Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #1

Tahoe to Bay Area

I need some advise on the safest route to take from South Lake Tahoe to the Bay Area. I drive a 2007 Tahoe and pull a Roo 25rs. We are heading up to Tahoe from the 395 and when we leave we are going west so I won't have any idea of what the road looks like before I drive down. I have heard the 50 has some sketchy sections but I don't know too much about the 88/89 or the 80. If anyone has any input I would appreciate it.
Rooer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #2

I drive those areas quite a bit for work. I would recommend driving around the east side of Lake Tahoe to go to Truckee and hit I80 there. 50 & 88/89 gets quite narrow with tight turns in many spots. Do not go around the west side of the lake, same issues there. Hope this helps. 50 is a shorter way to go but very scary for a trailer.
CA62Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #3

Rooer
Not scarey as previous posted. If you have any experience driving it is safe. Tour buses and semi travel both routes.

Relax and enjoy the ride down highway 50 to Sacarmento and on to San Fran. The road is good and yes you are going down hill from Tahoe to Sacramento but it isn't the Rocky Mountains. It is a good two lane.
Just take it at normal speed and enjoy the trip.

Now if you want to go around Lake Tahoe to Reno then west on Interstate 80 it is wider and higher speeds but you also have to go down hill there also.

Either way is good and you shouldn't worry.

Enjoy your trip.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #4

Rooer, we have been both ways with a 34' travel trailer - family members in South Lake Tahoe. The road around the west side of the lake has a couple of very tight turns 5mph hairpins up hill when going north. Other than that, it is very scenic.

On the other hand, the road down 50 to the Bay Area is fine and I prefer it sometimes to the crowd on I-80 (where you end up if you go around the lake on the west side). About 5 years ago I saw a gooseneck 5th in a snow storm barely make one of the curves - his trailer was starting to pass him but he pulled it out. Keep in mind this was in December.

YouTube videos are out there for at least one of the roads if you so inclined.

My vote is 50 - take your time and enjoy a very beautiful drive. Safe travels and HAPPY CAMPING!

2012 GMC 3500 Duramax Crew Cab, SuperGlide 20k
2014 Cedar Creek 36B4, LP Onan, Level-Up, Trail-Air pin, electric fridge
Campwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:39 AM   #5

Thanks for the input. It is great to know there are so many people on this forum who are willing to help.
Rooer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #6

Can't tell you how many times I have gone up and down the 50, with trailer, fifth wheel, and motorhomes. It is very scenic, just watch your speed and enjoy the ride! When you get into Sacramento, pay attention to the interchanges to get on the 80 west towards San Francisco. Nothing wrong with the 80 going down except heavy truck traffic.

If you need to stay overnight in Sacramento, the Cal Expo Fairgrounds has a convenient RV Park not far off the 50. It's a parking lot, but it's handy.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote