Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2021, 08:27 PM   #21

So sorry you are going thru this problem. That fuel pump has been problematical for several years with the “big three” pickup truck manufacturers. I believe Ram has recently decided to recall their Cummins equipped trucks with this fuel pump. Most forums suggest a fuel additive with lubricants. I believe Cummins approves a specific product for use in their engines. It’s called Power Service diesel fuel supplement.
It’s too late for you now, but everyone with a diesel pickup should be using some type of additive (with lubricant) in their fuel.
Good luck, and I hope you get out of Bishop soon!
checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
but everyone with a diesel pickup should be using some type of additive (with lubricant) in their fuel.
Mixing fuel in a vehicle, is this the 1800's?

Sorry, but then it should just be added to all fuel, or an injector system built in the truck that you top off once a month.
Boondockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:43 PM   #23

I can't comment on Chevy as never owned one but IMO, whenever 'broke down' on the road and out of town/state - my first choice would be a dealership for the model vehicle driven.
In my 60 plus years of traveling all over the USA - have only had one such incident. Pulled into the Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler dealership - got in within an hour - vehicle repaired and on the road about an hour later.
Problem was a defective engine oil pump.
I didn't get ripped off either as having an Automotive Master Mechanic Certification, I figured what was wrong beforehand and had replaced oil pumps in the same make/model/year vehicle so knew the cost of parts and average hourly rate for the job.

Knowledge is POWER!
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:46 PM   #24

Some have smartened up

GM went to a replacement for the CP4 in 2020 and Ram went back to the CP3. These pumps don't have the same issues the CP4 have. The CP4 was not designed for low sulfur North American fuel and doesn't get the need lubrication.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondockin View Post

Sorry, but then it should just be added to all fuel, or an injector system built in the truck that you top off once a month.
In a way this is a lot like the removal of lead from gasoline and Zinc based anti wear additives in motor oil.

Engines relying on these elements to prevent engine damage were left to fend for themselves.

Manufacturers will work with fuel suppliers like they did in the past with gas and oil suppliers with both making changes as needed.

Unfortunately consumers are, as usual, having to pay the price brought about by changes that weren't fully researched for consequences.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:14 PM   #26

IMPORTANT INFORMATION.

I had the same problem on the western side of the Sierra. I had purchased a tank of fuel in Oregon from a major oil retailer. I learned from calling the offices of the oil company that the dealer had just received a delivery of diesel just an hour before my visit. The oil company told me to pound sand on liability. They said talk to the dealer.

But, what I did find is my insurance company covers such situations and reimbursed me $4,200.

You never know until you ask.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rver222 View Post
GM went to a replacement for the CP4 in 2020 and Ram went back to the CP3. These pumps don't have the same issues the CP4 have. The CP4 was not designed for low sulfur North American fuel and doesn't get the need lubrication.
This isn't directed just at RVER222 only. There are different arguments on the North American and European fuels but I won't go into that.

I appreciate all the responses, some good advice, some just experiences.
Even my friends from home have many suggestions including coming down here and hauling it back to a local shop for us.

I have learned a lot about the CP4.2 pump and it's history. The general opinion I to add a lift pump and use a lubricating additive. We are doing the CP3 conversion which has had a better history of performance plus adding an AirDog lift pump. On the other hand several articles suggest planning on changing pumps between 100 and 150,000 as that seems to be the average life span of these pumps. We had 189,000 on ours.

Having talked so many people with in these RV park driving Fords and Dodges it is surprising to them when you tell them that some years of their rigs have been using the same pump, gets them off the subject of ours won't do that!!

Interesting the shop owner called me and started off the conversation with "I've been looking on the internet", I laughed at him and told him with all the free time his shop has allowed me I have been too. At one point it got to where I asked him if they really wanted to do the work, he assured me they did, said he was just worried maybe I didn't want to put the money in the repair. I told him that I was aware of the cost or I wouldn't have had it towed to a repair shop. I have yet to figure out why they are dragging their feet on getting it done. His only excuse is that it is a slow job, my thoughts are only if you put other customers ahead of us.

Enough of my nightly rant..We are ending day 53 of waiting for them to finish it. We will go to the shop tomorrow to check on it.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:06 PM   #28

Quote:

For the additional money one pays for a Diesel engine, a few extra cents a tankful won’t break anyone. Clearly, a few bucks a month is better then thousands to repair your diesel.
Asking the oil companies to add anything they don’t have to, is wasting time… that will never happen. The problem with those CP4 fuel pumps is not enough lubrication. I’m not sure adding another tank and more injectors to provide additional lubrication is required for every diesel. My Ram doesn’t have that model Bosch fuel pump, but I feel the few cents it costs to add the lubricant is money well spent. To each his own, as they say. Further, how many diesel owners are using their exhaust brake, and allowing their engines to idle after pulling, to cool down the turbo? If you’re not, you should be doing both.
checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:07 PM   #29

Quote:
This thread is steering me away from a diesel for my next truck. Really just wanted it for the EZ re-fuel at truck stops when towing.
You shouldn't be. The fuel pump in question (CP-4) has been replaced in the newer models from GM with a different brand. The new ones don't "grenade". I can't speak for other manufacturers, though. However, you may have trouble buying a 3/4 ton; depending on trim level, you may wait up to 6 months for your truck.

elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbike View Post
This has become an unbelievable experience (expense), nightmare.

On the 5th of October we were on our way to Brenda, AZ when our Chevvy Duramax decided to eat it's high pressure fuel pump and turned out the turbo was bad too.. That landed us in Tonopah, NV for two nights while we decided what to do.

Taking the advice of the local towing company we decided to have them tow our pickup and camper to Bishop. They gave us glowing recommendations for a diesel shop here in Bishop, now that has turned into some real brown stuff.

Got a call a few minutes ago from the owner just wanting to let us know that they are working on it. We were led to believe that it would possibly be ready today or tomorrow, that was last week. Well no, let me back up, we were led to believe it would be taken care of with in two to three weeks from arrival. That turned out to be just a come on to get us in the shop. Now it's been 46 days and the owner tells us maybe after the first of next month, you know it's over 40 hours of labor. He apparently didn't inquire with his service writer before he made that statement as she already told us that they had been working on it ALL last week. That is usually a forty hour week, isn't it? They never ordered the parts until they had had the pu for almost a month.

I've never really had a vehicle in a shop before with this kind of failure so I am getting a real education on poor service when traveling. We should have taken the rig to Las Vegas, it wouldn't have been that much farther of a tow. I would have hoped for better service, who knows?

My wife had joked earlier that she might be spending her birthday here. That turned into a bad joke as we will be spending Thanksgiving here also, who knows maybe Christmas as this shop owner doesn't have a clue about customer service obviously.

Well enough rant, still didn't make me feel any better. Terrible when they have you by the, well you know.
Yup, Las Vegas baby.... Dealer there.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:12 AM   #31

Sorry about your experience but number one I would expect those fuel pumps to fail since Ram and others recalled those fuel pumps and the CP3 pumps are far more reliable. Second I run Hotshot products on my Diesels and never have issues with lubricity or cetane issues. Try it. Next if you are serious about RV travel I would look at the Ram 3500 HO Cummins for long term miles and reliability. Most Hotshot and RV Delivery people are running these trucks with 5 to 800,000 miles changing the fluids every 12,000 miles. Just the facts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BEAST3.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	266253  
RECONUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:32 AM   #32

Regardless of manufacturer, it pays to do research on your make, and vintage of vehicle. Every one of them has inherent problems. Your vintage truck had the infamous CP4 pump which totally destroys the fuel system when it grenades. Metal shavings all through the injector system that requires a total replacement. The fix is a CP3 retrofit and a lift pump install. Hundreds of YouTubes on the subject. The later model stuff has DEF sensor problems, again across the board of manufacturers. So sorry for your failure, particularly while you were on the road. I drive an older Duramax, and have replaced 2 sets of injectors. Hasn't left me on the side of the road yet, but I always have it hanging over my head. I've taken a number of steps to avoid future failures. I hope people can learn from your experiences, and investigate potential problems with their trucks. They can save themselves huge headaches down the road with some minor, (relative to the cost of failure) modifications. Don't kid yourself that this is about the make. Ford had it's problems with the 6.0 and Dodge had their problems with the early 24 valve cummins. Good luck, I hope you get it resolved.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 05:28 AM   #33

Update to the dishonest Britts Diesel in Bishop, CA

Last Monday, the 20th we made the decision we had had enough of the lies and put offs of Britts Diesel. We went to the shop Monday afternoon and told them to put it back together.

They had it together trying to start it the week before but couldn't get it started.

I talked to the folks at the shop at home and they assured us if they had it put together right it should start. They even emailed the shop some advice on how they start these engines after a complete dry fuel situation.

When we went out on Monday afternoon we asked if they had tried what the email suggested. They told us it didn't work. they gave us the email they had printed out, they received it at 9:00 AM but didn't print it out till 4:33 on Friday afternoon. Those kids working there don't stick around a minute after quitting time so I don't think they had time to do the plumbing changes to try it. When we got there Monday about 1 PM the mechanic that was supposed to be working on our pu was working on a new customer's rig.

Long story short, they threw it back together what they had off from trying to start it and we had it towed back to the rv park we had been in for 75 days. I'm wondering if having two dead batteries had anything to do with it not starting. They were using a charger/jump start unit to try starting it hooking up to the driver side battery. Yep, that's the way they gave it back to us, with two dead batteries. I had mentioned to the mechanic earlier they might charge the batteries due to the fact it had been sitting for over two months. Parasitic draw had killed them by then.

Luckily where we are staying the camp hosts have been wonderful. The fellow loaned me two chargers to charge both batteries over night. Figured with the low temps I didn't need to freeze the batteries too.

My cousin is hauling my stepson's pu down for us to pull our trailer home and he will haul our pu to the local shop at home. Of course they held us here till the snow flies, now we are waiting for good roads all the way home. Getting real familiar with the weather apps and road reports.

Anyway we feel better that we have our pu back in our possession even if it's not running. We feel that Britts Diesel may have done more damage than what was done when we delivered it to them.

Well we have had our education on repair shops when on the road.

You all have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:46 AM   #34

Curious if Britts Diesel charged you for the time they were messing with your truck?
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:47 AM   #35

This is a good read for all diesel owners. I had no idea this was an issue. My 04 Ram has never had an issue. I am concerned about my 19 Ram 2500,

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/what-is-cp4-failure/
Robotics Team Coach
2022 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2891BH
2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel
jdunkmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:50 AM   #36

This is a common enough problem that lawyers are evaluating this issue for a possible class action lawsuit.

https://www.forthepeople.com/class-a...ilure-lawsuit/
Robotics Team Coach
2022 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2891BH
2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel
jdunkmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:14 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunkmg View Post
This is a good read for all diesel owners. I had no idea this was an issue. My 04 Ram has never had an issue. I am concerned about my 19 Ram 2500,

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/what-is-cp4-failure/
From what I have read on Turbo Diesel Registry.com, there has been a factory recall for the 2019 and 2020 Ram pick-up trucks that use the CP4.2 fuel pump. This will also include the C&C trucks that have used the CP4.2 pump. The recall letter was dated 11/11/21 with rework that may begin in the first quarter of 2022.

Here is the link in TDR.COM for the recall information.

https://www.turbodieselregister.com/...recall.272025/
Old 12-30-2021, 10:19 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunkmg View Post
This is a common enough problem that lawyers are evaluating this issue for a possible class action lawsuit.

https://www.forthepeople.com/class-a...ilure-lawsuit/
I will never join a class action lawsuit. Why? The lawyers will get $100,000 for themselves for each participant and the participant will get a $1.00 for his share of the settlement.

Just my take on the any class action lawsuit.
Old 12-30-2021, 10:24 AM   #39

This is one of the worst repair horror stories of all time.
I am sorry for you.
I would have left a long time ago.
Best of luck getting back on the road.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:41 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbike View Post
Last Monday, the 20th we made the decision we had had enough of the lies and put offs of Britts Diesel. We went to the shop Monday afternoon and told them to put it back together.

They had it together trying to start it the week before but couldn't get it started.

I talked to the folks at the shop at home and they assured us if they had it put together right it should start. They even emailed the shop some advice on how they start these engines after a complete dry fuel situation.

When we went out on Monday afternoon we asked if they had tried what the email suggested. They told us it didn't work. they gave us the email they had printed out, they received it at 9:00 AM but didn't print it out till 4:33 on Friday afternoon. Those kids working there don't stick around a minute after quitting time so I don't think they had time to do the plumbing changes to try it. When we got there Monday about 1 PM the mechanic that was supposed to be working on our pu was working on a new customer's rig.

Long story short, they threw it back together what they had off from trying to start it and we had it towed back to the rv park we had been in for 75 days. I'm wondering if having two dead batteries had anything to do with it not starting. They were using a charger/jump start unit to try starting it hooking up to the driver side battery. Yep, that's the way they gave it back to us, with two dead batteries. I had mentioned to the mechanic earlier they might charge the batteries due to the fact it had been sitting for over two months. Parasitic draw had killed them by then.

Luckily where we are staying the camp hosts have been wonderful. The fellow loaned me two chargers to charge both batteries over night. Figured with the low temps I didn't need to freeze the batteries too.

My cousin is hauling my stepson's pu down for us to pull our trailer home and he will haul our pu to the local shop at home. Of course they held us here till the snow flies, now we are waiting for good roads all the way home. Getting real familiar with the weather apps and road reports.

Anyway we feel better that we have our pu back in our possession even if it's not running. We feel that Britts Diesel may have done more damage than what was done when we delivered it to them.

Well we have had our education on repair shops when on the road.

You all have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Glad you are on your way...I would not pay that shop a dime. And if they did before they let you have your truck (hold your truck hostage) I would call h the credit card company for help in stopping the payment, or filling a claim. Ass a lady resort, sue them. I might even sure them any way for all the trouble and costs they put you through.

Unfortunately we rv-ers are at risk to shady repair people like this. There are a lot of dishonest people out there that will take advantage of us in an instant. I had one try to do that with me on 58th in Barstow. I forget what the problem I had I think of Tire needed to be changed or something Marin elli I pulled into the service station they were sitting in the bay and chairs when I pulled in they come running out to my vehicle and told me did you hear that I said hear what, they said that knocking is a come here I want to show you something I know what it is they looked under my trailer and he says right there see that that's not installed right they were looking at something on the axle it it has a piece left out of it and if we don't put it in your axles going to shift and this and that. Luckily I could already sense the scam I said no that's okay see you later I'm out of here and I left. I've had the same thing happen in the old days when they would come out and check your oil I was in a gas station to get gas they fill me up they check my oil level and they said looky here you're a quartt down. Going to protective since I've already just checked the oil that morning before I left I told him stick it all the way in and you'll see it's full a matter of fact just put the stick back in and then I got out made sure it was in all the way paid the man for the gas and I said I hope this s*** comes back on you is it cuz you're a jerk. I was already aware of that scam nail short stick people they'll put a dry can of oil up there like you're adding oil charge you for a used can of oil over and over they do that with every vehicle to go through there they made a dollar extra on each vehicle. I wish it was legal to just knock the car out of them.

Good luck with your future endeavors and please, please let us know the final outcome how you got home and how the thing was repaired.

And I hope you get home in time and have a Happy New Year.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote