Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2018, 06:53 PM   #1

Suggestions for RV Park Wyoming to Utah

Hi: We are planning our first mountain driving trip from MN to Yellowstone then to the Tetons - we have reservations at Morin Wy. (near Jackson Hole) Then we are heading to Moab Ut. Can anyone suggestion a route & campground between those 2 places? It seems hard to decide on a good route. We would have 2 days to camp so it would be nice to be somewhere with lots to see & do.

We are somewhat concerned with the drive since we have never been in any of these places.

Then we might head to see the Grand Canyon before heading back...keeping an eye of the weather!!!

Thanks so much for any help.
hrqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:15 PM   #2
Always Learning

It wasn’t “natural beauty”, but we absolutely loved Salt Lake City. I’d go there and recharge at the KOA for a couple of days before enjoying the remoteness of Moab!
Old 07-31-2018, 08:36 AM   #3

How hard is it to get into the koa at Salt Lake City? I thought I read a forum about traffic being bad around there? There just doesn't look like a better way to get down to Moab.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:59 AM   #4

I don't know how big your rig is but there is a nice KOA in Vernal Utah. Just run Hwy 191 south out of Hoback Junction. There are some steep grades up and down between Flaming Gorge and Vernal plus getting out of Vernal you either follow Hwy 191 which has a steep part getting over into Castle Gate UT. Or if you take Hwys 40-64-139 out through Dinosaur NP it is steep and windy on 139 up and over to I-70. Did that in 2010 with a popup.

This year I went to Alpine Wy. and south to Evanston Wy, Got on I-80 to SLC and south on I-15. The Provo KOA is really nice. From there turn at Spanish Fork and on down to Moab. Again that is a pretty good climb up and over Soldier Summit.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:07 AM   #5

lots and lots and lots of big open beautiful county. i'd be concerned with your statement of 2 days to camp. getting from moab to the grand canyon and back will take some time! only real way from moab is us-191 south through blanding to us 160 west to us 89 south to the grand canyon cutoff. be prepared for just open country as far as you can see with next to nothing on it. you'll put on miles!
Old 07-31-2018, 01:07 PM   #6

I can't recommend a specific park, but campgroundreviews.com is a good research site; all user reviews. Once if find a park I like I then look at it and the surrounding area with Google Earth.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:40 PM   #7
code.org

Salt Lake City

We stayed at Pony Express RV Park both coming and going on our Yellowstone trip last Sept/Oct. Very nice park with great views of the Wasatch Range. Concrete pads, lots of grass, and well run.
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:46 PM   #8

The 2 days for camping are between Moran and Moab. We will be in Moab for 5 nights. We are pulling a 37 ft. Cedar Creek 5th wheel, but we do have a 3500 Ram Duly to pull it.
We have never put it to the test in mountains but my SIL says we have the truck for it!
After Moab we don't have plans yet....not sure what weather to expect in mid-October in that part of the country.
Thanks so much for the information. We really appreciate it.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:02 PM   #9

Very nice park indeed. Stayed there 2 times
mecapeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:14 PM   #10

Stops in between Jackson and the Utah parks I highly suggest Eden Utah. Anderson Cove campground is right on the water and really great views but no power or hookups. If just staying a night or two should not be a problem espically if you have a generator. I am not sure the weather in oct but it will likely be cold. Not sure about snow then because it is in the valley.

I know this is a different area but before you enter yellowstone in cody (east side) I really liked buffalo bill state park. Best stop on our trip. We had a site on the north shore for a few days. You can see picture below.

Have a great trip!Click image for larger version

Name:	20180713_212208.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	181871
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:59 PM   #11

I'll second Vernal and the nearby Dinosaur National monument (see thousands of real dino fossils in the mountainside!) as wonderful stops on the way to or from Moab. Assume you are going to see Arches & Canyonlands while there. Route 191 south out of Jackson will get you there pretty much.
You'll also pass flaming gorge along the way if you want a little side trip.

I would NOT take the short way to Moab through Colorado...a harrowing drive with steep grades, up and down blind switchback and no shoulders. Instead take the long way on 191 to Moab.. and enjoy the ride.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:08 PM   #12

If you follow HWY. 191 from Rock Springs, Wy. to Vernal, Ut., There is a Fossil Valley RV Park that we enjoyed last month. You can also tour the Dinosaur National Monument while you are there. We then followed 191 onto Price, Ut. We picked up Hwy. 6 onto Moab. Lots of scenic driving down that road.
Goat Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:34 PM   #13

We also recommend Pony Express RV Park on the NW side of town in Salt Lake City.

We recently stayed in Shady Acres RV Park in Green River, UT, near Moab and Arches NP and Canyonlands NP. Very nice sites with full hookups, not overly crowded, and easily accessible from I-70. Much quieter than staying in the busy Moab RV parks.

If possible, try to book a site at Colter Bay RV Park smack in the middle of Grand Teton NP. Best camp site in any National Park that we have ever visited, but very popular. We booked our sites more than a year ahead of time.

Vernal, Utah is a great place to camp south of Grand Teton/Yellowstone NP"s. Fossil Valley RV Park is very nice, and very friendly. Easy drive from there to Dinosaur National Monument, where you can actually touch fossil Dinosaur Bones from 160 million years ago!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:04 AM   #14

Rafter J Bar Ranch campground - near Hill City and Mt Rushmore - we really liked this one and would go back.

Forest River - Rockwood
2018 Ultra Lite 2040WS 5th wh
2020 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Curt Hitch - 392 rear end
sasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:44 AM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrqueen View Post
How hard is it to get into the koa at Salt Lake City? I thought I read a forum about traffic being bad around there? There just doesn't look like a better way to get down to Moab.
We didn't have any troubles. The highway was a little slower than highway speeds but wasn't anything to really write home about.

The park itself was easy to get into and get around within. We had a very long pull-thru site (like 65').

Here are pictures from our visit to SLC:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougse...57684975462496

I didn't stay at Pony Express, just drove past it and it felt like it was very close to the highway. The KOA, for being in a city, is very nicely filled with trees. I'd go back there.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:17 PM   #16

Arco, Utah . . . Mountain View RV Park. Very close to Crater of the Moon National Park that was extremely interesting. RV park was clean, priced right, and believe it or not, a restaurant that serves some of the best food you will ever put in your mouth. I've been in Texas 37 years and have never eaten ribs as good as those. Food is a little expensive, but what you get ! ! And if there is Huckleberry Cheesecake ! ! ! Best desert ever ! !
texasbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbuckeye View Post
Arco, Utah . . . Mountain View RV Park. Very close to Crater of the Moon National Park that was extremely interesting. RV park was clean, priced right, and believe it or not, a restaurant that serves some of the best food you will ever put in your mouth. I've been in Texas 37 years and have never eaten ribs as good as those. Food is a little expensive, but what you get ! ! And if there is Huckleberry Cheesecake ! ! ! Best desert ever ! !
You must mean Arco, Idaho.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #18

We just came down that way on the 89 stopped in Wolf Den Log Cabin Motel RV park. wolfdeninc.com, nice little place nothing special but clean and large space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180801_101027.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	326.6 KB
ID:	182465  
jeepin1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
utah