Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2022, 09:58 PM   #1

Rt 2 or 200/89 in Montana

In a couple of week I’ll be traveling to Apgar/West Glacier, MT from the Glendive area. The two most logical routes are Rt 2 from Wolf Point, or MT 200 from Circle to 89 in Great Falls.

I know Rt 2 till Fort Peck area. After that, pretty much nothing. I know 200S to Circle, anything afterwards, nothing.

I know both routes are desolate, sparse and far-between amenities, and can be littered with road suicide killers. Lol. (Deer, elk, pronghorn)

Gas stations, roadside attractions, and whatever else is of no concern. Both routes have plenty of stops distance wise for appropriate fuel stops.

Question; Who has taken one or the other routes (or both) lately, and what is your opinion or recommendation of the particular route?
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:05 AM   #2

We just travelled RT2 across that area a few weeks ago and it was a good drive. Road was in good shape, and plenty of places to get fuel or food.

As an extra note, if you are planning to go to St Mary or go to the Many Glacier area I would recommend NOT going Rt 89 from Browning to St Mary, it is under major construction and there are dirt sections that were muddy when we went up through. Go north out of Browning on Duck Lake Road and come out on Rt89 near Babb. It is a good road which will keep you out of the dirt or mud. If you are going into that area from West Glacier via Going too the Sun Road the construction won’t matter.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote