior to hitting Nephi; Salt lake may be trafficy , but the road is straight and flat and 4-6 lanes.

Just my 2cents
SSBN624Gold NUC Engineering
ItsThe2ofUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:44 PM   #5

That is definitely the nicest route. Will take a little longer but worth the drive time. 15 up through Idaho is fastest.
Dhall404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:08 PM   #6

Great information my friends.
We won't be any rush and do enjoy the nice roads away from the freeways a bit.
It looks like it quite scenic so that's what makes my driving easier to see more than just a freeway.

It will be a week day and looking at it closer Heber Utah will be a nice town to stop for lunch then on to Evanston WY for the night.
Thanks All!
Old 05-29-2020, 01:42 PM   #7

Don't know about the route but wanted to say that if you have never been to Jackson Hole the city has a nice parking lot a few blocks (walking distance from the town square) We have a 32' class C and they have free R V parking in this lot
mltranch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltranch1 View Post
Don't know about the route but wanted to say that if you have never been to Jackson Hole the city has a nice parking lot a few blocks (walking distance from the town square) We have a 32' class C and they have free R V parking in this lot
Thanks for the information. We have reservations for 3 nights in Jackson Hole at the Virginian RV Park ($$$) WIFI, Cable TV so we are happy. We also made reservations for the Bar-T5 ranch BBQ and show.

Now we just have to wait a few weeks but I'm ready to roll now!
Old 05-29-2020, 02:16 PM   #9

If it's open you might like dining at the Gun Barrel restaurant in Jackson. It isn't open till around 1730hrs daily. If you like game fare their Velvet Elk and/or Elk Chop is really good. It is close to The Virginian where you are staying. Reservations highly recommended. They do have dine in/take out but dine in is memorable. Of course this is just one individuals opinion. Must stop in the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar, downtown Jackson just to saddle up (literally) to the bar for just one brew. Don't know when Jackson will have the daily street shootouts this year. Lots of picture/video taking opportunities in and around the Jackson Hole/Grand Teton area.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
If it's open you might like dining at the Gun Barrel restaurant in Jackson. It isn't open till around 1730hrs daily. If you like game fare their Velvet Elk and/or Elk Chop is really good. It is close to The Virginian where you are staying. Reservations highly recommended. They do have dine in/take out but dine in is memorable. Of course this is just one individuals opinion. Must stop in the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar, downtown Jackson just to saddle up (literally) to the bar for just one brew. Don't know when Jackson will have the daily street shootouts this year. Lots of picture/video taking opportunities in and around the Jackson Hole/Grand Teton area.
Thanks bubbles for the suggestions.
Everything is open up in Jackson Hole with appropriate distancing.
Yes already have reservations for the Gun Barrel restaurant on the 3rd night.
Never been to the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar but know where its located near the center of town.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2020, 03:49 PM   #11

This is the 2nd part of my route from Utah to Jackson Hole WY.
Never travelled this route but seems to be an easy day drive for me.

Any information from anyone who has travelled this route?
I know its 2 lane with small hills but that's it.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Annotation 2020-05-29 134611.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	230177  
Old 05-29-2020, 04:03 PM   #12

I have been on all of those roads many times and can assure you that you have chosen the best and most scenic route. By avoiding I80 from Salt Lake up the Parleys' Canyon grade you have eliminated one of the hardest, longest, pulls in the country. Since you are not in a hurry I would consider heading east just past Heber on US 40 towards Kamas and then take the Mirror Lake Hwy (150) all the way to Evanston. It is a well maintained two lane through some of the most beautiful areas of the Uinta mountains.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:09 PM   #13

Looks pretty good.. here is what I got off Mountain Directory guide...

9. SALT RIVER PASS elev. 7610'

(on US 89 south of Afton and Smoot, WY)

Salt River Pass is about the same on the north slope as it is on the south slope. It is a good two lane road with 50 mph speed limit. At the summit there is a brake check turnout on both sides of the road. The south slope is fairly steady 7% grade for about 3½ miles with ample warning signs. The north slope is 7% for 3 miles with warning signs.

We used 189, no elevation or grade warnings on Mountain Directory

Old 05-29-2020, 04:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco52 View Post
I have been on all of those roads many times and can assure you that you have chosen the best and most scenic route. By avoiding I80 from Salt Lake up the Parleys' Canyon grade you have eliminated one of the hardest, longest, pulls in the country. Since you are not in a hurry I would consider heading east just past Heber on US 40 towards Kamas and then take the Mirror Lake Hwy (150) all the way to Evanston. It is a well maintained two lane through some of the most beautiful areas of the Uinta mountains.
Thanks rocco52 for the information. We will have to pass up the alternate route you suggested to Evanston WY as that day will be over 300 miles for us.
That's a full day for us so maybe next time.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:33 PM   #15

Ok, I get it...

Old 05-29-2020, 11:44 PM   #16

We did the north half of that last September. From roughly Heber City north to I-80. Only we did go west on I-80 into Salt Lake City. We stopped at Olympic Park to see the Winter Olympic facilities. Scenic drive and I know it would be worth it to avoid Salt Lake City. Mid day traffic all around Salt Lake City with a MH is crazy. Cannot imagine what its like around rush hour. We wanted to go to Great Salt Lake for a lunch break and gave up. We headed south on I-15 to go to Zion National Park. I-15 all the way to Provo was very busy.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:05 PM   #17

I have driven it before. It is a decent drive through the hills of southern WY. The Walmart in Evanston was a good place to restock.
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:40 PM   #18
rbq

If you want to miss SLC then this is route to travel. Mostly 4 lane higway or freeway until you get to Evanston and then it's 2 lane for part of the trip. Very scenic route & like previously mentioned you miss the climb up Parley's canyon on I-80 out of SLC. Mind you speed limit in Evanston.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:44 PM   #19
rbq

Want some history of one site on that route. Find the movie on streaming service called: The Cokeville Miracle. It's worth the watch & something to think about as you drive through Cokeville.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttimerstraint View Post
I have driven it before. It is a decent drive through the hills of southern WY. The Walmart in Evanston was a good place to restock.
Thank you for that information.
We will use that Walmart to stock up for the next 10 days in Jackson Hole, Tetons and W Yellowstone.

Tags
jacks, utah