Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #1

San Juan Islands, Washington

Already planning for our next year (2011) vacations.

I am planning a trip to the San Juan Islands and I am looking for a RV park with full hookups, it seems to be scarce due to the ferry trip to the islands, I have found a couple without hookups, some with electric and water, but none yet with full.

If anyone has any suggestions or experience please chime in.

Our intended trip would be about 10 days and the primary recreation I am seeking will be kayaking on the Haro Straight near Roche Harbor, hopefully to see some orcas.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:56 PM   #2

Wow, tall order I think. I don't know much of what is available on the islands themselves. I would tend to think more of staying on the mainland (Whidbey Island, Anacortes) and just take the ferry across for day trips. I think we discussed it before but can't remember but Kayaking around Deception Pass is AWESOME! There is a really nice state park there but you will absolutely need reservations there as with many of the other parks in the area. There are several RV parks in the Anacortes area that get mixed reviews. I know I would absolutely not stay at the Washington Park campground which is City of Anacortes owned and operated.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:06 AM   #3
Jan Goldfield

Check Lakedale and Snug Harbor. I know that Snug Harbor used to have some campsites, they may still. I know Lakedale does, but don't know the occupancy rates. Ferry rates have risen dramatically in the past years, so daily trips could get a bit pricy.
Whidby has a fantastic state park, tho, and might make the day trips doable.
You could check surrounding islands like Orcas and see what they offer. Ferry service is good between the islands.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:51 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
San Juan Islands

Was there last August, what beauty. It is hard to believe the Islands are pert of the US. We stayed on the mainland, commuted back and forth each day. Got a very early start each day for three days. Stayed in Everett, WA.
was not RVing at the time. Being retired from the Navy, stayed at the Navy lodge in Everett.

Look out for the state motorcycle patrol on I-5 . They have a tendency to park their motorcycle in front of a stopped vehicle in the break down lanes, using a handheld laser to test your speed by standing just in front of the stopped vehicle.

And by the way, They have a Rain festival that runs from January 1 st to December 31 st.

Have a nice trip.

Sid HRH Daisy
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
Jan Goldfield

We have also stayed at the Everett Navy Lodge many times. I find it a great accommodation, but quite a drive to Anacortes. The ferry lines are long, so a good part of the day can be spent in the parking lots. But my favorite place in the universe is SJI.
Thankfully, we have friends there so during our next visit, we can hook up at a house near FH.
Before we sold it, we had a condo on Tucker Street and loved it.

2009 Ford 150
Old 08-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #6

Nwjeeper, yes you mentioned Deception pass before, that may end up being our destination,

Pondlady, Snug Harbor does not have any hookups, I spoke with them a couple of days ago, Lakedale has water and electricity, no sewer, Lakedale right now is a big contender for us to stay at, the guy at Snug Harbor said Lakedale is the only campsite on the island with hookups, they are also on a couple of small lakes.

West Beach on Orcas Island also say they have water and electric, but no sewer.

Daisy, I am not opposed to camping on the mainland and using the ferry for transportation to the island, we are planning to spend a daytrip with one of the local kayak expedition companies, they all have transportation from the ferry terminal in Friday Harbor. My past experience with the Washington State Ferry, walk on transportation is quite simple.

I have checked the ferry prices for pulling a travel trailer, I estimate $300 for my rig and 5 passengers, not cheep, but if I budget for it then it's not out of the question, It's just an hour or two of good gas mileage and relaxing instead of driving.

I appreciate the responses, any suggestions are appreciated, this is why I usually begin planning a year in advance for trips like this
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:00 AM   #7
Jan Goldfield

I love walk-on for the ferries. You can rent a motor scooter right up Spring St just about at the ferry landing. And if you walk on, there is no waiting.

2009 Ford 150

Tags
kayaking