Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2016, 06:06 PM   #1

Seattle Area to Visit Friends Thanksgiving

Well, this is the plan. To pack up the 4 pups and kitty and head out to see friends in Ruston, WA. We are starting to make plans to leave Tuesday, November 22 to be there by the 24th. Head back by 26th to be home (work)by the 28th. We were going to do this for wifes Birthday, but not enough time.

We hate the 5 taking you straight thru California, but love staying at Durango RV Resort in Red Bluff.

Can we still make good time taking the 101 and cutting across to Red Bluff? At least be able to get "some" scenery in part of the trip? Anyone done this?

Can anyone recommend decent RV Resorts or Koa along the coast?

Going in our (new to us) 2009 FR Lexington GTS 255DS. Any input would be helpful.
Mac964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:52 PM   #2
Learning a lot as I go...

Where are you starting from? How big is your rig? What is your frame of reference (I grew up on 2 lane twisty mountain roads so...)?

Highway 101 is relatively good for most of the state but some of the crossing points are definitely NOT RV friendly (such as CA 36).

You can do fairly well on CA 20 next to Clearlake (but doing a bit of north/south backtracking).

Targeting Red Bluff takes CA 299 out of the picture not to mention that it can feel like a very long way from Eureka to Redding (and that you go way north to Eureka so you can go way south to Redding).

I would not look forward to US 101 through the Bay Area though unless you either like traffic or drive at very dark off hours.

Another option would be US 101 all the way to Crescent City and then CA 199 up to Grants Pass. This takes you through all of the Redwood Country.

Places to camp are going to really depend on details of your travel range and starting point.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:33 PM   #3

We have a 2009 FR Lexington 255ds with 31k on it. Getting this coming weekend.
Starting point: Ventura, CA
Time Frame: Leaving November 22 to be with friends in Gig Harbor, Ruston WA for Thanksgiving.

Four dogs:
Danny Boy 9 yr Golden Retriever
Ms. Ivy 3 yo Terrier Mix
Kami and Klaus: bonded pair Yorkie Rescues and....
the Cat..Sammie, 5 months old and new to alllll of this.

oh..and the wife! Can't forget THE Wife!!
Mac964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:37 PM   #4
Learning a lot as I go...

So Ventura to Ruston is over 1100 miles
Leaving 11/22 and in Ruston by 11/24 so 2 days to get there

Given your trip distance and timing parameters... it seems like you are not going to spend enough time stopped anywhere to worry much about where you stop. Just sayin'

I suppose one approach would be to head up US 101 planning on spending the night at the Benbow KOA in Garberville. This is the south end of the Avenue of the Giants. So you can start the next morning in the daylight to do the scenic drive through the redwoods here. This is also about the halfway point on your drive.

Once you are on US 101 here you are probably best just continuing up US 101 to CA 199 to Grants Pass. This will take you through more redwoods in the Crescent City area. Lots to see here if you had more time.

You can come back home via I5 and spend the night in Red Bluff/Durango RV Resort
Old 09-15-2016, 12:50 AM   #5

With that many miles you might want to consider staying at a Walmart, Home Depot, truck stop, etc. You will not have to kill any time checking in/out. You also have the choice of more than one stop per day. When I did a 6K mile run from NY to WA and back, I would start a bit before dawn, then take a 1 or 2 hour snooze at a rest stop or Walmart sometime in the afternoon, then continue until about 10PM.

Being able to rest my back and my eyes really helped.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:54 PM   #6

Welcome in advance to Gig Harbor. Ruston is only 15 minutes away.
Can't advise you about the coast, except we took one of those narrow twisty roads between I-5 and 101 in northern CA in a Class B and it was--memorable. I wouldn't have wanted to do it in a larger, heavier rig.

Sounds like you have local family and friends once you get here. But if you do have questions, please ask.

Linda
PNWTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:00 PM   #7

Ah...

I just re-read your dates. OMG.
That's a lot of driving in what could be unpleasant weather for a short stay.
Good luck to you.
PNWTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:10 PM   #8
Mature Citizen

Trip up North

We have driven South along 101 all the way from Washington to the LA area twice and you really don't have the time to do that. Even driving along I5 the entire trip will be a challenge with the time you have. We drove I5 from Sacramento to Seattle last year and the roads were great and you will make good time but it is still a long way to go. We drove South on I5 this spring from Seattle to Long Beach and it took three good eight-hour days to do it. But, I only drive 60mph. Good luck and have a fun and safe trip.

Darlene, Ralph and Pippin
LTC (USA Retired), W7TLD
2023 - 199 days, 6966 miles
2013 - 2019 - 901 days & 37171 miles
2013 Georgetown XL 378 TS, 2014 Honda CRV
downeyr is offline   Reply With Quote