Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2019, 12:00 AM   #1

Suggested destinations in the Northwest?

Looking for a trip for this summer for at least a month. We live in southern Oregon. Have camped in CA, AZ, UT, CO, NV, OR, WA, WY, MT, SD, AK, BC, Yukon, Alberta.... Never RV'd in Idaho, so maybe a trip to Craters of the Moon?

Any other places we should see on that trip? Or maybe a different suggestion? Haven't done much in NM.

25' Forester MBS towing a Suzuki Sidekick 4 x 4. We usually dry camp unless it's really hot and we need A/C. We LOVE to explore off road. Also love history and museums, but mostly love scenic beauty. (The Canadian Rockies are AWESOME!)

Any suggestions? Keep in mind we've seen most of the usual suspects in all those places above.....
Old 02-23-2019, 12:56 AM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

New Mexico is awesome...but hot in the summer.

I think you should go the the upper peninsula of Michigan!

It will blow you away!

Not what most people think it is up there!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:08 AM   #3
Always Learning

Craters of the Moon was amazing! We stayed in Picabo, ID at Picabo Angler RV Park... the smallest town I’ve ever been in. 3 streets wide by 5 streets long. Post office/gas station/RV park office/grocery/restaurant/and fly shop all in one. Didn’t even have a traffic light.

From there, we went down to Shoshone Falls and even checked out the Ice Cave (not worth the money).

We also really enjoyed exploring Seattle, WA. Neat city. We especially enjoyed the Museum of Pop. We had a great dinner down the street from there.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:59 PM   #4
Site Team

Highway 20 over the North Cascades.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:01 AM   #5
Señor Member

Three words- City of Rocks (Idaho)

Also spend some time near the small town of Lava Hot Springs, ID and enjoy their city owned hot spring pools. Ahh...

We were quite surprised to find so much to do in the SE corner of Idaho. Who would have guessed?
Old 02-24-2019, 01:59 PM   #6
Dahagen

Craters of the Moon is interesting, and Idaho's only federal campground, except for 100's of Forest Service campgrounds. Some of those FS campgrounds near the Payette river system are great especially near Lowman. I live in Cascade and we have 9 state parks around Lake Cascade with many sites on the water. McCall has Ponderosa State Park on Payette Lake. Many of our parks fill up on summer weekends when the flatlanders from the Boise valley head for the mountains.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:26 PM   #7
Multi-Slacker

Tour New England. Lots of history and scenic beauty
Old 02-24-2019, 02:42 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Hi Rider
You definitely are well traveled. Congratulations. Not knowing what you have seen it's hard to suggest what you might have missed. How about a jet boat trip on the Snake River out of White Bird, ID. White Bird also was the first battle of the Nez Perce War and one can tour the grounds. At Twin Falls, ID you will see two beautiful waterfalls. Driving from Twin Falls to Salmon, ID via Challis, ID one sees lots of wonderful scenery. In northern Idaho is the lovely town of Coeur 'd Alane and further north is the quaint town of Sandpoint and Lake Pend Oreille. At Pocatello, ID you might enjoy visiting Fort Hall, which is a replica of a trading post built by Nathaniel Wyeth on the banks of the Snake River in 1834. The fort served westward bound emigrants traveling the Oregon Trail.
2020 - 162 Days and 5,359 Miles
2021 - 113 Days and 3,835 Miles
2022 - 35 Days and counting, and 3,372 Miles and counting
Hi Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:49 PM   #9

If you wish to visit Canada(before they build a wall) you might consider Wells Gray park. It has numerous beautiful waterfalls. And Glacier National park.
rbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
New Mexico is awesome...but hot in the summer.

I think you should go the the upper peninsula of Michigan!

It will blow you away!

Not what most people think it is up there!

A month would be a good amount of time to do a loop around Lake Superior. 2 states and a foreign country!
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:53 PM   #11
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
A month would be a good amount of time to do a loop around Lake Superior. 2 states and a foreign country!
True, although it would take more than a month just to do the UP alone!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:19 PM   #12

Ross Creek Giant Cedars Natural Area, Libby, Montana

A very beautiful self guided hike through a virgin growth of giant cedar trees.

If you google "large cedar trees in Idaho", there is a red cedar 3,000 years old and 177 ft high and a 18 ft diameter.

If you visit Sandpoint in the summer, there is a great hike up Mt. Schweitzer (ski resort) where we saw a mother bear and cub. This is a 2.5 mile up trail.
harleybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:28 PM   #13
Site Team

OP's thread title is "Suggested destinations in the Northwest?".
Not all of our suggestions fit his request.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:17 PM   #14

Medora and Teddy Roosevelt Park in North Dakota; Pompeis Pillar east of Billings; Devils
Tower; MT Rushmore;Jewel Cave; Wind Cave; Custer's Battlefield; Custer State Park in SD is really nice; National Bison Range north of Missoula.
A Few places that we enjoy.
CDRJML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:05 PM   #15

If you can figure how to fit it into your travel plan, take Hwy. 12 from Lewiston, ID to Lolo, MT. Spend a little time around Orofino, ID and Dworshak Reservoir as you pass thru.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #16

Don't miss Boeing's Museum of Aviation History just south of Sea-Tac airport. Plan on spending most of the day.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:34 AM   #17

I used to live in WA and travel to OR often from Nevada. My favorite place is still the eastern slope of the Cascades in WA, north of Ellensburg.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:42 AM   #18

So if you like peace and quiet and beauty, we stumbled on a Forest Service campground in Central Idaho called Meadow Lake campground. It is in the Challis Salmon National Forest and sits at 9100 ft.on a pristine alpine lake. No hook ups with little to do but absolutely gorgeous. Hiking, fishing and canoeing if you have a small non motorized boat. Be sure to stock up on groceries before you go. There is a ghost town at the base of the climb to get there. The dirt road was in good condition when we went but is 1 1/2 lane so quite hairy if you encounter another rv going up or coming down. I would not advise big rvs to go there. We have a 24 ft. trailer and had to back down to a turnout or wider part of the road to let another trailer by.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #19

I guess a lot of people don't know where the PNW is located.
I got tired of the rain when I lived around Seattle and Camano Island and started spending my time on the East Side of the Cascades. I really like Lake Chelan, the Methow Valley and Route 20. Sunnier, drier and not as crowded. Slate Peak, Hart Pass.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:00 PM   #20

Ppine makes a good case for going to campgrounds on the eastern slope of the Cascade Mountains, and I agree there are lots of great places to see and to visit. We have life-long friends in Yakima, and never venture there without spending a few days with them, and their children, and their grand-children.

However, the Seattle area in general is a vibrant, and historically significant part of our nation's heritage. I would never discourage anyone who intends to visit the Pacific Northwest from spending many days in the Seattle area. Traffic can be horrible, but a one day visit to the Boeing Museum of Aviation History can be a true revelation, if not life-changing!!

Seattle seafood dining is as good as it gets, anywhere, in the world!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote