Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Paulina & Eric
 
SoCalCouple's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 13
Southern California Camping ... Ideas?

We have camped all over Northern California and just completed a cross country trip from California to Key West. We are relocating to the Santa Barbara area and would like any ideas for weekend trips in SoCal. Any good beach spots?
__________________

__________________
SoCalCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
showtime0022's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 202
Doheny state beach.... Very hard to get a spot!
__________________

showtime0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
Site Team
 
Terier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime0022 View Post
Doheny state beach.... Very hard to get a spot!
Dohney SB has spots right on the beach but this CG is packed full especially during peak periods. Sites are small and close to together but a great place for kids.

SoCal beach campgrounds are mostly on bluffs and without hookups. There are some CGs like Dohney that are on the beach. Most sites are real close together. Check ReserveAmerica for campgrounds information.

El Capitan SB (North of Santa Barbara) The beach is only a few minutes walk from campsite. I love this place and going back in mid June.

Silver Strand SB

San Elijo SB - Hookups at selected sites.

Bolsa Chico SB

South Carlsbad SB -Bluffs - limited sites have full hookups pending.

San Clemente SB -Bluffs - selected sites with full hookups & some sites have partial ocean view.

Crystal Cove Moro - newer park - no shade. Selected sites have W & E - dump station.
__________________
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 133
Just got from San Clemente State Beach. Highly recommended. Full hookup.
tntrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 198
El Capitan SB. Good sites great location. 1/2 hour from SB
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
Site Team
 
Terier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10,015
As much as I love full hookups at San Clemente SB right now I'm at El Capitan SB and loving it! I selected the RV sites that used to be the over flow parking. No table or fire pit but you can bring your own. ReserveAmercia lists the sites as pull throughs but are parell parking sites. I'm in site #124 which has the ocean view. Good amount of open space between the site and the bike trail. Due to being originailly overflow parking these sites are paved.

Down side is on going construction in area - building restrooms and showers. Noise level is not bad at all - less than most neighbors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG01725-20120620-1434.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	15537
__________________
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
4FROGGERS
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Palmdale
Posts: 11
Emma wood state beach

Emma wood state beach just north of ventura.. No hook ups. not too bad
right on beach.
4FROGGERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:16 AM   #8
Southwestern Newbie
 
Misterdanderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mesa, Az
Posts: 47
Sweetwater County Campground San Diego. Partial hookups, good price, great views especially along western edge of camp.
__________________
2006 Flagstaff M-23lb with triple bunk.
2004 Dodge Durango SLT 2wd; Yeah, it's got a Hemi.
100 watt solar kit with Trojan AGM Series 31 pending
Misterdanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
Site Team
 
Terier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10,015
Just got back from Crystal Cove Moro in Laguna Beach and I can't wait to go back again.

Pros:
Each section is tier level which provide a view of the ocean & sites are good size - some bigger than others especially end caps sites. This is a pretty new campground so the bathrooms & showers are nice to use. Water & electric available at selected sites, 3 dump stations close to exit. Beach is nice with soft sand, not rocky like some of our beaches. Sites are clearly marked with rope. Due to tier levels people do not take short cuts through your site. Fireworks are visible from your campsite on the 4th of July.

Cons:
Price is not cheap. No sewer hook up. Steep hill to beach - recommend driving unless you are a kid. No wood fire allowed. Gate closed/locked at 10pm. Check-in is 3pm but check-out is 1pm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Back view of campsite & tier levels IMG01861-20120705-1802.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	16224

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ocean view from campsite IMG01867-20120706-1159.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	16225

Click image for larger version

Name:	View of tier level  IMG01801-20120703-1857.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	16226

I'm going back in February.
__________________
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Just got back from Crystal Cove Moro in Laguna Beach and I can't wait to go back again.

Pros:
Each section is tier level which provide a view of the ocean & sites are good size - some bigger than others especially end caps sites. This is a pretty new campground so the bathrooms & showers are nice to use. Water & electric available at selected sites, 3 dump stations close to exit. Beach is nice with soft sand, not rocky like some of our beaches. Sites are clearly marked with rope. Due to tier levels people do not take short cuts through your site. Fireworks are visible from your campsite on the 4th of July.

Cons:
Price is not cheap. No sewer hook up. Steep hill to beach - recommend driving unless you are a kid. No wood fire allowed. Gate closed/locked at 10pm. Check-in is 3pm but check-out is 1pm.

Attachment 16224

Attachment 16225

Attachment 16226

I'm going back in February.
How many nights did you stay there?
tntrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #11
Site Team
 
Terier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10,015
At Crystal Cove Moro? 3 nights - I picked up late reservations for the 4th & 5th of July after someone cancelled. Then there were an opening for the 3rd at a different site but I went ahead and took it. Even with moving to another site it was worth it to have camp set up early on the holiday. The first site was a bit harder to get into but the second site was pretty easy - seemed bigger too.
__________________
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
At Crystal Cove Moro? 3 nights - I picked up late reservations for the 4th & 5th of July after someone cancelled. Then there were an opening for the 3rd at a different site but I went ahead and took it. Even with moving to another site it was worth it to have camp set up early on the holiday. The first site was a bit harder to get into but the second site was pretty easy - seemed bigger too.

Very nice. I am trying to get reservation there for just one night
tntrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #13
Site Team
 
Terier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntrac View Post
Very nice. I am trying to get reservation there for just one night
There is a way to create a "notice" in case an opening occurs but it's first come first serves get it.

I would think the cooler months would be a bit easier but keep checking the site because that's how I got my sites for the 4th of July holiday.
__________________
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
There is a way to create a "notice" in case an opening occurs but it's first come first serves get it.

I would think the cooler months would be a bit easier but keep checking the site because that's how I got my sites for the 4th of July holiday.

I got a reservation for one night there (saturday) ending Oct. Coyote loop 1, site 016. I think its next to the restroom

Terier,

How do you like the Tundra? What is the mpg without towing?

I bought a 2012 tacoma 7 months ago. I had never planned to pull a trailer or else I would have gotten the Tundra 5.7.

I will need to trade up when the all new 2014 Tundra comes out

Right now, I am pulling a 22' trailer about 3900 dry weight.
tntrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #15
Site Team
 
Terier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10,015
It is next to the restrooms/showers. I stayed in #17 on the other side of the restrooms/showers and liked it. You might notice more people that I did from site 16. You are also close to the trash bin that are next to site 17. You also don't have to climb stairs when going to the showers. Once other RVs are in their sites the campground has a different look to it.

I will be going to back to site 17 in February for my birthday. And I want to return for the 4th of July hoilday too.

You should like this campground. There's a killer hill to the beach so I recommend driving down. If you walk it I bet that you will only do it once....

My commute to work is mostly through a 25 mph residential area with lots of stop signs. I don't remember what the MPG is for daily driving but guessing - maybe 15-16? Towing I average about 11.5-12. On a trip to Las Vegas (not towing) I was getting 20-21 mpg.
__________________
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
It is next to the restrooms/showers. I stayed in #17 on the other side of the restrooms/showers and liked it. You might notice more people that I did from site 16. You are also close to the trash bin that are next to site 17. You also don't have to climb stairs when going to the showers. Once other RVs are in their sites the campground has a different look to it.

I will be going to back to site 17 in February for my birthday. And I want to return for the 4th of July hoilday too.

You should like this campground. There's a killer hill to the beach so I recommend driving down. If you walk it I bet that you will only do it once....

My commute to work is mostly through a 25 mph residential area with lots of stop signs. I don't remember what the MPG is for daily driving but guessing - maybe 15-16? Towing I average about 11.5-12. On a trip to Las Vegas (not towing) I was getting 20-21 mpg.
I just hope we don't smell the trash bin Is that with a 5.7 or 4.6 tundra?
tntrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #17
Site Team
 
Terier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10,015
I couldn't smell the trashcan at all even when tossing out my trash and that was in July. How often the trash is picked up makes a big difference along with good maintenance. The park is new and they do a good job of keeping it nice.

My Tundra has the smaller 4.6 engine.
__________________

__________________
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 PM.


×