Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2019, 08:56 PM   #1

RV parks near Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone

Looking for suggestions on campgrounds near Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone for August. We have a 378XL and wil be towing a Honda CRV. We would also like to see the Grand Tetons. We will be leaving Sioux Falls and heading west.
After leaving the we are heading south to the Grand Canyon.
Any other suggestions on where to go and see would be appreciated.
I thought about posting it here because of what other larger motorhome owners have done.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:03 PM   #2

West Yellowstone: Grizzly RV Resort in West Yellowstone and about 1/2 mile from the west entrance.
A bit expensive but worth it.

https://grizzlyrv.com/

Lots of playgrounds for the kids also and lots to eat and buy junk in town instead of within the park itself.
Park takes at least 3 to 4 days to see everything the first time.
Make reservations for campground as soon as you know when you will be there.
Fills up fast and you show up with no reservations sorry no luck.

You can drive your RV into the Yellowstone National park on the west entrance and drive to the south entrance which is where you will hit the Grand Tetons. I have stayed in Colter bay Campground in Grand Teton NP.
Then continue south to Jackson Hole then south to Utah and Las Vegas the Arizona and the Grand Canyon.

https://www.gtlc.com/camping/colter-bay-campground

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suggestion for Arizona and the Grand Canyon is all I can suggest:
Grand Canyon Railroad RV park is located off of I-40 just south of the Grand Canyon and located in Williams Arizona.
Best campground with everything you need. Full hookup, Wifi , Cable TV etc.
They have a really nice full service restaurant that is in conjunction with the hotel there.

The reason the call it the Railroad RV Resort is because they have the steam and diesel trains that can take you to the south rim of the Grand Canyon. They have bus tours at the Grand Canyon as well as lunch and you return to the end of the line in the late afternoon and you walk back to your RV.
For first timers this is the only way to see everything and ride on a real old steam engine railroad.
Prices vary but all car are air conditioned and I would think about taking the observation car going in so you can see all around before you get to the Grand Canyon.
Each direction is about 30 miles I think and takes about an hour each direction.

At the end of the line at the Grand Canyon you can jump onto a large bus that will take you to all the look out and stops and lets you take pictures.

After all that it takes you back to the Grand Canyon village and you can get a box lunch (part of the tour bus) or get something on your own.

The train then leaves about 3;30 PM or so for the relaxing trip back to the campground.
The train has drinks and snakes and gets robbed by the bad guys on the way back. Kids love that. The bad guys ride horse along the train route just like in the movies then come aboard and you can take pictures of them with the kids.

Here is the link to the campground and you can also make reservations for the train all in the same place. (by Phone)

https://www.thetrain.com/

If you have any other questions about Arizona ask away.

Thanks all I can tell you at this time.
Enjoy your vacation.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:28 PM   #3

Here's one to check out for Rushmore. We stayed there for 7 years during the bike rally at Sturgis.

Mount Rushmore Resort at Palmer Gulch | Mount Rushmore KOA | Palmer Gulch Lodge Palmer Gulch
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:29 PM   #4

Grizzly RV park in west Yellowstone was great!!!
Old 03-06-2019, 10:39 PM   #5

I would not stay here to access Yellowstone but I would spend a day or two at buffalo bill state park just outside of cody. It is great and you can catch the rodeo in cody. Best view from a campground I have had. Sites on the north shore are not very level but enough to setup.

West Yellowstone grizzley RV park looked nice but we didnt stay there.

Enjoy the trip!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:22 PM   #6

Grizzly is a great place for west Yellowstone. Depending how long you are there I would suggest staying on the other side of Yellowstone also. Yellowstone is huge and it would help you see the east side easier. I wish we would have. Colter Bay is an excellent choice for Grand Tetons. It is right on the park. Very convenient. We stayed in the trailer village at grand canyon. Also very convenient. You can hop on bus and get most places in the main part of park. Get reservations as soon as you can as these places can fill up fast especially in the national parks.
LarrysPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Here's one to check out for Rushmore. We stayed there for 7 years during the bike rally at Sturgis.

Mount Rushmore Resort at Palmer Gulch | Mount Rushmore KOA | Palmer Gulch Lodge Palmer Gulch

If you need cell or data service, this is not the place to stay... With a booster, I had marginal cell service only. The park is large, so WiFi is spotty at best.

Would I stay there again, maybe, but there are other options I would try first. I would still stop by for a horse ride in the forest...
Old 03-07-2019, 02:08 PM   #8

Agree with with grizzly rv resort in west Yellowstone. 2-3 min drive to the entrance of the park.
Near Rushmore, rafter j was a campground we really liked.
Raskw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:19 PM   #9

make sure to get reservations in early for Grizzly RV resort they fill up fast. I've always stayed at the Custer KOA in the Black Hills nice park and near Custer State Park.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:37 PM   #10

Rafter J Bar Ranch is an absolutely fabulous place to stay near Mt. Rushmore. It's a huge ranch property with small "islands" of camp sites. Just gorgeous.

If you're going to be in the Grand Canyon area, it would be a shame not to hit Zion NP while you're there, it's 3.5 hrs away depending on where you're staying at the Grand Canyon. Zion is AMAZING.
Tom Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
Looking for suggestions on campgrounds near Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone for August. We have a 378XL and wil be towing a Honda CRV. We would also like to see the Grand Tetons. We will be leaving Sioux Falls and heading west.
After leaving the we are heading south to the Grand Canyon.
Any other suggestions on where to go and see would be appreciated.
I thought about posting it here because of what other larger motorhome owners have done.
I agree with Grizzly for Yellowstone. For other places on the way to the Grand Canyon may I suggest southern Utah. We stayed near Monticello at a park I can not remember. However, there is SO MUCH to see you won't see the RV park much! With your CRV I would do Canyonlands and the White Rim road, at least down to Potash. Arches is excellent as well. The views are magnificent! Then there is monument Valley, Valley of the Gods, 4 corners, more dinosaur museums, native American dwellings than you can shake a stick at. We absolutely love the desert southwest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual Sport 089.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	503.2 KB
ID:	198238   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0384.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	198239  
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:48 PM   #12

You have to go see Custer Last Stand park and Beartooth Highway and Top Of The World then go thru Dayton to Big Horn Canyon? To Powell to Cody Wyoming and see the William Cody gun museum it is amazing . Also be sure to stop at Sheridan Wyoming and Eat at Buffalo Bill’s Restaurant at Sheridan Inn and also in Cody at Irma’s Bar and Hotel! All the prime rib you can eat and thickest best blueberry pie I have ever had! Also if going first week in August you have to checkout Sturgis and spend a day looking around also! Devils Tower filmed in close Encounters also Crazy Horse Statue in Blackhills and Needles Highway and Spearfish Canyon. Also when starting be sure to stop Corn Pallace and at Walls Drugs and go into Badlands across the street and take it to Scenic South Dakota and stop at the bar and 4 businesses there! An outside jail cell is great for photo ops! Right next to entrance to Pineridge Indian Reservation . From there a straight shot to Rapid City and Mt Rushmore Also stop by Bear world pretty cool also. Drive through park
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:07 PM   #13

We liked Grizzly in West Yellowstone. Stayed at Flintstone Bedrock City when stopping at mt Rushmore, it was fine not much wifi. We did have deer walking through the camp in the morning. We stayed at Colter Bay at Grand Teton national , it was just ok but not sure what other options exist. Headed to Grand canyon this year and planning on staying at trailer village in the park. Been a few years ago and I think too much too see for 1 day and too much traffic to stay outside of the park. Good Luck!!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:10 PM   #14

We are heading to Yellowstone in early/mid June, driving through Jackson Hole (staying at Virginia Lodge RV) then to Tetons (Staying at Headwaters RV) then up through the park into West Yellowstone (staying at Grizzly RV). Sounds like we made the right decision with Grizzly from all the comments I'm reading!! Never been to any of these places before but they all got great reviews! Good luck & have a safe trip!
fr3lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:12 PM   #15
CampItOut

I agree, stayed at B.B. SP for 3 nights and is a very nice CG. Close to Cody and there is plenty to do in Cody, especially the Museum and the firearm display there is amazing.
campitout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskw99 View Post
Agree with with grizzly rv resort in west Yellowstone. 2-3 min drive to the entrance of the park.
Near Rushmore, rafter j was a campground we really liked.
That's another nice park. I don't care about Wi-Fi or any of that, so Palmer Gulch didn't bother us.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:33 PM   #17

My Rushmore

We've stayed at the Happy Holiday RV Park, it's on hwy 16 between Rapid City and My Rushmore. It was a nice park.
Timan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:55 PM   #18

Custer State Park near MT Rushmore is great.
You need to get reservations though.

Pretty popular.
CDRJML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Langley View Post
Rafter J Bar Ranch is an absolutely fabulous place to stay near Mt. Rushmore. It's a huge ranch property with small "islands" of camp sites. Just gorgeous.
X2 on Rafter J Bar Ranch. We stayed there for a week last year. It's beautiful and has a nice central location just outside Hill City.
Mark Ulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3lisa View Post
We are heading to Yellowstone in early/mid June, driving through Jackson Hole (staying at Virginia Lodge RV) then to Tetons (Staying at Headwaters RV) then up through the park into West Yellowstone (staying at Grizzly RV). Sounds like we made the right decision with Grizzly from all the comments I'm reading!! Never been to any of these places before but they all got great reviews! Good luck & have a safe trip!
In Jackson Hole heading north in the Tetons make sure you clean your front windshield so you can take in the full 180 degree views clearly.
Also entering Yellowstone from the south entrance then driving thru the park and out the west entrance to west Yellowstone is a quick idea what you will come back in and see later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camping 102.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	198246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camping 103.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	496.5 KB
ID:	198247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camping 025.jpg
Views:	117