Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2020, 06:38 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four22 View Post
Any thoughts on the Jellystone in Estes Park?
When my kids were younger they loved the jellystone parks. But I’d check to see if they are having their normal load of activities for the kids with COVID.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:23 PM   #42

West of Denver

If I had 9 days to visit Colorado I would certainly not spend all that time based out of Denver. I would start at Spruce Lake RV Park in Estes Park for a few days touring Rocky Mountain NP. Take the "Old Road" one way up to the summit to see what the road was like before the main road across the top was completed. Great Visitors Center at the summit.

Then I'd move to Durango and stay at Alpen Rose RV Park just north of town. Ride the narrow gauge railroad to Silverton. The kids will love it. Easy day trip from there to Mesa Verde NP. Spend a whole day there and have the kids climb all over the Pueblo ruins with a tour guide.

Heading back East try to visit Great Sand Dunes NP. Nothing quite like it.

Then, if time permits, head back to Colorado Springs and see if you have time to drive up Pike's Peak.

Lots of other options in Colorado. You will not be disappointed!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:47 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOhn_R_C View Post
Take a drive up Mt. Evan's, 14,250 and the highest paved road in the US. Nice stop to eat just before the entrance point. Makes a great day trip from the Denver area.
\

If he has any heart problems think twice before going into that kind of altitude.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:31 PM   #44

I lived in Colorado for 5 years loved the place. Estes Park is the most crowded place in the summer I can think of. I went once and avoided it after that.

Denver is a western town and has some great places to visit like the Denver Art Museum. People mentioned The Fort and Buckhorn Exchange. Great places. I have money twice in the old Buffalo Bill Lookalike Contest that used to take place on Bill's Birthday in Feb. It got moved a few years ago.

I would stay somewhere like Conifer or Bailey or Evergreen. Then you can wake up in the mountains and watch the sunsets. You might have elk in your campsite. Town is not that far away and the Rocky Mountains are in your back yard. I like the hot springs in Idaho Springs. The ski resorts are interesting in summer because they have great facilities like restaurants but are quiet that time of year. They may have things like zip lines, mountain biking, and luge runs that kids might like.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:47 PM   #45

Check out the ghost towns. Pretty cool.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:58 AM   #46

Pulling a trailer through Denver will not be Fun.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:15 AM   #47

Couldn't agree more with those that have commented that staying in Central City is definitely "NOT" a wilderness vacation in the mountains. Unless you plan to gamble all day.....

As others have mentioned, there are great national and state parks in Colorado. Take a look at towns that have ski areas as possible destinations. Most ski areas have invested significant $ in summer outdoor activities and are located within the national forest. Hiking, mountain biking, fishing, horseback riding, etc etc etc are popular outdoor activities. Get the kids outside in the mountains! Most Denver residents get in their cars and drive several hours into the mountains to enjoy the outdoors, why not camp in the mountains and wake up with activities outside your camper?
Dreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:17 AM   #48

There are so many places to see and things to do in western CO that the best thing to do is research it yourself. The best advice was to figure out what you want to do and where you want to do it. Staying somewhere like Evergreen or Golden as a base camp is a great idea.
I lived around Denver for a few years. CO is a beautiful place with lots of interesting things to do, but you will be doing it with a lot of other people especially in the summer.
I found driving an RV through Denver is actually easier than a lot of other major cities. Be sure to research roads before you take them with an RV. There are several I wouldn't pull an RV over.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:20 AM   #49

Driving in Denver is no harder than any other city.
The ghost towns are nearly all old mining towns. The roads are terrible. Be careful what vehicle you decide to visit them in. There is usually no help and little phone reception. I used have a girl friend that was a geologist. We went to a hundred mine sites, and then I moved to Nevada to do consulting work for the gold mines.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:47 AM   #50
MaPaChoo

Driving through Denver is not such a problem. If your not there before 6 am Stop in Limon or Bennet and have breakfast. Traffic starts to build up on 70 around 230PM. I would take 70 to 25 and North as 270 clogs up most of the day. Evenings I70 lanes are cut way down for construction of the Ditch. Of course this is all moot if you use I80 and come down I25 then you can avoid Denver all together. 9 Days seems like a long time to spend in CO. but honestly you could spend twice that in Rocky Mtn NP and not see it all. Last year they only allowed you in with reservations because of Covid, but they say they wont do that this year. I understand the base camp and tour idea so you are not breaking camp and setting up every few days its a lot of work. You will get your time in Estes shopping and walking ect.. so you don't need to plan a day there per se.. On a non hiking day you will want to take the highway over the top to Grand Lake. Spend a little time there then head on down toward Granby. Then you can either head to Hot Sulphur Springs to soak or Winter Park and ride the alpine slide. Cut back to I70 on HWY 40 or 9 depending on which way you went you went. Then have dinner in Idaho Springs or Central City and back to camp. There are so many trails in the park you may just want to buy a guidebook to pick the ones the youngsters want to try. Also check into the Jr ranger program and tie some of your hikes to complete that. Have a great time.