Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2022, 10:46 PM   #1

Rt 240 at Badlands National Park

Hi,
is it safe to drive rt 240 at Badlands National Park with 36' long bumper pull camper? How long it will take to drive entire loop? Will be going in middle of July to Hill City, SD.
Thanks in advance.
2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, Duramax,CC,LB,DRW, 3:73
2016 Ram Laramie 3500, Cummins,CC,LB DRW, 4:10
GMCdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCdiesel View Post
Hi,
is it safe to drive rt 240 at Badlands National Park with 36' long bumper pull camper? How long it will take to drive entire loop? Will be going in middle of July to Hill City, SD.
Thanks in advance.
Back in 2019 we drove the Badlands NP loop (RT240) in our 36' Class A towing our car and had no problems. It is an easy drive 30-40 miles from the NP entrance (south of Wall, SD on RT240) to the exit at Catus Flats back to I-90. We drove it (west to east) in late June and the scenic pull-off were easy to get in and out of. The park was not crowded when we drove thru. Time to travel it will depend on your speed and how often you stop and for how long. I think we drove it (with stops) in about 2 hours.
Safe Travels.
-Russ

Photos of Badland Loop drive
2019 F150 Screw, 6.5 bed, 3.5 Twin Turbo EcoBoost
w/ Trailer Tow Package - Yellow Sticker Payload : 1810 lbs.
RGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:29 AM   #3

Just drove that about 3 weeks ago. You shouldn't have any trouble pulling your trailer.

How long? Depends on how much traffic there is the day you do it. We took almost 4 hours but we pulled into almost every overlook and spent some time in them. Be aware that there is several miles of road construction going on near the visitor center. Traffic when we were there was reduced to one lane and traffic backed up for 1/2 - 1 mile.

Don't forget Wall Drug. IMO, it is a must see stop. We had breakfast there. Just wandering thru it all can take several hours (and is worth it). I would schedule a whole day for the Badlands plus Wall Drug.
Old 06-22-2022, 10:16 PM   #4
Herschel

We drove our TT that is 32-ft through back in 2019 without any trouble. We, also, enjoyed camping at the RV campground in Interior just outside the park. The little town was charming; turned out the little general store there had Southern Comfort. Nuff said!
Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 01:23 PM   #5
D W

I guess that loop has changed quite a bit. The last time we were there in July 1989 the roads and turns were very narrow, especially around the rocks. Many times we'd have to stop to let an oncoming driver negotiate the road. It was hot that day and we decided to wait closer to the start of sundown when it was cooler. That was a bad idea. We found out that as the sun goes down the snakes head for the heat of the pavement. Snakes all over the road! It almost looked like the road was moving. My boys thought it was neat, my bride not so much! Been to Wall Drug three times. It's a hoot! Left a lot of money there.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:20 PM   #6

Badlands Wall

South of Wall (Drug) is an area where you can park on "the wall" and spend the night. Well worth it. The biggest issue you have is that not all viewing areas have adequate parking for long rigs, something to consider, early in the day is best.
Don't forget the donuts from wall drug, awesome.
retiredintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:40 PM   #7
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredintexas View Post
South of Wall (Drug) is an area where you can park on "the wall" and spend the night. Well worth it. The biggest issue you have is that not all viewing areas have adequate parking for long rigs, something to consider, early in the day is best.
Don't forget the donuts from wall drug, awesome.
The best food I had at Wall Drug was the 8 oz buffalo rib-eye steak. Best steak I ever had. My kids always enjoyed the giant buffalo burgers. One of the few times I saw them eat everything on their plates, and then they wanted ice cream!
Old 06-23-2022, 05:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongold View Post
Just drove that about 3 weeks ago. You shouldn't have any trouble pulling your trailer.

How long? Depends on how much traffic there is the day you do it. We took almost 4 hours but we pulled into almost every overlook and spent some time in them. Be aware that there is several miles of road construction going on near the visitor center. Traffic when we were there was reduced to one lane and traffic backed up for 1/2 - 1 mile.

Don't forget Wall Drug. IMO, it is a must see stop. We had breakfast there. Just wandering thru it all can take several hours (and is worth it). I would schedule a whole day for the Badlands plus Wall Drug.

We went to the Badlands in fall of 20, but didn't stop at the Wall Drug. after seeing those signs for miles I just thought it was a tourist trap, and we were on a day trip from Sturgis. Since so many things in Black Hills were closed due to covid, I want to go back to that area again. This time I won't pass up the Wall Drug store
Old 06-23-2022, 07:15 PM   #9

Fall of 2019 31 foot class "C" It was cold and wet. Paved road was fine. Got into some scary muddy ruts on on of the "gravel" side roads. Mud was still caked on the undercarriage when we got back to New York.
aldermanjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:38 AM   #10
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1acguy View Post
We went to the Badlands in fall of 20, but didn't stop at the Wall Drug. after seeing those signs for miles I just thought it was a tourist trap, and we were on a day trip from Sturgis. Since so many things in Black Hills were closed due to covid, I want to go back to that area again. This time I won't pass up the Wall Drug store
It is a "tourist trap", but it is also an experience you won't forget. We still have Wall Drug refrigerator magnets on our refrigerator from decades ago that refresh our travel memories daily. Hey, one good thing about Wall Drug, the ice water is always free!