Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2021, 03:14 AM   #1

Sun Valley,Idaho route ok?

I am route planning my trip from NV to Idaho and am considering taking Hwy. 75 N. thru the Sun Valley area and then heading west to Cascade Lake on hwy 55 N. , then continuing on up towards Coer’d lane. My Allstays app is showing numerous steep, long descents/ascents and windy. I’m used to mountainous driving in my Solera. I don’t pull a toad. Anyone familiar with this area and route? Would you avoid it? Thanks.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:32 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
Would you avoid it? ...
No reason to avoid this route. It is a very scenic drive, I think you'll enjoy this trip. Highway 75, Sun Valley to Stanley is fine. You shouldn't have any problem. The windy section is only a few miles long and is not a bad drive. You might wish to travel it first on Google Maps "Street View" to improve your comfort. I assume you're planning to catch highway 21 east at Stanley to Lowman, the 17 to 55, then north to Cascade.
If your schedule allows, and camp space is available, Redfish Lake is an awesome place. Kirkham Hot Springs, near Lowman, might be another great stop. There are several natural hot springs where you can kick back for an enjoyable rest. There is a Forest Service campground there and also day-use parking. However, it might also be very crowded.
FollowTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 04:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
No reason to avoid this route. It is a very scenic drive, I think you'll enjoy this trip. Highway 75, Sun Valley to Stanley is fine. You shouldn't have any problem. The windy section is only a few miles long and is not a bad drive. You might wish to travel it first on Google Maps "Street View" to improve your comfort. I assume you're planning to catch highway 21 east at Stanley to Lowman, the 17 to 55, then north to Cascade.
If your schedule allows, and camp space is available, Redfish Lake is an awesome place. Kirkham Hot Springs, near Lowman, might be another great stop. There are several natural hot springs where you can kick back for an enjoyable rest. There is a Forest Service campground there and also day-use parking. However, it might also be very crowded.
Great, thanks so much for the info!!
Old 07-16-2021, 10:43 PM   #4

I live in Hailey a bedroom community to the rich people in Sunvalley/Ketchum. Galena Summit is the steepest part and is a piece of cake. Stanley Idaho caters to RVers. Think about weekdays passing though as it gets busy on weekends, a lot of flatlanders lol.
Sunvalley ID RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:43 AM   #5

I completed my trip recently. I drove this route and it was fine. I found it to be a very beautiful drive with some of the best scenery I saw in Idaho. We stopped at Whitefish Lake for kayak/ paddle boarding,.

Unfortunately, further north I hit the “historic, unprecedented heat wave” ( 110-115 degrees thirty miles from Canada- crazy!!!), and cancelled my much anticipated camping reservations there and made the switch in plans to head to the WA coast for a reprieve from the heat and followed it south through OR. Fortunately, I got thru my route home just before the huge fires in OR. & No. CA broke out, while passing through the “Weed” fire.

Sometimes all the careful planning just falls apart and you have to just wing it. ( which I much prefer but with so many campers on the road -now stir crazy from Covid, it’s not as easy this summer.)