Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2021, 12:59 AM   #1

Taking a 7-10 days trip From Los Angeles to Yosemite

Hi,

I'm planning to take a trip From Los Angeles up to Yosemite in July 23- Aug 1. My plan is to stop by Sequioa first then to Yosemite. I wanted to know have anyone done this before if they can share their experience on where to stay and how many nights at each location? Do you drive 4 hours stragith and stop to rest or do you drive straight to Sequioa first and camp there for 2-3 days and head to Yosemite for 3-4 days and come back half way to stay a night at some campsite and next day go home?

Does this sound like a good plan? Also if someone can suggest where is a good place to stay that will be nice. Or if there is other places to visit along the way I am open. I need to book ASAP because I know its hard to book in Yosemite.

Thank you for your time. I'm pretty sure alot of people when this route before. Just wanted to get more ideas of which places for RV camping and Which site scene to see and visit. Basically a road trip with all the goodies and adventrure.

thank you for your time. appreciate all your feedbacks.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:19 AM   #2
Site Team

If you haven't made reservations yet, I wish you luck because you're going to need it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
If you haven't made reservations yet, I wish you luck because you're going to need it.
NO I havn't. Just doing my reserach . Is there a full hookup in Sequioa? I think i'm just planning to stay in Sequioa and Kings National Park for the 7-10days. Does this sound good?

Anyone know in sequioa and kings have full hook up? if not what is the cloest full hookup around that area?

Thank you
Old 02-25-2021, 10:13 AM   #4

I love Yosemite but not in summer.
I would consider going to Sequoia and skipping YNP altogether.
You can visit some Route 49 towns, antiques, wine country and National Forests in the area.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
I love Yosemite but not in summer.
I would consider going to Sequoia and skipping YNP altogether.
You can visit some Route 49 towns, antiques, wine country and National Forests in the area.
yeah. after doing some research we will just be staying at sequoia only and kings canyon.

so you are saying go visit route 49 town along the way right> anything specific? I'm still trying to book a campsite at sequioa or kings canyon? I cannot find any inside the park where they have full hookup.. If anyone know of one please let me know. all I can find is fulll hookup campsite need to book outside of the park and drive in. is that how it work?
Old 02-25-2021, 12:36 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
yeah. after doing some research we will just be staying at sequoia only and kings canyon.

so you are saying go visit route 49 town along the way right> anything specific? I'm still trying to book a campsite at sequioa or kings canyon? I cannot find any inside the park where they have full hookup.. If anyone know of one please let me know. all I can find is fulll hookup campsite need to book outside of the park and drive in. is that how it work?
As far as I know, neither Sequoia nor Kings have have any hookups at all. In fact, very few National Park campgrounds have any hookups at all.
Haven't you gone to their websites? That would answer your questions faster.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 02-25-2021, 01:14 PM   #7

Quote:
As far as I know, neither Sequoia nor Kings have have any hookups at all. In fact, very few National Park campgrounds have any hookups at all.
Haven't you gone to their websites? That would answer your questions faster.
That's an excellent suggestion. Not only is the campground information included there, there are driving restrictions and some roads don't advise vehicles over 22' long. That means that even my truck at 19' long would just squeak under the limits.
The best source of information is here: https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm
Old 02-25-2021, 04:15 PM   #8

Like others have said. If you have not already made reservations it may be to late. If You need full Hook ups your best bet is to book a space in a private RV park close to the park or park's.

Due to the limited availability of any RV space this coming year I would find parks close to where you want to visit and make a reservation now.

You may have to take a spot further away and then call and cancel later on if you find something closer. If the place you want is full, keep checking back to try and snag a cancelation.

Good luck

Nights Camped 2012 (7) 2013 (33) 2014 (27) 2015 (34) 2016 (27) 2017 (32) 2018 (34) 2019 (35) 2020 (20) 2021 (5)
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:03 PM   #9

Try the KOA in Visalia...it is about 1 hour outside of the park but we did a loop of both Sequoia and Kings Canyon in one day from there. If you've never been before...I'd allow 2 days for Sequoia and one for Kings Canyon and if you like to hike a bit...the MORO ROCK part of Sequoia is awesome and worth another day.
Good decision to avoid Yosemite in full summer.
The KOA is very nice and in the middle of everything in Visalia.
https://koa.com/campgrounds/visalia/

If you prefer something more rural and without much around but a nice setting then Sequoia RV Ranch is less than 10 miles from the park if space is available.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:06 PM   #10

I have tent-camped in Kings Canyon for 40 years and love both Kings and Sequoia NP. As stated, all campgrounds are without services, but i believe the reservation window for the time you are looking may not have opened yet. However, there are a few campgrounds in Three Rivers that are full hook-up and lie just outside of the entrance to Sequoia (Hwy 198). One is Sequoia River Ranch. Easy drive in to the Park from there. We are just over an hour away from YNP, and only visit in late fall and late winter. I can't bare the crowds in the peak season. As others have said, look at the foothill area around Mariposa and other Gold Country towns for good alternatives to Yosemite. There is a nice park in Bass Lake (Hwy 41). Also a reasonable drive in to YNP from there.
1940 Chevy Special Deluxe
1946 Aeronca 7AC Champion
rvflyer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:04 PM   #11
CA Happy Camper

Looks like you have a modest sized rig so forest service sites will work. Many are first come first serve( FCFS)or a mix of Reservable and FCFS. From the mid 1980s through 2008 I camped with a 18' Shasta. (since 20117 a 30' Class A). I would get as close to Sequoia or Yosemite the night before and then plan on getting to a site nlt 11AM to find a site. Mid week the better.

Sequoia south entrance:
Stay in Three Rivers then try Lodgepole or Dorst Creek
Sequoia HY180 entrance to Grant Grove
Can be very busy. I have camped in Kings Canyon. Several CG at Cedar Grove but may take more time than you have. (Save for another trip in the future?)

A few places for an overnight I have used heading to the Sierras.
Riverbend Resort just south of Kingsburg. Can be a destination as it is on the Kings River at HY 99.
The Lakes RV resort (check to see if they allow trailers) Just east of Chowchilla.

The other problem recently with the Covid situation is the CA state parks, Forest service and National Parks seem to keep many campsites un-released for reservations even though looking at dates in the supposed booking window.

Good Luck!
2017 Georgetown 270S
Toad: 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk
scottrubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:29 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrubarb View Post
Looks like you have a modest sized rig so forest service sites will work. Many are first come first serve( FCFS)or a mix of Reservable and FCFS.
The OP wants hookups so forest service sites are out.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:41 PM   #13

Quote:
The OP wants hookups so forest service sites are out.
I think he was referrring too is. One night in 3 rivers then do the dry camp inside the sequioa or kings park for 2 days then we can stay at some RV resort for another night before we head home. Sound like a good plan?

thank you all for all the things to do.

I think we will do hiking for one full day and chill the second day and just go site seeing..
Old 02-25-2021, 10:52 PM   #14

Smile

Kings Canyon NP does have some electric hookups, dont know about water and sewer. You will need reservation.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:00 PM   #15

7-10 day visit to Yosemite and Sequoia

We have stayed at High Sierra RV park in Oakhurst at the junction of routes 41 and 49. Easy day trips into Yosemite via the south entrance, but not "big-rig" friendly. Bass Lake RV Park also comes highly recommended, and boasts sites for "big rigs". Friends have stayed at Three Rivers RV park near Sequoia and recommend it, too. You may be too late to book reservations at any of these parks, but I would give it a try. Yosemite will be slammed with summer visitors, so just chill out when you encounter traffic delays.

For your consideration, we have sometimes combined a visit to Yosemite with a trip across Tioga Pass and further camping at Mammoth Mountain. Their RV Park is very nice, and lots of things to do there in the summer time. Just a thought.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:11 AM   #16

Sequoia/Kings Canyon is fantastic. Our very first camping trip when I was 9 was at Lodgepole. That was 56 years ago and we progressed from tents thru trailers to a motorhome.

In Sequoia Don't miss Crescent Meadows and Tharp's Log, the Sherman Tree, and Moro Rock. In Lodgepole campground take the hike up to Tonopah Falls on the Kaweah River.

In Kings Canyon of course you need to see the Grant Tree. The long drive to the Canyon is worth it. Hope they still have the auto tour.

The Visalia KOA is our typical overnight stay on our trips up north (we are in San Diego). Just get up early so you have the whole day in the park.
Former owner of 2016 Wildwood X-Lite 231RKXL
pwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:37 AM   #17

Few National Parks are really set up for RVs. Consider learning the boondocking skills so you can wake up in the Park. Commuting from an RV park outside is common but wastes a certain amount of time each day. Sequoia is not that big compared to many parks so it is easier to access.

If you have more than a week, you can drive Route 49 and figure out which parts you like.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote