Old 10-31-2017, 10:23 PM   #1

Travel from Moab Utah to the Grand Canyon

Hey guys, I am planning a long trip next year. I have a question on part of the drive. I will be going from Moab Utah and then on to the Grand Canyon.
What I am looking at is taking hwy. 191 from Moab south into Arizonia then hwy. 160 east toward Grand Canyon. I will be pulling my 21' Wolf Pup trailer.
Can anyone tell me if this route is a good route to travel or should I look for an alternative. I know I could go back west and hit 15 south into Las Vegas and then back east to the canyon, but that would add on more miles and time. If anyone is familiar with my route, I would appreciate your input.
JesseP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:42 PM   #2

It's probably close to 10 years than I've been down there but 191 south is pretty good, drove from Blanding to Moab and back one evening to have dinner - Blanding is in a bone dry county . You probably don't want to take 160 east, that would take a looong time... guess you meant west. In any case take 163 west which takes you by Monument Valley. Assuming you have a truck or SUV, park the trailer and head into Monument Valley (dirt roads). Then join 160.

HTH.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:36 AM   #3

Hi,

By all means, go through Monument Valley. The main road is paved, but there are no services.

If you are not in a hurry, there are decent stopoff campgrounds at Sand Island and Navajo Mountain.

Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:26 AM   #4

Hwys 191 and 160 are both good roads so you'll be fine. I would advise caution in the spring / fall when deer and elk are migrating to different elevations. Nearly hit several about a month ago just south of Monticello, UT.

As others have suggested, a diversion to Monument Valley is highly recommended.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:27 PM   #5

We actually came south on 191 and west on 95, south on 261 which takes you thru the Moki Dugway down to Monument Valley. Very scenic and exciting. The Moki Dugway is one of those HS moments and you should not have a problem with what you are pulling. Eventually you will come to Medicine Hat and then on to Kayenta. I recommend staying at Navajo National Monument (free). In Kayenta, stop at the Burger King because there is a fascinating display on the code talkers.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:05 PM   #6

Don't miss Monument Valley. There is a nice campground at Goulding's, just up the road from the Monument. Fantastic views of the valley from your campsite! The dirt road through the monument is great. A side trip to the Valley of the Gods is well worth your time. Brochures describing it and directions are available at the campground office. It is a little expensive, but the only game in town. Nice campground with full hookups.

Happy Trails
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:32 PM   #7
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
I guess you mean you're going to the south rim of the Grand Canyon, but you can take little side trips and take in two of the three regions of Canyonlands NP that are almost as fantastic as the Grand Canyon along the way. Another side trip would be to take in Natural Bridges National Monument as well. This part of America is so beautiful, do enjoy as much of it as you can.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, utah